Malory Towers Armada covers - two versions

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Malory Towers Armada covers - two versions

Post by aminmec »

Hello all,
I was always a little confused with the cover art of Malory Towers paperbacks of the 1988 and 1990 prints .Iam talking about the dark brown background ones illustrated by Gwyneth Jones as per this website archives .
Considering In the Fifth at Malory towers for example, the picture has Darrel with the lacrosse stick in hand and some portion of the legs cut off.
In the immediate next editions by the same publisher Armada in 1990 , the cover shades are light and the same image is inside an emblem shape ,yet the image seems to be 'zoomed out' to give in more details .So we have Darrels entire legs and shoes visible .
So it brings me to wonder which would have been the original image ....the light cover shade one in emblem or the previous one with dark brown colour .
I feel the one which came first is the original one and the next editions could have been redone to fit in more details .I some way I feel the shoes looking very modified and unrealistic when compared to the rest of the figure .
It could be the other way around as well ,the light colour ones being the original and the dark brown ones had images 'zoomed in' and hence cut off some of the ends of the image .
What would be your thoughts on this . Sorry I don't know how to paste an image with this message .Would have loved to have the images here for comparison.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Malory Towers Armada covers - two versions

Post by Daisy »

Surely the earlier dated one came first? Looking at the two images it seems that Darrell's legs have been added and now can be seen beyond the edge of the original. Everything else remains the same, by which I mean nothing else protrudes beyond the perimeter, or the frame of the picture.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member