What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the suggestions. Fortunately I didn't have to try any of them. My Dad came round, managed to jiggle the lock about so that the lid lifted off, and then oiled the mechanism so in future it should just lock and unlock normally.

I'm really pleased. I hadn't seen the machine for many years, so wasn't quite sure what it would look like. It's smaller than I thought, and I still have to thread the cord through so I can actually use the treadle bit, then it will be time to road test it.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Glad it worked out ok. Old things are usually so much more durable and beautiful than the modern plastic rubbish we are forced to put up with nowadays.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks. :D I've looked up the reference number on it, and as far as I can see, it was produced somewhere in the early to mid 1920s. One of several hundred thousands that were produced around that time. Considering it's age, it's in reasonable condition - hopefully nothing has rusted over the years, but as there were so many made, at least I should be able to get hold of some spare parts if I need to.

I don't expect it has as many functions on it as a modern sewing machine would have, but on the other hand, I think it makes a nice focal point in the room, rather than a modern one which would probably be hidden away in a cupboard.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:T My Dad came round, managed to jiggle the lock about so that the lid lifted off, and then oiled the mechanism so in future it should just lock and unlock normally.
What a good thing us men are still around to help! :wink:
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Absolutely, I've no qualms about calling in an expert - even if they are a man. :wink:
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

We have designated this Bluebell Week!, the flowers are at their magnificent best and combined with the lovely sunshine and birdsong it truly feels like the magic of Spring! Our favourite is Arlington Bluebell Walk, at a nearby farm, there are miles of walks and literally acres of flowers in full bloom - the short season ends on Sun 8th as the weather warms up. For extra delight there is a superb cafe in a nearby barn, with the most super home made cakes and delicious coffee to give extra energy for the lengthy walk ahead :D
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've got a lovely lot of bluebells in my front garden. We are due to have our windows replaced any day now, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we won't get the phone call until after the flowers have started to wither, as I don't it will be possible for them to install them without trampling on the flowers. :cry:
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Thanks for the suggestions. Fortunately I didn't have to try any of them. My Dad came round, managed to jiggle the lock about so that the lid lifted off, and then oiled the mechanism so in future it should just lock and unlock normally.
Ah yes. The power of a good jiggle! Astonishing how it's possible to try for ages then along comes a slightly different jiggler and all is solved!
Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Our bluebells are only just coming out here (I was in Kent the weekend before last and noticed how much further on the flowers were - we still have a lot of daffies in bloom here). I always look forward to the bluebells, they smell so lovely and last quite well as cut flowers. They're quite messy when they go over though.

Katharine, your posts about your grandmother's sewing machine stirred memories of an old singer machine that my mum had in the house when I was a child - I'm sure she inherited it from somewhere too. It was a big, heavy thing with a solid wood base, and dome-shaped wooden lid with SINGER stencilled on the side in gold letters. I can't ever remember her using it though. She's up holidaying in Scotland at the moment so I must ask her if she still has it anywhere.
Last edited by Spitfire on 05 May 2016, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

There's a lovely bluebell wood near me in Kent at Ightham Mote, one of my favourite National Trust properties. I haven't made it there this year, but here are a few photos I took there this time last year:

Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I remember one year we went on holiday to Scotland at the beginning of June. I was amazed to see that the bluebells were only then coming out - down in Suffolk they'd been and gone!
Society Member
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Gorgeous photos Courtenay. And they're the true English bluebell too - I'm fairly certain that the ones in my garden are a hybrid.

We're not always quite as behind southern England as we are this year - but then it has been a particularly cold spring. I remember reading some posts about snowdrops (I think in the 'Teacher's World' thread) and realising that we must be a good two weeks behind at that point, as our snowdrops were still in full bloom (on the 13th March I texted my Mum a picture of our snowdrops as she was in Australia at the time).

The crocuses (croci?) have been over a good two-three weeks and the early daffodils are gone, but the later ones are in full swing and there are swathes of them all over the place. The trees are full of blossom everywhere and the air is full of scent. It's such a lovely time of year - all the leaves unfurling and shaking themselves out, and there are so many bright shades of green. The birds are singing constantly, both rats and cats are extra-bold along the lade-side, and the mother ducks are watchful and anxious over their tiny but adventurous offspring.

We had snow last Friday (29th April) - thick, fluffy snow whirling down like a proper winter snow-storm, and covering everything with a cold white blanket - but thankfully it was gone by lunch-time the following day.

I've never known the bluebells to be as late as June before - but my Scottish comrades frequently tell me casually "Oh, we can get snow in June up here!" It's never happened while I've been in Scotland though.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

We have several different types of bluebells growing in the grounds of the care home where I work — deep blue, almost tubular ones (like the ones in my photos), paler blue shorter ones, and a few whitebells and even pinkbells. But I like those longer deep blue ones the best, so I'm glad to know they're the native wild type for this country. They're such a gorgeous colour and I love the intricate shape of the flowers with their delicate little curls around the opening of the "bell". :D They are easily my favourite flower in Britain.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

The shorter ones you describe are likely to be the Spanish bluebell, which unfortunately are a major problem as they cross-breed with the English bluebell and are a more vigorous plant; in some areas they are forcing the English bluebell out altogether. The pink and white ones are probably a hybrid, though I'm not entirely sure about that.

The basic way to tell is that the English bluebells have flowers along one stem which then bends in a graceful arch, the leaves are narrow and the flowers are long and tubular and beautifully scented. The Spanish Invaders are shorter, have paler flowers which grow all around the stem, and wider, more open flowers which don't have a scent.

Mine are very like the English bluebell in almost every respect, except that the flowers grow all round the stem, so for that reason I'm pretty sure they're a hybrid.

The Scottish name for bluebells is 'wild hyacinth' which I've always thought a pretty name. The Scottish bluebell is the English harebell!
Sarah
Society Member

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Oh good. I had heard of Spanish bluebells being an introduced pest, but wasn't sure which sort was which, so I was hoping the pretty, tubular, deep-blue ones that I love the most wouldn't turn out to be the invader!! :D
Society Member