The Halloween Horror Strikes Again

Important forum announcements.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Re: The Halloween Horror Strikes Again

Post by Keith Robinson »

A few things. First, the Further Illustrations is now back online. I had disabled it because it was being targeted and using a lot of bandwidth. Now that the spammers are dealt with, all is back to normal.

As for the spammers, these were originating from certain IP addresses in China. There are a LOT of different IP ranges in China, and there are quite a few known "trouble spot" lists. So if I were to "ban China," it would be in the form of a long list of IP ranges that are known to be spammers.

Why this site? The question should be why NOT this site? It has nothing to do with the site itself but the traffic it generates. Spammers want one thing only, and that's to have their websites listed in as many places and as many times as possible. Forums are ripe for the picking. Some forums automatically approve users, others auto-post "trackback" links, and so on. Spammers are just machine-gunning sites with millions of automated page requests and posts in the hopes that their efforts will result in millions of published links back to their sites.

Most of their attempts are futile, but the whole point of spam is to throw a million business cards to the wind and see if anyone picks one up and calls to order something. If they do, their spam was worth the effort. Unfortunately, spam is perpetuated by idiots who actually DO order something. It's those people we have to thank for making the work of spammers worth their time!

Of course, some spammers are there just to clog up systems and cause problems. So if you see spam that has no links to buy anything and is just a load of nonsense, they're just out to take up your time and slow down your mail server.

Rant over.

Anyway, in this case I think our forums were actually targeted rather than the server, but don't take it personally. It's just another high-traffic website to them.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I think we should be proud, really, to have such an active forum community in a time when Facebook, Twitter etc. seem to have overtaken forums as the main online vehicle for communication! 8) Another forum where I used to write (and was an assistant moderator for a few years) closed down recently, due in part to the relatively low usage levels compared to the high costs of the software.

I'm so glad everything is up and running again and also that the Further Illustrations pages are now safely back in the Cave! :D Thanks, Keith.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

If I had a LIKE button, I'd click it...... :-)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Me too. This site and it's forums are a credit to all those who set up, monitor and keep them running. Thanks to our wonderful team. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for all your hard work, Keith. I don't understand much of it, as the internet is still overwhelming for me. But you know your job and you know what you're doing, so we're all grateful for that I'm sure.

Let's hope everything is hunky dorey from now on and we can enjoy the site we all love without any hiccups! :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you so much for your help and the explanation Keith. :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Cheers, Keith! It's good to have an understanding of what happened.
Lucky Star wrote:This site and it's forums are a credit to all those who set up, monitor and keep them running.
Thanks, John. In fact, they're a credit to everyone who participates and helps make this community such a pleasure to belong to.:D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Chrissie wrote:This is really strange. I commented on at least 3 other posts in this thread, but only one of my posts got posted. The same happened in a previous thread tonight. Before EBS was down, everything got always posted right away. Now they seem to come with a delay.
This happened to me this morning too, Chrissie. I posted and pressed submit, but nothing came up on the site. So I posted again, and my first reply also then showed up and when I pressed submit, both were posted, so I had to delete one of them.

Then when I went back to Board Index. I wasn't showed as signed in and had to sign in again, as it wouldn't let me view anything. So I've had to sign in twice. :|

8)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Chrissie wrote:This is really strange. I commented on at least 3 other posts in this thread, but only one of my posts got posted. The same happened in a previous thread tonight. Before EBS was down, everything got always posted right away. Now they seem to come with a delay.
This has happened to me today, and is still doing it. I've already written once on this thread! But it hasn't come up, and so I'm having to do it all again. I've kept this one up, to show I had to do it all again, the others I deleted.

8)

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Yeah same here.

Posts I made aren't showing, so I write another one and then the original one shows
Time isn't updating at the top of the page when you reload the forum homepage
Forum is still telling me I have unread posts when I've already read them all