The Beatles

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

jen wrote:Baby You Can Drive My Car is superb - "I've got a driver and thats a start" makes me laugh every time. Also like Fool on the Hill, and Norwegian Wood is great too not forgetting Penny Lane, Octopus's Garden, Get Back, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour, Do You Want to Know a Secret............I could go on and on!!

I tend to like compilation albums because then you get a bit of everything but if I had to choose then my favourite would be Revolver - I like the cover too.

Favourite Beatle, without a contest, is the wondeful, the divine, the superbly talented John Lennon.
Oh, Jen; how succinctly put. You and I (and I guess, Matt) are in total harmony... 8)
Society Member
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

All we need is one more person and we've got a tribute band :lol:
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Count me in as a newbie 8)

Society Member
jen

Post by jen »

I can't sing so I'll have to be Ringo!!
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Susie

Post by Susie »

Why do they call themselves the beatles is it after the car or the beetle itself?
I remember once walking down the road and my friend said "hey there is a beetle." I quickly looked down so as not to step on it, and to look on the pavement for it. I kept saying "where" she just kept laughing. We both had a good laugh afterwards, as you can see I am not into cars. :D
There is always something else new to learn.
jen

Post by jen »

Does it necessarliy have to be after something? I thought they were just called The Beatles........never occured to me to wonder why!
gingerale

Post by gingerale »

weeell, I´m glad someone has started here a thread about The Beatles... I really love them since I was fifteen and they are my favourite band! :)
About their name... John Lennon once said that the name Beatles came as a vision: a man appeared in a flaming pie saying that from that day on they were going to be named The Beatles with an A, and so they called themselves :P
I think they were a great band that contributed a lot to the 60´s, they meant more freedom, a new way of dressing and a new way of music.
Their music changed with the times and so we have their initial music, more pop , and their later music, in which they experiment with new musical instruments and psychedelia.
I love all of their music but my favourite albums are Rubber Soul, Revolver and the White Album. My favourite Beatle is Paul :) And it´s very difficult to say a favourite song as there are lots of them, but I choose I am the walrus, Here, there and everywhere, I´m so tired and Happiness is a warm gun :P
Blimey!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Before "The Beatles" published their first single, a band called Quarrymen played music in the pubs and night clubs of Liverpool in 1960. This band consisted of

* John Lennon
* Paul McCartney
* George Harrison
* Pete Best
* Stuart Sutcliffe

In the same year the Quarrymen gave concerts in Hamburg, St. Pauli. In Hamburg they had the first contact with sex and drugs and they met Ringo Starr. As they had many problems, for example George was under age, they had to leave Germany. Stue Sutcliffe stayed in Hamburg and married Astrid Kirchherr.

Back in Liverpool their first concert took place in the famous Cavern Club . Here they were discovered by Brian Epstein, who traded with records. He gave them their first contract and that's the reason why he became their manager.

When Paul, John, Pete and George were back in Hamburg 1962, they played the songs "Skinny Minni" and "Sweet Georgia Brown" together with Tony Sheridan.

Because of the contract they were produced by George Martin. He thought that Pete Best, the drummer, was not good enough for the group. So Pete Best was substituted by Ringo Starr. Now they were looking for a name which was easy to remember. The slang-word for motor cycle queen, "beetles" , in German Käfer, was changed into Beatles, coming from "Beat", in German "Schlag". Now the group consisted of

* John Lennon (1940 - 1980; rhythm guitar)
* Paul McCartney (1942; bass guitar)
* George Harrison (1943; lead guitar)
* Ringo Starr (1940; drums)

Lennon and McCartney were the songwriters.

More info (where this was taken from) can be found here
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

petermax wrote:Great as The Beatles were, they should never have stopped performing live.
I think they had to; they couldn't hear themselves for screams and the crowds were out of control.

A couple of years ago I saw a tribute band called (I think) The Silver Beatles and they were superb. A right handed 'Paul' gave them away, but they did the voices very well. As the concert progressed through the 60s they changed costume several times to reflect the passing years. I think that concert would have been a lot more fun than the real thing because I could hear, and everyone was there to have fun and not pull the band limb-from-limb!

Ming - you can find out a bit more about the George Harrison concert for Bangladesh.

http://www.theconcertforbangladesh.com/

I was a year younger than you when it happened, and it was the first big fund raising Pop Concert.

best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
jen

Post by jen »

I've seen the Bootleg Beatles a few times and they are superb but nothing is ever as good as the real thing.

What is everyone's least favourite Beatles song? I think mine would have to be HArd Days Night or EIght Days a Week.......but Hey Jude and Imagine need to be on the list too! Don't think that's going to make me very popular!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Although Imagine is, strictly speaking, a John Lennon track, I agree, it ranks up there with the best. Let it Be is up there with my favourites.
Society Member
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

I think my least favourite Beatles track is "Number Nine" on the White Album (at least I think it's supposed to be a track). I always skip that one.

Imagine is a good song, but I would rank many of the Beatles' joint efforts much higher.
jen

Post by jen »

I think Imagine is over-played and thats why I don't like it. Ditto for Hey Jude.

I was watching Tweenies with my daughter the other day and they did the song "Ugly Bug Ball". For those who don't know, the grown-ups are called Max and Judy, the kids are Bella, Milo, Jake and Fizz and the dogs are Doodles and Izzles. For the "Ugly Bug Ball", Doodles and dog dressed up as a beetle (as in the insect, that isn't a typo!) and when he met Judy said "Hey, Jude" which had me howling but, obviously, my daughter didn't get it at all!
gingerale

Post by gingerale »

jen wrote: What is everyone's least favourite Beatles song? I think mine would have to be HArd Days Night or EIght Days a Week.......but Hey Jude and Imagine need to be on the list too! Don't think that's going to make me very popular!
My least favourite song of the Beatles is All my loving... I don´t know why but I never liked that song much... Yellow submarine is another one I use to skip when listening to them and Revolution 9, which is not even a song, it´s just a strange thing :D
Hey Jude is a nice song, though the nanana part is too long... Imagine is a great song for me, but is just a Lennon song, not a Beatles one :)
Blimey!
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

jen wrote:I've seen the Bootleg Beatles a few times and they are superb but nothing is ever as good as the real thing.

What is everyone's least favourite Beatles song? I think mine would have to be HArd Days Night or EIght Days a Week.......but Hey Jude and Imagine need to be on the list too! Don't think that's going to make me very popular!
Hey Jude
Something
Get Back

While we're on the subject of songs of the individual Beatles, does anyone else like C Moon from Paul McCartney and Wings? I think it's a great little ditty!