Looking for a good home

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Cherie

Looking for a good home

Post by Cherie »

My childhood books

I have edited the list today(13th February) as some books have been sent off to new owners!

When we emigrated to Holland in the mid 1960's, my lifeline to the UK was my Grandmother sending me Enid Blyton books. I have kept onto them for years, hoping maybe one day my own children would want to read them. Sadly, they are not into "Enid" as much as I was! Anyway, I am downsizing and would like my books to have a good home. Please pm me if you are interested in any or all.
Nearly all books have been written in by my Grandmother (dedication). She sent second hand ones. All hard covers. Only one book has a dustcover. They have been well read and loved. Browning around the edges of the pages. Often first page in book has been cut out (I suspect by my Grandma!)

I cleaned up the list, let me know if anybody is interested.

- Five go off to camp - sixth impression 1953
- Five have plenty of fun - First printed 1955 - foxing and one page is lose.
- Five go down to mystery moor - First printed 1954 Last page cut out.
- Five go down to the sea First printed 1953 Foxing and some pages folded at corner.
- Five fall into adventure Eighth impression 1959
- The rocking down mystery 1963 -
- The rub a dub mystery - year? Only year reference is : This impression first printed in 1954
- The rat a tat mystery This impression 1963
- The Rilloby Fair mystery first page torn out - This impression 1965. Spine tattered.
- Tales at bedtime This impression 1962
- Tales after tea: this impression 1961
- The treasure hunters (don't remember this one at all) No writing in it, foxing and some pages torn.
This impression 1962

- Third bedside book. First published 1951 Some scribbles in it. I had forgotten the colourfulness of this
one.
- Tales after supper. First page missing. No spine on this one. This impression 1960

I thought I had more Secret Seven, maybe they are on other shelves, I have alot of books :D It was fun going through them again! I live in the Hague area of Holland, so if you know somebody in the area, its fine to arrange pickup, otherwise, there is postage costs involved for you for parcel delivery. I don't know prices, I don't know the dating of "first impression" or if first printed it means that the book is a later copy ect. I will leave that to your expertise. I hope you find a gem you have been looking out for!

Cherie
Last edited by Cherie on 13 Feb 2013, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Looking for a good home

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm interested in the Cherries book, any idea how much you want for it? I'm in the middle of nowhere, Scotland for the weekend with a patchy phone signal so forgive me if I don't reply again right away.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

Fiona1986 wrote:I'm interested in the Cherries book, any idea how much you want for it?
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. The books were a gift, nice to pass on to somebody who cares. Would it suit you to donate an amount of your own choice to Children in Need or a charity of your choice? I can look into postage costs for you from here.

Cherie
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Hi Cherie,

If possible I would like to provide a good home for the following:

Three cheers Secret Seven - first pages missing, starts at chapter one. Rows of children on cover (Blue-Lightblue)
Good work Secret Seven - First page of book is missing. Fifth impression.
Secret Seven on the trail - First page is missing Seventh impression.

Mystery stories - First page taken out. Maybe my Grandma did that coz there was another dedication in it!

The queer adventure Looks like a page has been ripped out of front.Copyright 1952, fozing a page bent and a little torn

Thanks

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Cherie wrote:The books were a gift, nice to pass on to somebody who cares. Would it suit you to donate an amount of your own choice to Children in Need or a charity of your choice? I can look into postage costs for you from here.
I'd be very happy with that arrangement if that's what you want. I'd be happy to donate to any children's charity. I'm in the UK so if you let me know what the postage will be and how to make payment I will get right on it :)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

hi Fiona,

I will have it weighed at the post office and let you know. Great that you will donate! I enjoy making postal art, so maybe send me UK stamps for the worth of the postage instead of Euro's? Makes life a bit easier that way and I use the stamps to decorate. Regular Dutch stamps are a bit boring. If possible anything Lewis Caroll like, soldiers, flowers, birds, romantic, I am sure you get my idea. Drawing is a great hobby of mine and postal art is a quick fix for me. I spend alot of time usually, a bit fussy :shock:
How lucky you are to work with children, they make wonderful art, so full of imagination!
I will send you a pm with my details.

Cherie
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

pete9012S wrote:Hi Cherie,

If possible I would like to provide a good home for the following:

Three cheers Secret Seven - first pages missing, starts at chapter one. Rows of children on cover (Blue-Lightblue)
Good work Secret Seven - First page of book is missing. Fifth impression.
Secret Seven on the trail - First page is missing Seventh impression.

Mystery stories - First page taken out. Maybe my Grandma did that coz there was another dedication in it!

The queer adventure Looks like a page has been ripped out of front.Copyright 1952, fozing a page bent and a little torn

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Great that they have a good home to go to. Would you too agree to a donation, like Children in Need or another? I see that the EBS is also looking for support, I missed that before. Anyway, I leave it up to you. Also the same as Fiona, UK stamps instead of euro's? I will pm you my details once I have the correct postage from the post office.

Cherie
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Dear Cherie,the arrangement you have outlined sounds absolutely fine.I will look out for your PM.

Regards

Pete

Society Member
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

I cleaned up the list, let me know if anybody is interested.

- Five go off to camp - sixth impression 1953
- Five have plenty of fun - First printed 1955 - foxing and one page is lose.
- Five go down to mystery moor - First printed 1954 Last page cut out.
- Five go down to the sea First printed 1953 Foxing and some pages folded at corner.
- Five fall into adventure Eighth impression 1959
- The rocking down mystery 1963 -
- The rub a dub mystery - year? Only year reference is : This impression first printed in 1954
- The rat a tat mystery This impression 1963
- The Rilloby Fair mystery first page torn out - This impression 1965. Spine tattered.
- Tales at bedtime This impression 1962
- Tales after tea: this impression 1961
- The treasure hunters (don't remember this one at all) No writing in it, foxing and some pages torn.
This impression 1962

- Third bedside book. First published 1951 Some scribbles in it. I had forgotten the colourfulness of this
one.
- Tales after supper. First page missing. No spine on this one. This impression 1960

Cherie
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

hi!

I have had the packets weighed and it works out as follows:
- @ Fiona. The book is regarded letterbox postage. It weighs under 500 grams. This works out at 7 euro 20 cents. One euro = round about 86 pence.
_ @Pete The five books are regarded parcel post. Europe 1 area. Without track and trace it costs 9 euro's and with track and trace it costs 13.00 euro's. Again one euro = about 86 pence.Track and trace does just what it says, you get a number and you can track the package.

I am happy being sent the equivalent euro to UK pounds in decorative stamps for my postal art. Let me know if you want me to send the packets off and I will give you my details.

Cherie
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Many thanks Cherie.
I have sent you a PM

Pete

Society Member
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

hi Pete,

I sent a PM but its not moved from the outbox. Could you please PM me your surname so the address is complete? Thanx!!
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

Both parcels posted today!

Cherie
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

Glad to hear they arrived Pete and that you are happy with them! I am happy they have a good home. I have sent you a pm, which is still hanging in the outbox. Nothing speedy!

Cherie
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks for you pm Cherie.Yes I agree the postal system is very erratic!
Hope my return package to you reaches you just as fast! :D

Regards
Pete

Society Member