The Mystery Series.

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
bilgewaters
Favourite book/series: Secret Room/Hidden House.
Favourite character: got to be Bets

The Mystery Series.

Post by bilgewaters »

Can anyone tell why E.B. had three illustrators for this series? From one to seven it wasJ.Abbey,from eight totwelve it was Treyer Evans and from thirteen to fifteen it was Lilian Buchanan.The treyer Evans were quite odd in that in some Fatty and Larry looked like gangsters with black shirts and white ties. does anyone agree?
When I'm grown up I won't forget the things I think today.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: The Mystery Series.

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm surprised Enid used J Abbey for as long as she did. :shock: I hate his wierd 'composite' illustrations, in which he often used the same basic figure and made it smaller or bigger to suit. they are usually out of proportion and the perspective is awful: just look at the cover of 'Invisible Thief' :lol:

I've always liked Treyer Evans illustrations, though I know what you mean about the black shirts and white ties!

My favourite is Lilian Buchanan: so delicate and evocative of the times they were drawn. I particularly like the illustrations in 'Strange Messages'
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Robert Houghton wrote:I'm surprised Enid used J Abbey for as long as she did. :shock: I hate his wierd 'composite' illustrations
Weird they might be, but am I alone in thinking that as they are so uniquely awful, they add a certain je ne sais qois about them? There are things that in spite of being terrible have a certain attraction. Fisherman's Friends and Big Brother, for example.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

True... 8)

But I still like all the other illustrators better! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Robert Houghton wrote:I'm surprised Enid used J Abbey for as long as she did. :shock: I hate his wierd 'composite' illustrations, in which he often used the same basic figure and made it smaller or bigger to suit. they are usually out of proportion and the perspective is awful: just look at the cover of 'Invisible Thief' :lol:
The cover of 'Invisible Thief' was illustrated by Jean Main, Rob, not Joseph Abbey! :roll:
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

okay - a large slice of humble pie :oops:

But it's very similar in style to J Abbey - a bit 'modern art' for my tastes! :D and just as 'flat' as J Abbey's perspective! :wink:

I should have known really, as i knew the Invisible Thief was illustrated internally by Treyer Evans! :roll:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
bilgewaters

Post by bilgewaters »

I agree rob,the Lillian buchanan illustrations are my favourites too,they really give you a feel of the times,I should know I was there.My first Mysteries were the Armada series and a lot of the illustrations were missing thats one reason I wanted the proper hardbacks,for the illustrations.The missing ones seem to be ones that would maybe date the books somewhat,usually the frontispiece.I don't have the dustjackets on my firsts so I can't comment on the illustrator.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Just in case you don't know, all the dustwrappers can be seen in our Book Listing on the main part of the website.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I can highly recommend a visit to The Book Listing. As well as the original dustwrappers and illustrations you will find all of the subsequent covers. It is very interesting indeed to compare how the covers have altered in style through the decades. Needless to say it is the original and very early covers which are the most beautiful and evocative to look at.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lucky Star wrote:I can highly recommend a visit to The Book Listing. As well as the original dustwrappers and illustrations you will find all of the subsequent covers. It is very interesting indeed to compare how the covers have altered in style through the decades. Needless to say it is the original and very early covers which are the most beautiful and evocative to look at.
Don't know though: the one on your avatar has always been one of my favourites 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Robert Houghton wrote: Don't know though: the one on your avatar has always been one of my favourites 8)
Yes me too. For some reason it reminds me of Christmas mornings in my home as a child. We would always be downstairs while it was still dark, tearing open presents by the light of the Christmas tree. It may have been one such Christmas when I received the book I dont remember. In any case it is a pretty old cover, an Armada dating from about 1967 I think. The covers up till the late 1970'2 an dearly '80's were usually good. After that I dont think many of them measure up really.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
bilgewaters

Post by bilgewaters »

I agree about the book covers,I grew up with the Armada series they were bright and cheerfull but since I've seen the originals there's no comparison.By the way talking about J.Abbey,take a look at the frontispiece in "Pantomime Cat" , no child would go to a panto ever again.Has anyone seen "Heathers Pages" She gives the covers and all the illustrations,it's really good.
Vic Nicholas
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Vic Nicholas »

Am I alone in actually liking Treyer Evans illustrations best?

To me, how Fatty is rendered by Evans is how I always pretty much pictured him.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Vic Nicholas wrote:Am I alone in actually liking Treyer Evans illustrations best?
No, you're not alone. I like them best too. (Just had to make a correction as I realised I'd written, "I like them bets too." :) )

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I like all the book covers really, and couldn't pick out a particular one. They all reflect the times of the year they were re-printed.

I do have a fondness though for the first additions of Enid's book covers :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member