Is this scarce?

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Is this scarce?

Post by pete9012S »

There is almost no publication information in this little book other than title, author and publisher. No attribution to illustrator, no publication date or place. It is VERY SCARCE so I'm guessing this is the first and only edition and that it was published in Enid Blyton's home country. The imps are causing trouble - will they continue to fool the population into buying their antidote?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enid-Blyton- ... 3277770559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Re: Is this scarce?

Post by Katharine »

Difficult to say.

I have a copy on the book shelves here - it was part of a boxed set one of my children got one Christmas, so could be anything from about 15 - 25 years old. I would imagine that a lot were printed, but how many have survived and may end up for sale is hard to tell.

I would guess that if they turn up in charity shops they wouldn't cost much.

Probably harder to find would be a complete set in their box.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you for that information, Katharine.
I am most impressed also that I have enquired about a book you can actually find on your bookshelf!

:wink: :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Ha ha - that's only because it's on my children's book shelves.

If it was on mine, unless it was on the first 9 shelves, which is the amount I've read and sorted to date (about 200), then it would be 'needle in a haystack' time. :D
Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Did anyone note the postage on that - $56.16 (£43.73)? :shock:
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

International post from the US does seem to be absurd, a lot of the time. I've seen other books from there that I wouldn't mind getting — not just from eBay, but from other sellers — and the overseas postage is regularly more than the price of the book, which always puts me off!! But for what is presumably quite a small book, that looks a BIT much. Maybe it's based on the fact that the seller sees it as rare / scarce and there's extra insurance etc. added to the postage cost?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It might be scarce in Pennsylvania but it certainly wouldn't be scarce in this country and not worth more than a few pence! It is a very small book which comes boxed in a set of six - My Mini-Library of Little Tales. I have just noticed that there are four completely different boxes all with six books in them and I'm embarrassed to say that all the boxes are still sealed! :oops: Disgraceful postage as it would weigh next to nothing.

The books may not be dated but the boxes certainly are - 1999.