The Beatles

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Stephen wrote: While we're on the subject of songs of the individual Beatles, does anyone else like C Moon from Paul McCartney and Wings? I think it's a great little ditty!
Sorry - one of my most disliked!

I remember watching Paul sing it on Top of the Pops and he was pulling a most peculiar face! I've never liked much of his solo stuff.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I love C Moon, and also Jenny Wren. Paul is an amazing solo artist and often has lived in the shadow of fellow-writer, John.

My least faves?

Lady Madonna and Can't Buy Me Love.
Society Member
gingerale

Post by gingerale »

C Moon is not a bad song but for me is not a favourite neither. My favourtie song from Paul in his solo career is Somebody who cares, which is a beautiful song :)
Blimey!
tix

The Beatles

Post by tix »

I have gone into this discussion about the Beatles very thoroughly and after much research my findings reveal one or two other entertainers who are (or were) more accomplished. “Hank Snow” together with his “Rainbow Ranch Boys” (Howdy, Pardners) heralds a group that exhibited almost unapproachable expertise in their chosen genre. Their performances were widely acclaimed all over America and it would have been good to see this group plus the Beatles side-by-side just to gauge audience reaction.

Another musician who would put the Beatles as individuals out to graze is a female who bears the most unusual name of “Amal Hijazi.” I’m convinced that she has a wonderful voice and great stage presentation which is essential for an artist. All round she is an extremely good singer although, very strictly speaking, I haven’t actually listened to any of her work to date but that’s only because I'd never heard of her until a few days ago. I'll search round the shops for an LP so that I can verify my conclusions.

I'm sure these performers hold (or held) their admirers spellbound whereas the Beatles' audiences yelled and shouted and stamped their feet throughout the whole show. This could have been an attempt by the spectators to shut the band up so they could hear themselves think but I’m open to correction in that respect.

Not wanting to upset anyone I can place it on record that the Beatles are able to carry a tune and are definitely above “Good.” In some respects they ascend to “Very Good” when tunes like “She’s a Woman” come into the argument. For the fan's sake I would even venture to describe them as "Very Good Indeed" but personally I prefer the more High-Brow category of music.
Jools
Favourite book/series: The Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Julian

Post by Jools »

Ming wrote:Oooh, that's going to be a lot of fun! :D

Jools, I hope you don't mind?
Not at all.

*has visions of half of Loddon Hall gathered round car warbling away to Hey Jude* :wink:
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
annabeldaisy

Post by annabeldaisy »

When i started senior school in the early '80's it was compulsory to take music lessons for the first 3 years. Our teacher Mr Brough was a drummer and i think for every lesson for 3 years we had to basically sit and sing for 40 minutes whilst he drummed along to The Beatles - 3 Years- he was obsessed!!! It was his own personal choir, we hated it. Now as a 30 something i absolutely love them and thanks to him can remember most of the lyrics - I have always thought that it would be lovely to bump into him and tell him how much i now love them, but alas...So thank you Mr Brough
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

My daughter sings in the bath - so do most kids I imagine. Bet they don't all sing "Yellow Submarine" lol
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Music is my passion. But I don't know a single Beatles song I really like. Their music has nearly always been bland background music to me - same goes for the lyrics.

I realise that's probably heresy on this string. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Jools

Post by Jools »

Viking Star wrote:
I realise that's probably heresy on this string. :shock: :shock: :shock:
:lol:
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
Jools

Post by Jools »

And forgot to say, I walked down the aisle to "Across the Universe" and erm, out to the theme tune from Star Wars :shock:
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:Sorry - one of my most disliked!

I remember watching Paul sing it on Top of the Pops and he was pulling a most peculiar face! I've never liked much of his solo stuff.

Viv
In that case, I take it you don't want to see ME performing it on an imaginary piano?
:D :D :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrC9_kHWQoU
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Jools wrote:And forgot to say, I walked down the aisle to "Across the Universe" and erm, out to the theme tune from Star Wars :shock:
One of my favourite tracks of all time is the theme from Superman - which I've several times heard people say is a rip-off of the Star Wars theme (both of course by John Williams) - so I can very well understand your appreciation of the Star Wars theme. :D
Jools

Post by Jools »

Just watched Stephen on Youtube. Love the shirt!!!
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Jools wrote:Just watched Stephen on Youtube. Love the shirt!!!
Thank you very much!
:wink:
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Gosh, I don't think I have posted much in this thread since I started it. I plead exams and revising as my excuse. Anyway, I am just going to pick a few comments to respond to.

Favourite Beatle:
I have a really hard time choosing between Paul and John, and it changes daily. They both brought something different to the group; they were such different songwriters and yet they complemented each other brilliantly. No, I just can't choose.

Favourite songs include:
"Revolution", "You Never Give Me Your Money", "Sgt Pepper's LHCB" (although I think I like the reprise even more), "Let It Be", "I Am The Walrus", "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Girl", "Michelle", "Do You Want to Know a Secret?" and loads, loads more. Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

"C-Moon" ... definitely not a fan. I like a lot of McCartney's silly songs, but there are some that I just can't abide. Paul has been responsible for a few duds in his time, but then considering his output, that isn't a surprise! And he is most definitely excused his occasional bouts of silliness. Interesting performance, though, Stephen. :lol:

And hey, a new Macca album is due out on June 4th, folks. :D