Enid Blyton's Treasury of Verse 1979 - £200

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Enid Blyton's Treasury of Verse 1979 - £200

Post by pete9012S »

Anyone got this? I think mine cost under a tenner a few years ago. Has it turned into such a good investment so quickly??

1st edition with dust jacket Enid Blyton's Treasury of Verse 1979
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1st-edition- ... OSw7vRfXiq~" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Re: Enid Blyton's Treasury of Verse 1979 - £200

Post by Katharine »

Yes, I've got it. I bought it brand new, having spotted it in John Menzies and saving up my pocket money.

It's a lovely book, but I really don't think it's worth £200. Not that I'd part with my copy for £200,000.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I've got it too. I read the poems to my granddaughter. If I remember correctly I paid £10 for mine.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Ouch!!!! This sort of ridiculous profiteering is why I have given up collecting Blyton books. I have bought some very nice books by other authors this year, hardbacks published in the 1950s all in very good wrappers and all costing under £10 - mostly well under that figure. :roll:
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Post by Judith Crabb »

I agree, Katharine, it's a beautiful book, one of the few over which I broke my rule of not buying Enid Blyton books published after her death. I notice on Abebooks that there are a number of copies up, all at less than 50 UK pounds each.
Reminds me of attending an auction years ago where the trade didn't get a look in, so determined were private buyers to purchase the best lots. Across the road was the shop of a fellow dealer who pointed out quite truly that a couple of lots went for prices far more than the purchaser could have bought the identical editions for in his shop, just by crossing the road.
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I noticed that the Treasury of Verse was going for silly money recently. I bought my copy in 2015 and paid £2.81 on Amazon for it.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Ugh, gosh, I bought that several years ago for... I can't find the email receipt and I don't remember the price, but it was definitely under £20, and probably under £10!! :roll:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Ouch!!!! This sort of ridiculous profiteering is why I have given up collecting Blyton books. I have bought some very nice books by other authors this year, hardbacks published in the 1950s all in very good wrappers and all costing under £10 - mostly well under that figure. :roll:
So have I. If you search away from the popular authors such as Blyton, Saville etc, there are some equally good children's books from the fifties and sixties to be found quite cheaply in hardback with wrappers.
Last week I bought two more "Joey" books by Robert Martin for a little over £15. There are 19 books in this series and I've now collected 12 of them. He has also written 10 books in his "Mystery" series of which I have four. All in very good wrappers for under £10 each.
Society Member