Pets

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Pets

Post by Boatbuilder »

So sorry to hear about your Guinea pig, Katharine. It’s always sad to lose a pet, no matter what the animal is - big or small.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Sorry to hear the sad news Katherine, as losing a pet is never easy. At least you have an understanding vet, as I did many years ago when I encountered a similar situation with one of our son's gerbils, which as far as I can remember only lived for about two years.
Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Gerbils (and hamsters as well) only have a lifespan of between two and four years as pets. Possibly even less in the wild.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sorry to hear about your guinea pig, Katharine.

Bertie, the cats look sweet and I'm glad you've found a way to take care of them.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Thanks, Boatbuilder and Anita (for your comments about the cat photos).

They've just had their cat flap installed this morning. It's one that, currently, just opens and shuts for any cat. But does seem to have the function for being set to 'microchip' should I later have the cats chipped. I was also worried about a collar activated one at this stage as they're very much kittenish / hunters, and are always climbing trees and everywhere else they can, so I'm concerned they'd get caught on something or other. Hopefully they'll calm down a bit at some point!

I'm leaving the flap trapped open at this stage, and only closing the door at times to see how they react, while they get used to yet another change! Ginge has tentatively used it a couple of times so I'm sure they'll be OK with it pretty soon.

Beauty has started to become a bit of a lap cat now, as well as Ginge! She's also, it turns out, a bit of a playful scratcher and nibbler. So my hands have little cuts all over the place where she unintentionally scratches me while she goes 'a bit mad' with her legs while licking and nibbling at the same time (some men would pay good money for that in other circumstances! :) )
Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Oh, and I'm also getting some gates attached to the top of the drive next week, as they're so kittenish and mad that I'm worried about them getting run over in one of their mad spells.

There weren't any main gates when I bought the house and, with my house cats tending to stay indoors, I didn't bother getting them. But if I'm keeping these as 'outdoor pets' for now, then I'd feel safer with some gates blocking them in.

With the large donation to the charity, the skip for clearing the shed for them, the cat flap, and now the gates, it's been quite an expensive few weeks cat wise! But I'm saving a lot of money - and stress - being down to feeding just two outdoor cats (plus indoor Slinky), rather than the 14 and counting that I was facing, so long term it's looking a lot better. :)
Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

It sounds like you're having quite an expensive time, Bertie, but I'm sure the kittens appreciate all you are doing for them. :D

A couple of nights ago I got what may be some of the best pictures I have taken of Suki. She was on my bed having a wash and she looked up just as I took this first picture with her tongue still out.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Great photos, John!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Yes, lovely photos, Boatbuilder. :D
Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

Super photos John. I wish Mrs. Reilly would look at the camera like that, especially as they are so alike!!!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Gorgeous photos of Suki, John — and it's lovely to hear Ginge and Beauty are doing well, Bertie. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Thank you all for your comments. I assure you those pictures were sheer luck, Monique. Maybe when Mrs. Reilly is relaxed and tired might be a good time to try and talking to her softly which is what I have to do with Suki.

Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Thanks, Courtenay. :D
Yeah, they seem very much at home in the shed, now. And they've always loved exploring (and hunting, sadly) in the garden. So they seem very happy - though I'm sure they'd like some warmer weather!

They were brave enough to use the cat flap straight away so I was able to shut them in last night while it was a cold night so hopefully they'll have been a little wamer. Though I've got the flap trapped open at the moment, so the final step will be them having to push the flap open each time - which I'll start tomorrow. :)
Society Member
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

Does anyone use any Oral flea tablets on their cats? If so, which brand would they recommend works best for putting in their cats food?

I've always put stuff on the back of my indoor cats neck, and kept them indoors (not often a problem) if it was raining over the next few days.

But obviously that's impossible with my 'outdoor' cats, Ginge and Beauty, as they're out hunting and exploring in all weather. So I'm hoping to find an Oral flea & worm treatment that's easy to get down in their food (though they don't seem to like much 'wet' food so far - preferring biscuits and ripped up pieces of chicken!)
Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

I've never used tablets for flea treatment Bertie, as they don't like taking them and they struggle like mad when I try to give them oral meds.

I think the problem with giving tablets in the food is two-fold.
1. Even crushed up they can taste them and may leave the food so don't get the benefit of the medication.
2. If there is more than one cat and one doesn't eat all their food at one go, the other cat may finish it and have too much of the medication - subject to '1' not being a problem of course.
I even got my vet to give me the worm treatment as a spot-on as well. The cats are both in a 'Healthy Pet Club' which I pay so much a year for and it includes their flea and worm medications and vaccinations. I've never really thought about them going out in rain after. Can you not lock them in the shed for a short time after applying. I would think half an hour or so would do it, or better still, just wait until the weather is dry one day.

Which reminds me, Freddie is due for his vaccination and annual check-up on Thursday and I need to clean his teeth before he goes - something else he hates. :D

Society Member