What makes you annoyed?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: What makes you annoyed?

Post by Boatbuilder »

I couldn't agree more, Bertie. I've thought that for so many years now. They could at least give you the option of skipping them and watch them at the end - if you want to - but the option to go to the main menu is deliberately disabled. Grrrr! :twisted:
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've found you can usually use the "skip forward" button (double arrow pointing right, with vertical line after it) to move from one trailer to the next without actually watching any of them. It's still slightly annoying but saves a bit of time.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

If you're able to watch DVDs on a PC with VLC player, you can select the film you want to watch (at least you could do it with earlier versions, I don't know if it's still possible). You could even switch off the annoying English subtitles of the English dubbing of the German Famous Five 70s DVDs.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

This has made me annoyed and rather queasy. On Saturday I bought a packet of ready to use pastry to make a meat pie. On Sunday I made the pie, noting that the pastry was not very good when rolled out but thought nothing else of it until the pie was eaten. The pastry was awful, really rubbery and had a odd taste. Cross that it had ruined a good pie and wasted my mince, I went to get the rest out of the fridge to throw out and happened to glance at the back. The use by date was Jul22! The shop had this stuff in their fridge six months out of date! :shock: No wonder it was so bad!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

That is disgusting, IceMaiden. I assume it was chilled as you mentioned fridge rather than freezer. If so and you still have your recipt and if you can retrieve the remainder of the pack I would take it back to the shop, or maybe even to your local Environmental Health Office. The shop could be in serious trouble as somebody could have had food poisoning as a result. The EHO would take the issue very seriously.

Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

It was chilled pastry BB, the ready to roll stuff. Unfortunately I didn't get the receipt and I put the packaging straight in the bin which has been collected. I'll be very wary buying in there again though and will check the date. You don't expect a shop to be selling something half a year out date, show how often they check or rotate their stock! If I get anything like that again though I will make a complaint, I would have done this time if it had made me ill.
Society Member

Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

The main thing is you weren't ill from it, IceMaiden. Of course, what we don't know is if your's was the only pack in the fridge that was long out of date and if not, could somebody else have bought one that DID make them or someone in their family ill and never realised what caused it?

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

No / intermittent network coverage.

I've been really struggling with it for the last couple of days - can't get it at all downstairs, and need to be in a couple of upstairs rooms to get any chance of some internet access. I checked up yesterday and it seemed to be a local mast issue - finally got a text tonight saying they're doing work in the area to improve network coverage and that, in the meantime, I 'might have some trouble with calls, texts and getting online'. No sh*t, Sherlock!
Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Are you only using mobile internet, Bertie, as you refer to a mast issue?

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

Good point, Boatbuilder. No, it's not been working properly for anything except upstairs. The mast issue was just what I found mentioned somewhere when searching what the problem could be, so maybe that isn't the only / main problem as, like you say, that would only effect mobiles. The message I got tonight seems to be about mobile data as well though. Anyway, they said it should be back to normal in the next day or so and, hopefully, that applies to everything. And it's still manageable - just having to spend more time upstairs than normal when I'm indoors. :)
Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

Why don't people ever EVER keep their word when they say "I'll get back to you"? :evil:

Was supposed to have a meeting with someone. I showed up on time. They never did and I waited nearly an hour for them. Never even had the manners to explain or apologise.

Somebody else said they'd phone yesterday or today before 5pm. They haven't.

What is wrong with people? I cannot get my head around their thinking at all. If I say to one of my customers I'll get back to them I always do as fast as possible. I don't leave them hanging in mid air unsure if they'll ever hear from me again. Apart from being bad for business, it's just plain rude, ill mannered, depressing, disheartening and confidence shattering. So why do people, especially businesses think it's perfectly acceptable?
Society Member

Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

That is something I cannot understand either, as I always appear on time (and if there is a delay/change I do my level best to inform the person I am meeting about it ASAP) and phone back if I promised to do so. It is not a new problem, as I remember my mother being very upset when someone promised to phone her back about a project to which she had devoted a great deal of time and then never did. If people are not interested they should be honest about it and not promise to do things they have no intention of doing.
Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

It is really annoying, especially if you're waiting a call back and never get it. If someone says 'I'll get back to you by 5pm tomorrow you can almost bet your back teeth that they won't and you end up having to phone them back. I don' t like that as it then looks like you are pestering them, all because they didn't do what they said they would in the first place.
Society Member

Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

It doesn't really annoy me, but I find it very hard to understand. When we drove from Worcester, Massachusetts, to Washington, D. C., on 31st of March, it took us almost 8 hours. Plenty of time to look at other cars.
I couldn't help noticing that on an average 18 out of 20 cars were either grey, black, white or silver...as if no lovely metallic colors like blue, green, turquoise, purple etc exist.
Is there anybody else who wonders what caused this monochromatic trend?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

I too wonder. I used to have a pale blue car. When I renewed it the colour palette was basically greys or black. Ironically my car colour "tonic" was - the salesman told me - very popular! So why drop it?
Society Member