Monthly Quiz

Important forum announcements.
Jools
Favourite book/series: The Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Julian

Post by Jools »

Oooh. Just done the quiz, was worse than going to the dentist. To clarify, my score was, not the quiz! :lol:
Just to confuse things even more for me, I'd started the quiz last week using my own user name, then had to stop (work called) so I didn't go back to it. Soo when I tried to continue tonight, was told my user name was already taken. Aargh. is the original Jools still hovering about in cyber space with a time of about 300 hours????
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Excellent quiz, Tony and Keith! I love the way the scoring works, and it was fiendishly difficult. My brain hurts.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Keith Robinson wrote:So, people, this is a rare chance for the lead! Will Ming maintain her Number One Spot? Or can someone sneak past her?
I didn't! Matthew Roberts defeated me with 20 points in the rating, and 2 points in the score!

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Great stuff, Matt. Well, you did say that there may be a few surprises in store for us in 2007! :lol:

You still did very well, Ming!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Ming wrote:I didn't! Matthew Roberts defeated me with 20 points in the rating, and 2 points in the score!
Never mind, Ming. I plan to "log" the top three scorers each month, so you'll be remembered all year, and in that way there'll be an ongoing score chart too. (Although I never expected my own pseudonym, Blytonite, to remain so high! Whoops!)

Well done, Matt -- a very good score indeed!
Ming

Post by Ming »

It's okay, it's only a game!

Society Member
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

The conundrum of the countdown clock

Post by booklover »

Hi everyone, some more thoughts about the quiz - in particular, scoring.

Issue #1: Speed vs Correctness

The current scoring system raises the old chestnut of whether it's better to get things right, or do things fast. The hare versus the tortoise - and we know who won that!

Suggestion #1: Another way of ranking the results would be: (a) number correct; then (b) time taken; with no conversion to an overall score. For example, 20 correct in 2 minutes is ranked higher than 20 correct in 3 minutes. But 20 correct in 3 minutes is ranked higher than 19 correct in 1 minute 50 etc.

Issue #2: Calculating the Deduction

The current system has a minor oddity in that 1 second is worth 1 point but 1 minute is worth 100 points. So my time of 3 minutes 53 seconds = 353 points. But a time of 4 minutes 1 second = 401 points.

Suggestion #2: Perhaps the deduction should be 1 point per second of time taken (eg 3 minutes 53 = 233 points; 4 minutes 1 = 241 points).

Issue #3: Standard Time

Suggestion #3: If we stay with the current system, have a standard time to do the quiz (eg 3 or 4 minutes would seem to be fair based on the times taken so far). If you finish within that time, you get a bonus. If you take longer, you lose points.

For example, if the standard time is 3 minutes and you finish in 1 minute 50 seconds, you get a bonus of 1 minute 10 seconds. This could be either 110 points (as per current system) or 70 points (if you measure the time in seconds). But if you take 5 minutes, then your score goes down by 2 minutes. This would be 200 points (as per current system) or 120 points (if you measure time in seconds).

Issue #4: Help Compile the Quiz

It's clear from Tony's earlier email that he had to devote quite a bit of time to setting up the questions for the quiz. We all appreciate that - but perhaps we could also help make Tony's task a bit easier.

Suggestion #4: To assist, perhaps we could have members of the forum submitting their own quizzes to Tony (eg a guest quiz master per month). Or if people would like a quiz on particular topics (eg Famous Five, school stories etc), then they could also think up a quiz themselves and submit it to Tony or Keith to be put on the forum for others to try.

Anyway, they're my thoughts from very early in the morning! (not in Oz I might add.)
Tony Summerfield

Re: The conundrum of the countdown clock

Post by Tony Summerfield »

booklover wrote:Issue #1: Speed vs Correctness

The current scoring system raises the old chestnut of whether it's better to get things right, or do things fast. The hare versus the tortoise - and we know who won that!

Suggestion #1: Another way of ranking the results would be: (a) number correct; then (b) time taken; with no conversion to an overall score. For example, 20 correct in 2 minutes is ranked higher than 20 correct in 3 minutes. But 20 correct in 3 minutes is ranked higher than 19 correct in 1 minute 50 etc.
I would answer this with a question. Do you consider that someone who gets 25 right in 20 mins has done better than someone who gets 21 right in 2 mins? Had I not set the questions, I knew about 20 answers here and some good guessing might have taken my score up from there - given time to look up answers I could have got all 30 right!!

The current system has a minor oddity in that 1 second is worth 1 point but 1 minute is worth 100 points. So my time of 3 minutes 53 seconds = 353 points. But a time of 4 minutes 1 second = 401 points.

Suggestion #2: Perhaps the deduction should be 1 point per second of time taken (eg 3 minutes 53 = 233 points; 4 minutes 1 = 241 points).
I agree with this, it needs some thought, the current system assumes there are 100 secs in a minute. I recalculated a few scores and Georgina who is 11th at present would be 6th if there had been 60 secs in a minute. I will talk with Keith but it may just be too complicated in an already complicated system.

Suggestion #3: If we stay with the current system, have a standard time to do the quiz (eg 3 or 4 minutes would seem to be fair based on the times taken so far). If you finish within that time, you get a bonus. If you take longer, you lose points.

For example, if the standard time is 3 minutes and you finish in 1 minute 50 seconds, you get a bonus of 1 minute 10 seconds. This could be either 110 points (as per current system) or 70 points (if you measure the time in seconds). But if you take 5 minutes, then your score goes down by 2 minutes. This would be 200 points (as per current system) or 120 points (if you measure time in seconds).
Yes, there are many ways we could have done this, but at least the present system allows everyone to finish the quiz.

It's clear from Tony's earlier email that he had to devote quite a bit of time to setting up the questions for the quiz. We all appreciate that - but perhaps we could also help make Tony's task a bit easier.

Suggestion #4: To assist, perhaps we could have members of the forum submitting their own quizzes to Tony (eg a guest quiz master per month).
I don't want to repeat what I said to Heather in an earlier post, but I worked the questions out very carefully, as you said yourself in an earlier post, to suit the Blyton all-rounder. I work out the subjects for all 30 questions before thinking up any questions, and by doing this I keep it balanced. I am aiming for consistency and although I may not achieve it I feel it will stand a better chance if the same person is responsible for each month. However if people want to send questions in I could put them in the right slot quite easily, but I wouldn't want to end up with a quiz that had 15 questions on Malory Towers - rather tricky for those who haven't read the series!!

Thanks for your ideas though, most welcome.

Best wishes
Tony
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Hey I came third with 21 right and a score of 1887 *preens*

I did just guess some of them though ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

Hey well done everyone who took part!!! :D :D
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Thanks for your ideas, Booklover!

Issue #1: Speed vs Correctness

I think I agree with Tony on this one. The method you suggested makes a lot of sense, and would be ideal -- except that there are always a few bad apples who want to cheat. Yes, even in the Blyton world there are those who think it would be a great idea to spend a couple of hours looking up answers in an effort to get 30 questions right -- and your method would allow them to bask in the number one spot. It hasn't happened here yet, but I bet it will soon. And it'll likely be people who aren't members of the forums.

Perhaps this doesn't matter to most. It might be that most of you are interested only in how many you genuinely get right, regardless of time taken and points scored. But there are most likely others who like the competitive side to it and want to compete in a fair manner. That's the dilemma Tony and I faced when setting this up, hence the current system where correct answers matter most but time does affect your score if you're not careful.

You're absolutely right here. The system sort of evolved as I created it so I didn't fully consider my point system until after it went live. When the February quiz starts I will adopt this idea, only it might be better still if we extend the idea so that one correct answer is worth 60 seconds/points.

Eg:
23 correct answers = 1380 (23 x 60)
in 3 mins 53 secs = 233 (3 x 60 + 53)
Total score 1147 (1380 - 233)

I believe that's the fairest and most accurate way?

This is another possibility I thought about, but I think Tony and I would like to stick with the current idea for the moment (although with a different point system as above).

That's Tony's area. I should think it would helpful to have a bunch of questions sent in. They could be individually pigeon-holed (sorted by series) so that if Tony needs a question for the Secret series he can just reach in and pluck one out. :)

Finally, about the quiz times: I'm mystified as to how anyone can get through the questions in anything less than 1:45. I mean, most people probably read faster than I do, but even so you need time to digest the question, to understand what's being asked, and then more time to seek the answer. Maybe not much more time, perhaps no more than a fraction of a second... but 30 questions in, for example, 1:33 (the current number one) means 3.1 seconds per question. Granted, I would immediately skip some questions if I recognize something like "Malory Towers" (because I still haven't read those!) but other questions would surely cause a long delay as you rack your brains trying to remember if the gardener was Johns and James or whatever.

Just curious. Most of the times speak for themselves, typically 2-4 minutes. But it's interesting because I wonder if some people, for instance Mimi (sorry to pick on you!!), skim through quickly in the hope of a faster score but at the expense of one or two correct answers. With the point system as it is, an extra correct answer is worth more than 15 seconds shaved off the reading time... for instance, if Ming had spent an extra 15 seconds pondering an answer, she might possibly have scored 22 correct and remained at number one! :wink: Hmmm...
dsr

Post by dsr »

I enjoyed it - but I think my score owes quite a lot to good guessing. I've only got one suggestion on how to improve it - stop asking questions from books I haven't read! :)
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

dsr wrote:I enjoyed it - but I think my score owes quite a lot to good guessing. I've only got one suggestion on how to improve it - stop asking questions from books I haven't read! :)
Certainly! Just give Tony a list of all the books you haven't read and he'll make sure he avoids them. ;)
Ming

Post by Ming »

Who's Peterkin? He/she scored 25/30! Wow!

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Yes, that's a good score isn't it Ming! I can tell you that Peterkin's is a genuine score too, I sent an email to someone and suggested that they have a go as they would be pretty good at this sort of thing - and I was right, wasn't I!

As with Keith's quiz I have my doubts about some of the contestants - Moo and Cow (could this perhaps be the same person!!!!) finishing in ridiculously short times for example.

It is up to Peterkin if they want to say who they are, but I can tell you that they are registered on the Forums :lol: :lol:

You still have a great score.

Best wishes
Tony