Your favourite holiday location.

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Re: Your favourite holiday location.

Post by Darrell71 »

Machupicchu14 wrote:For some particular reason I would love to go to India but I'm a bit scared of going there. Something which doesn't happen when I think of going to Pakistan and Iran. Well that's just me I guess :lol:
Oh good god. I have no words. You'd be 100% safer in most parts of India compared to any part of Pakistan. (Not gonna talk about Iran coz it's none of my business really.).
Machupicchu14 wrote:. About terrorism, I've read their government is trying its best to combat it
I CAN'T LIVE WITH THESE LIES THEIR GOVT IS SPREADING OMG :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If letting terrorist organizations routinely carry out border attacks and kill Indian soldiers, right under the very nose of the Pakistani govt, can count as combating terrorism, then sure, they're trying their very best. :roll:
You can call me Sunskriti!
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

It seems to me that if I were a Muslim, I would feel safer in a Muslim country, while if I were a Hindu or Sikh, I would feel safer in India.
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

And what do you feel right now, as a Christian? (I'm assuming you're Christian, but if not, basically what do you feel is safer as a non Muslim and non Hindu? )
KEVP wrote:It seems to me that if I were a Muslim, I would feel safer in a Muslim country, while if I were a Hindu or Sikh, I would feel safer in India.
14.5% of Indians are Muslims, while only 1% of Pakistanis are Hindu. There are many predominantly Muslim areas in India where you'd be perfectly safe as a Muslim, and Punjab is the land of Sikhs, whereas Hindus are a much more minor part of the Pakistani population. Even in Hindu dominated areas in India, you're honestly fine. (unless someone thinks you're eating beef, which is banned by law.)
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Darrell71 wrote:
Machupicchu14 wrote:For some particular reason I would love to go to India but I'm a bit scared of going there. Something which doesn't happen when I think of going to Pakistan and Iran. Well that's just me I guess :lol:
Oh good god. I have no words. You'd be 100% safer in most parts of India compared to any part of Pakistan. (Not gonna talk about Iran coz it's none of my business really.).
Obviously you don't know much about what Pakistan really is as a country and how tourists feel when they have been there. Pakistan, apart from the borders, which are quite dangerous can definitely be considered a safe place to be in. And as a tourist, woman and Christian even though I love India with all my heart, I would feel safer travelling to Pakistan. :D
(Although if you come to think of it, you are exposed to dangers everywhere!)
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:My favourite destination is probably Dorset - around Purbeck - and also Cornwall, around Fowey, because of the DuMaurier connection. :-D
Rob, I've spent 10 days in Polruan opposite of Fowey in order to visit most places mentioned in DDM's novels.
It's such a beautiful part of Cornwall!
Almost every afternoon I took the small passenger ferry that connects Polruan and Fowey in order to have Cream Tea in Fowey.
Or I drove with my car to Kilmarth and down to the beach with the fortification (Par Sands?). There's the Rashleigh (sp?) pub.
I also did DDM's favorite walk starting on the hill slightly above Ferryside.
One afternoon I filmed her son Christian Browning and his wife working in their garden at Ferryside while we were in the Old Ferryside Inn a bit further up the hill.
I've been to Tywardreath which is mentioned in "The King's General" and in "The House on the Strand". In the church hangs a metal plate mentioning the heroine from "The King's General".
The best walk was the one in Lerryn. Coming from the big parking, I crossed Lerryn Creek on those stepping stones and turned left into the woods (the same woods that are part of "The Wind in the Willows") and then walked towards the Fowey River. There I turned right until I reached the old church with the churchyard by the river.

Where did you go?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

floragord wrote:Safely back from Venice, the last of our trio of adventures this summer! I can't recommend a visit enough, it is just beautiful - and we were lucky with the weather. We were on a river boat parked along the waterfront - 7 bridges walk from the Doges Palace :wink: ! To cross the Bridge of Sighs (from the palace to the prison) and to view the Golden Staircase and magnificent paintings has been something I've long wanted to do, another ambition fulfilled!, but there's so much - a gondola ride on the Grand Canal, crossing the Rialto Bridge, St Mark's Cathedral, a stone built shout of joy with its wonderful frontage, viewing glass making on the island of Murano and lace on the island of Burano... Wonderful memories indeed! Now we can totter off to Portmeirion and view the photos and recall the experiences! Nice to be back on the Forums meanwhile!
Floragord, we've been to Venice in October 2015. The weather was lovely, but even though it was late October, there were way too many tourists. I guess there never is a time where one has Venice to himself. :cry:
We celebrated my husband's birthday taking the last possible gondola ride (just the two of us) before it was getting dark and then the full moon came out. It was magical.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Eddie Muir wrote:I’ve also watched Don’t Look Now several times, Anita and read the short story by Daphne du Maurier - both extremely atmospheric and enjoyable. I know what you mean about the recent dramatisation of Ian McEwan’s The Child in Time reminding you of Don’t Look Now.

Chick and I visited Venice during our Lake Garda holiday a few years ago and we loved it. :D
I love the film, too. But haven't read the short story yet.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Darrell71 wrote:Hmm, I can't quite seem to decide my fave holiday location. But I prefer places that are rainy, cold and cloudy, and though I'd really love to go to Greece, I'm dreading all the sun. :lol:
Tbh I love the Northwest part of USA, but it's home, so not exactly a holiday location. So I'd have to say southern Europe. Ooh, or England! I loved Spain, especially Barcelona, and Andorra. I also loved the Dolomites in Italy, and personally would like to revisit Vienna.
I've not yet visited Vienna. It was too far away when we traveled from Luebeck to Salzburg 3 years ago. We sure would have enjoyed to include it!

My favorite holiday location in Europe is Herm (Channel Islands) for it's peace and quiet setting. Within less than 2 hours you can walk around the island. The food at the White House Hotel was excellent. The room was so beautiful!
Same with Tresco (Isles of Scilly), beautiful walk around the island and you come across two tiny castles/fortresses on the beach. Plus there's Tresco Abbey and the walhalla with the many figureheads.
My favorite beach is Wonwell Beach at the Erme Mouth near Kingsbridge in Devon. By far the most beautiful beach I've seen in Europe.

I wonder if Portmeirion in Wales would be a nice place to stay? Did anybody ever visit it?

Over here in the US I love Nantucket Island more than any other place I've been to. But definitely not in the summer. :roll:
It's beautiful in late October, however, some of the museums are closed by then. We plan to celebrate André's birthday in October there. :D
Popham Beach in Maine (mentioned at length in several of Douglas Kennedy's excellent novels) is also very beautiful and I hope I can persuade André to go there for a long weekend next year in the spring, before the sand flies become active. I've been there once in August 2005, but the sand flies were horrible. The landscape is lovely.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Where did you go?
I can't quite remember all the places, but we've been to that area several times. We went to Fowey, and I bought a water colour print of 'ferryside' as viewed from Fowey, which I have in a frame on our living room wall.

We also walked around Menabilly, from the little cove that features in Rebecca, with its towering rocks and rugged cliffs dropping into the sea in the bay. There's a small lake in back part of the cove, and a small house, which was apparently more like a hut in DuMaurier's day and was what she based Rebecca's beach hut on. We walked all up along behind the cove, past the gates of Menabilly, though we couldn't see the house as its a long way back, and through the many rhododendrons back to the beach - it felt very Rebecca-like! :-D

We also visited Jamaica Inn a few times. I love Bodmin moor and the wild lonely feeling it has!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Reading these posts about Cornwall, makes me feel really honoured to have lived here for the past 26 years.

We often visit Fowey, and have seen Ferryside many times. I've even painted a watercolour painting of the house myself, which I don't have as it was sold in one of the exhibitions I had over in Fowey.

Bodmin Moor is indeed somehow magical, and extremely eerie in the winter months.

We've recently discover the Isle of Wight, and visited this island for the first time in April. We thoroughly loved it and are going back again in June. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

Machupicchu14 wrote: (Although if you come to think of it, you are exposed to dangers everywhere!)
Well, I assume everyone can tell that we're talking in relative and not absolute terms. :)
Machupicchu14 wrote: Obviously you don't know much about what Pakistan really is as a country and how tourists feel when they have been there. Pakistan, apart from the borders, which are quite dangerous can definitely be considered a safe place to be in. And as a tourist, woman and Christian even though I love India with all my heart, I would feel safer travelling to Pakistan. :D
I'm not saying it's some sort of horribly dangerous place, though obviously the borders are, but apart from that, it's not, I agree. But how someone can think it's safer than India, I simply do not understand. The crime stats say otherwise, tourism stats say otherwise, they're not even secular. I honestly am simply so dumbfounded at this moment that I don't even know what to say, so I'm just going to leave it. I just hope that one day when you go there, (as I'm sure you will), such a situation does not arise that I get a chance to say I told you so. :roll:
PS: Venezuela is run by a dictator. :D :D
Chrissie777 wrote: Floragord, we've been to Venice in October 2015. The weather was lovely, but even though it was late October, there were way too many tourists. I guess there never is a time where one has Venice to himself. :cry:
I agree, we stayed in an AirBnb and the woman who owns it came over from the mainland to show us around before we settled in. She was born and brought up in Venice but moved to the mainland when it became too expensive. She was telling us about the hordes of tourists and how her city doesn't feel like her own anymore.
She looked us straight in the eye and said "when we locals come over from the mainland, we think, 'where did my city go?'" It was honestly heartbreaking.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:We also walked around Menabilly, from the little cove that features in Rebecca, with its towering rocks and rugged cliffs dropping into the sea in the bay. There's a small lake in back part of the cove, and a small house, which was apparently more like a hut in DuMaurier's day and was what she based Rebecca's beach hut on. We walked all up along behind the cove, past the gates of Menabilly, though we couldn't see the house as its a long way back, and through the many rhododendrons back to the beach - it felt very Rebecca-like! :-D
We also visited Jamaica Inn a few times. I love Bodmin moor and the wild lonely feeling it has!
I bought several Ferryside postcards as bookmarks for a few DDM novels, but never saw a painting from it.
Yes, I've discovered that small lake and little house, but did not know it's related to "Rebecca".
in 1987 I've seen Menabilly from afar and have a slide from it...quite an exciting day, because I did run into all kinds of warning signs like "beware of the geese". :shock:
The small church where DDM's funeral service was held is on that same road that leads to Menabilly, we did drive by it.
I've been to Jamaica Inn twice, because they have a DDM room with her desk. It's close to Llanhydrock House which has the most beautiful gate house and a lovely café with good scones. When you walk from the car park through the woods to the gate house there are thousands of blue bells in the woods in May.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I haven't read any Daphne Du Maurier (just not interested for some reason), but I love Lanhydrock House too, Chrissie! :D It's one of my favourite National Trust properties — it's especially fascinating how the house is set up so you can see just about every aspect of life in a grand mansion in late Victorian/Edwardian times, from the servants' quarters (and all the hard work they had to do!) to the rich family's rooms and the children's nurseries and schoolroom as well. As you say, the grounds are beautiful too and there's a really good cafe. I always visit Lanhydrock if I'm in the area.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:My favourite destination is probably Dorset - around Purbeck - and also Cornwall, around Fowey, because of the DuMaurier connection. :-D
Rob, I've spent 10 days in Polruan opposite of Fowey in order to visit most places mentioned in DDM's novels.
It's such a beautiful part of Cornwall!
Almost every afternoon I took the small passenger ferry that connects Polruan and Fowey in order to have Cream Tea in Fowey.
Or I drove with my car to Kilmarth and down to the beach with the fortification (Par Sands?). There's the Rashleigh (sp?) pub.
I also did DDM's favorite walk starting on the hill slightly above Ferryside.
One afternoon I filmed her son Christian Browning and his wife working in their garden at Ferryside while we were in the Old Ferryside Inn a bit further up the hill.
I've been to Tywardreath which is mentioned in "The King's General" and in "The House on the Strand". In the church hangs a metal plate mentioning the heroine from "The King's General".
The best walk was the one in Lerryn. Coming from the big parking, I crossed Lerryn Creek on those stepping stones and turned left into the woods (the same woods that are part of "The Wind in the Willows") and then walked towards the Fowey River. There I turned right until I reached the old church with the churchyard by the river.
When I used to visit my grandparents every summer as a child, I never particularly cared for the South coast. At that age, I wanted sand and sea, not fishing villages! Their nearest resort was Looe (which does actually have a beach), but I still found it very boring compared with Perranporth and Newquay. It's only as I got older, I began to appreciate places like that more. I think Polperro in particular has got a lovely charm!

We visited Par a couple of times, but one year a couple of my family were struck down by a vicious stomach bug. The following year, my sister nearly drowned. So it jaded our view of the place! Visiting Cornwall a few years ago with my brother's family, we headed down to Par just to jog a few memories but it seems to be occupied by a big holiday camp so we didn't stop.

I vaguely remember visiting Carlyon Bay once. Doesn't that have a wooden shipwreck on the beach?

As for Tywardreath, I've been there too! I was probably only about six at the time, but I remember sitting in the back garden of a friend of my grandparents.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Carlyon Bay has been spoilt by what was going to be holiday apartments on the beach, and it's been left looking like a rather deserted place now.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member