New Weekly Serial

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: New Weekly Serial

Post by Daisy »

A new weekly serial begins today. I do wonder how many people actually read these week by week. I know some prefer to wait until the end - but do wonder if they ever remember to look at it so many weeks later!
It has occurred to me that while as children we were quite happy (but had no choice, of course) to wait for another chapter week by week, with the modern way of TV offering binge viewing, we may have lost some patience? Personally I have never wanted to see episode after episode in one sitting but I know many prefer it that way. Anyway, for those of you who enjoy the Famous Five, I hope you like the latest offering.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I must admit that I have long since stopped reading them. As I grew up with the idea of a weekly serial on both TV and comic books I have no objection to reading a chapter a week but I kept forgetting when a new chapter was published and then I'd remember but wouldn't have time to read the whole book in one go. In any case I dislike reading on my computer unless it's fairly short.

Having said that I have just gone and read chapter one of Five Uncover some Secrets and it was very good. Very Blytonian scene setting. I see you have given Julian, Dick and Anne's mother a name. About time the poor woman had one. :lol: Hopefully I'll remember to tune in again next week for chapter two.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Thanks John. I have always enjoyed starting each Monday by reading a chapter of the serials. The only difference from the serials which featured in Sunny Stories, is that those had a short synopsis of what had gone before - just enough to refresh the memory of what one had read the previous week! I'm not sure if it would be helpful or not to do so on our present ones. For those who download them to read all at once it would rather interrupt the flow, I think. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I think the summary would have been more necessary in the Sunny Stories serials as after 1942 it was only published fortnightly.

I hope everyone enjoys the Famous Five story, I certainly did!
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Daisy wrote:A new weekly serial begins today. I do wonder how many people actually read these week by week. I know some prefer to wait until the end - but do wonder if they ever remember to look at it so many weeks later!
Daisy, I'm reading "The Glen of Adventure" right now. Chapter 1 sounds very promising. 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Daisy wrote:Thanks John. I have always enjoyed starting each Monday by reading a chapter of the serials. The only difference from the serials which featured in Sunny Stories, is that those had a short synopsis of what had gone before - just enough to refresh the memory of what one had read the previous week! I'm not sure if it would be helpful or not to do so on our present ones. For those who download them to read all at once it would rather interrupt the flow, I think. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.
I used to print them out to read the entire story in two or three sessions. Now our printer skips several lines per page, so I no longer can do that. Instead I read it online, but it's rather tiresome for my eyes. :cry:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

I'm blaming covid :D . Pre covid I'd be up at 6am everyday and my Monday morning routine consisted of a cuppa and the latest chapter but since last March my routine seems to have changed! Now that schools are back and some normality is resuming I'm hoping to get back into reading the serials weekly.

Great first chapter Daisy!!
Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Thanks Nick. I think Covid has played havoc with the routine of many people... I hope you can get back to a more satisfactory one, which may include a Monday morning date with the website.

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Daisy wrote:A new weekly serial begins today. I do wonder how many people actually read these week by week. I know some prefer to wait until the end - but do wonder if they ever remember to look at it so many weeks later!
Daisy, I'm reading "The Glen of Adventure" right now. Chapter 1 sounds very promising. 8)
I hope you enjoy it Chrissie.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

I'll let you know, Daisy. :D
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's great to see Chapter 1 of Five Uncover Some Secrets up on the website! Sorry it wasn't announced in advance but Tony and I didn't know when Keith would be putting it on. I found it really gripping - it's probably my favourite of all the serials you've written, Ilsa. :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Thank you Anita. I hope everyone who reads it will like it too.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, it's a great start, Daisy, and nice to see George at her cousin's home for a change too. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Thank you Julie.

Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

I just found the first chapter, it sounds very interesting, I'm looking forward to read every Monday a new chapter...
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."