What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
burlingtonbertram

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Enid Blyton sometimes describes gypsies as dirty, thieving and up to no good (e.g. in the Six Cousins books and some of the Find-Outers titles) but in other books she presents them and their lifestyle as appealing. The Famous Five find patrins intriguing (Five Go to Mystery Moor), and Zacky (Zachary Boswell) in Enid Blyton's Animal Lover's Book is a kind man who shows Richard and Susan his clean, bright waggon on which he has carved all kinds of animals,and who shares his knowledge of wildlife with the children. He says in the chapter 'Tod the Fox', "I'm no hunter. I've been hunted away too often myself as a boy, because I'm a gipsy - and many folks can't abide gypsies. I've a feeling for the hunted, and I can't give them away." Once again patrins are mentioned, and Enid Blyton even introduces a few gipsy words such as "yokmush" for "policeman" and "disilo", which means "day comes". In the final chapter, Susan remarks that one thing they've learnt from Zacky is "to make friends with everything we can." She adds, "That ought to be Zacky's motto. He should carve it all round his waggon: I MAKE FRIENDS."

I'd say that I'm drawn to the traditional gypsy way of life partly because of Enid Blyton books.
It can't be easy to maintain that way of life now. The jobbing farm labourers aren't often needed on modern, mechanised farms. There aren't many places they are allowed or welcome to camp. Around here they often make the mistake of camping on a playing field or some other public space which doesn't endear them to the residents. Alternatively, there is a facility owned by the council that they can camp on. It is on their traditional Woldgate route but it is an ugly site, all tarmac, and opposite the council refuse tip.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm still in a state of disbelief at something I witness about an hour ago. I was in a local shop, and saw a 7 year old, lying on the floor, holding on to his mother's leg and throwing a tantrum, I think because he wanted a certain food product. His 11 year old sister was 'kicking' him. Admittedly it was more a case of her aiming her toe at him, rather than a proper kicking, but I was still shocked at the behaviour of both of them. It was like a scene from an Enid Blyton story, but sadly I doubt there was a fairy handy to turn the girl into a donkey, and for the boy to receive some other kind of experience to curb him of his behaviour.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It must be very hard to live a traditional gypsy lifestyle these days as you say, BurlingtonBertram, as there are many restrictions on the use of common ground. And even those who do need casual labourers may be wary of employing anyone who doesn't have a fixed address.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

burlingtonbertram wrote:Plenty round here. I saw all their skewbald horses tethered along the ridge of Woldgate when I was out cycling this morning.
There don't seem to be any gypsies over here in the US, but as a child in Germany I saw them sometimes. Way back then I was dreaming of living in such a horse-drawn moving wagon (sorry, don't know the proper term for their movable homes).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The traditional term is "vardo", but you also hear "waggon" and "caravan" being used.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Thank you, Anita.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Katharine wrote
I'm still in a state of disbelief at something I witness about an hour ago. I was in a local shop, and saw a 7 year old, lying on the floor, holding on to his mother's leg and throwing a tantrum, I think because he wanted a certain food product. His 11 year old sister was 'kicking' him. Admittedly it was more a case of her aiming her toe at him, rather than a proper kicking, but I was still shocked at the behaviour of both of them. It was like a scene from an Enid Blyton story, but sadly I doubt there was a fairy handy to turn the girl into a donkey, and for the boy to receive some other kind of experience to curb him of his behaviour.
Sounds like Phillip and Dinah! Seriously I could never imagine my sister and I behaving like that when we were young - we wouldn't have dared.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

It's the sort of behaviour you might see in public from children of 2 or 3, but that beggars belief!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Preparing a route to Lincolnshire.. It all depends on London traffic.
Whoops :roll:
Jack
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Katharine wrote:I'm still in a state of disbelief at something I witness about an hour ago...
It reminds me of when I took my sister to a park earlier today and there was a group of children there (ages ranging from roughly four to ten). There was one young boy swearing and shouting to his friends: another, playing extremely loud music on his mobile phone, and another wading, waist deep in the beck! :roll:
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

I suspect that children who grew up reading the Famous Five books were rather better behaved than
the average.
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

I am doing nothing now and nothing for the rest of the day.

I went out at eight for a cycle; I try and do an hour a day, summer and autumn. It was nice and sunny but with a stiff, sea-breeze. I cycled out of town, and along Sewerby Road - with a lovely sea view looking out onto Bridlington bay. I'm not keen on Bridlington town centre but that side of the town, from that aspect, looks really nice. All 1920's and 1930's middle-class town houses and villas, many painted white. The farmers up at Sewerby have already harvested their wheat fields and there are plastic covered hay-bales in the fields. Up past the gatehouse to Sewerby Hall, and past the grounds; the hundred shades of green of the English countryside to be found in the hedgerows. I go up to the edge of Danes Dyke - a four kilometre long bank and ditch (possibly Iron Age, possibly from the Dark Ages) and now a nature trail. Then, I did the return journey, and went out the other way, taking the road out of Bridlington up to the big hill before Boynton village. More wheat-fields and various other crops. There is usually a big sunflower field but it seems to have been left fallow this year.

After a bath it was off for a haircut and then up to Church to help with clearing out about thirty years of accumulated junk. Home at three and another bath. Now, like I said, I am doing nothing at all until tomorrow because I am shattered.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

burlingtonbertram wrote:I went out at eight for a cycle; I try and do an hour a day, summer and autumn
We have got 'into' cycling and we are going on our bikes everywhere! We are planning a nice 'Famous Five inspired' ride tomorrow with a picnic, perhaps going to the river or a park about 40 mins away. Should be fun! We do like rides in the countryside, though - especially up near the farms where there is always something interesting to see.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Just got in from clearing out the shed - got into all those nooks and crannies that are best
left alone unless you like large spiders and large slugs (over 40 of them.). Sometimes nature in the
raw is not so pleasant!
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Chick and I cleared out our shed yesterday too, Francis and we were surprised at the number of spiders, slugs and creepy crawlies that we found in the nooks and crannies. Agreed - not pleasant! :cry:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member