The Play's The Thing £19

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

The Play's The Thing £19

Post by pete9012S »

I must say I am tempted by this.
I thought it would be snapped up by now.

Vintage Book The Play's The Thing Enid Blyton Music Alec Rowley Large H/B £19.99
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126097487353 ... R5is1suZYw

Seems like a fair price?

It's gone! I think someone got a bargain!!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: The Play's The Thing £19

Post by Courtenay »

All right, all right, all right, I admit... I bought it. :D :mrgreen: :wink:

I felt a bit guilty, knowing you (Pete) and others had expressed interest in it, but it was a few hours after you'd posted the link here and nobody else had snapped it up — much to my surprise, for a book of that age at that price — so... :oops: But thank you for your generosity in sharing the link in the first place.

I'm not as big a collector of Enid Blyton books as some here are, but I love really old books in general — amazing to think this one is nearly 100 years old! — and while there's not much info about it in the Cave, the seller included enough photos showing excerpts from the contents that I just fell in love with it, even if I probably never will get a chance to put on any of the plays! :wink: They just look and sound gorgeous and it will be fascinating to see what kinds of plays Enid was coming up with for young actors so long ago, right near the start of her career. My parents will love it too, as they both also love collecting old books (especially old school books and other vintage books for children — they have a complete set of Arthur Mee's Children's Encyclopedia, among other things!), and my dad used to be a primary school teacher himself. (I don't know if he ever got his classes to put on plays, but as he was also an art teacher, he used to make the most amazing costumes for me and my sister to wear to dress-up days! :D ) I will take it to show my family when I visit them in Australia next month, if it's not too heavy and/or too delicate to go in my suitcase.

I haven't got the book yet, but I've had the notification that it's been posted, so it should arrive in the next couple of days, and I'm really looking forward to reading it. Many thanks again, Pete, honestly — I hope you do find another affordable copy soon.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)