Dr Who

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Paul Austin

Re: Dr Who

Post by Paul Austin »

Re: the filmed remains of the unaired Shada:

Prof. Chronotis obviously went to Karfel and met the Borad and impressed the Borad enough when he was constructing the "my other self" android. Chronotis also traveled to Traken and fathered an identical son who became the Keeper.

BTW, "Chronotis" basically translates as "time inflammation".
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

Interesting theory Paul! The only version of "Shada" I've seen is the animated one with Paul McGann's Doctor. I do have Gareth Roberts' novelisation somewhere but haven't got round to reading it yet.

I watched "Robot" last night (Tom Baker's first 'Doctor Who' story), and thought it was brilliant. Although the story isn't qute as strong as some other debut ones, (e.g. "Spearhead From Space", "Castrovalva") Tom's perfomance as the Doctor is riveting right from the start. Whereas most of the other actors to play the part took a while to find their characterisation, Tom gets it straight away. Right off the bat, he is the Doctor - the definite article you might say.
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

What do you think of Harry Sullivan?
walter raleigh

Post by walter raleigh »

Oh, I love Harry, and it's a shame he wasn't in more stories. The interplay between Tom, Liz and Ian Marter is fabulous. I particularly like some of the bits in "Genesis Of The Daleks". "No tea, Harry." :D
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

It's a shame Ian Marter died so young. You'd probably have seen a lot of Harry in Big Finish etc,
walter raleigh

Post by walter raleigh »

Yes, it's quite sad. I've also just realised all of the three companions from "Robot" (Harry, Sarah-Jane, the Brigadier) are no longer with us. :cry:

Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

Yeah. Someone on Gallifrey Base said "It really makes you mad when you realise that the popular team of Harry, Sarah Jane and the Brigadier, have all passed away."
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Edward Burnham, who looked old then when he played Professor Kettlewell in Robot is still alive at 98!

One of the worst scenes in the entire series for me is when the Robot grows to gigantic size, and promptly stamps on one of the fleeing soldiers, squashing him flat. It's not graphic or a particularly good special effect, and actually looks like something out of Monty Python or even Tom and Jerry. But the first time I saw it (aged about 20), I found myself shuddering. Such a terrible, undignified way to go. I'd much rather be exterminated by a Dalek or something! :D
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

There's been a lot of speculation as to whether Julian Glover's character in "The Crusades" is a splinter of his character Scaroth in "City of Death".
walter raleigh

Post by walter raleigh »

That's a cool idea. I'm not that familiar with "The Crusade". I've seen the two existing episodes on the "Lost In Time" boxset but it was a while ago and I can't remember much about them. Is there anything in the story to condradict the idea of the last of the Jagaroth being Richard the Lionheart?

In celebration of the 10th anniversary of the return of the show I've been watching "Rose" again. Despite a few flaws (burping dustbins!) and dated special effects, it does a remarkably effective job of reintroducing "Doctor Who" to a new audience, while mostly keeping old fans happy.

Strange but true: At the time the episode aired, I was working in the same building as Rose Tyler was in the episode, so it was a little disconcerting when it blew up!

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Count Scarlioni suddenly ripping his face off to reveal the green, one-eyed Scaroth the Jagaroth in 'City of Death' was undoubtedly THE scariest childhood memory of Doctor Who for me. I wasn't merely behind the sofa, I was literally out the room! I was actually quite surprised to discover in later life that the story is considered to be something of a lighthearted romp. This was the stuff of pure nightmares!

As for Richard the Lionheart actually being Scaroth, I'd not heard that one before, but that's quite a good idea! I've read the novelization of 'The Crusades' before, but I don't remember much about it.
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

I know it was the eighties, but dear God, Sarah Sutton is caked in makeup in "Logopolis". Her face is so painted, the viewer must wonder if she moonlights as a circus clown.

Courteney might remember "Backchat", the ABC's viewer feedback programme (1984-1996). It was often churlish about the Doctor Who obsessives that wrote in to demand a better timeslot/more frequent repeats/a pony etc.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

http://www.cottagesdirect.co.uk/215514/ ... 06/04/2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quirky cosy cottage with TARDIS & Dalek - perfect Geek Retreat for Dr Who Fans!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
walter raleigh

Post by walter raleigh »

That looks like a pretty cool place to rent for a holiday Pete. Quite reasonably priced too, and nice and handy for "Smugglers Top" as well! :D Might be a bit impractical for a non-driver like myself though sadly. :(

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Can you imagine if Tony decided to rent the cave out for holidays... :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member