Famous Five Covers by Andrew Lloyd-Jones

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Famous Five Covers by Andrew Lloyd-Jones

Post by aminmec »

I quite liked the covers of the 1987 Famous Five paperbacks which were done by Andrew Lloyd Jones.
I don't know how to post an image here though
The logo font was bold and attractive .The colours were decent too .The scenes themselves were apt enough for almost all the books. However I'd like to know if you feel the characters were painted from people posing for them. Some body poses are surely very realistic and don't think they would have been simply imagined by the artist .
Adding to that, the Five look just too stylish with fashionable clothes and fancy hairstyles. Someplace they are wearing tights and heel shoes .Other places a sleeveless T shirt , jeans and trendy boots.
Everyone seems quite modern and quite unlike the Famous five portrayed in the books . I do like them but would be interested to know how the covers would have been conceived. What are your thoughts.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Famous Five Covers by Andrew Lloyd-Jones

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I just took a look at the first three Andrew Lloyd-Jones covers in the Cave of Books and they don't appeal to me much. The colours are gaudy and I agree that the children's clothes, shoes, hairstyles and accessories are too "trendy" (well, trendy as far as the 1980s are concerned, anyway!) When I look at them, I certainly don't think "Famous Five"!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

They're not amongst the worst - but that doesn't necessarily say much! Definitely very dated now despite being up-to-date when published.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Post by aminmec »

How do you think they were conceived . Do you think actors posed for them or were they imagined from scratch ?
Actors posing for a scene is quite likely considering that Secret Seven and Five Find outers covers had kids posing a scene .