Looking For Fatty & co. in Peterswood/Bourne End

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Green Hedges

Re: Looking For Fatty

Post by Green Hedges »

Here are some notes on the location of the three houses in the next few Find-Outer books. I mean the houses of the Hilton children :) :shock: , the Daykins duo :? :) and the Trotteville boy :mrgreen: .

As I say in my last post, in the first book in the series, The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage, all three families are based on Haycock Lane in Peterswood, effectively Coldmoorholme Lane in Bourne End. Let the geography investigation continue...

THE MYSTERY OF THE DISAPPEARING CAT:
In the second book, much of the action takes place at the Hiltons house and next door. The others have moved house, though. On the way back from a trip to Farring (presumably east of Bourne End given what comes later) Daisy and Larry are first to be dropped off 'at the corner of the road where they lived'. Then Fatty goes into his house (which could be on the main village street). Then Pip and Bets who 'rode home down the lane'.

It becomes clear that Pip and Bets live on the same lane as they did in the first book when they arrange to have a picnic with the inspector. 'I'll be along your lane about four o'clock' he says to them. They all go down the lane to the river. For me this is Enid keeping a toe-hold in her old stamping ground. The books will keep coming back to the big playroom at the Hiltons house, and there are many important and lovely scenes set on 'the lane that leads to the river'.

THE MYSTERY OF THE SECRET ROOM:
Pip and Bets house must have three floors to it. Their big playroom is upstairs. And Fatty goes upstairs from that to do his 'unlocking a locked door' trick in one of their 'box rooms'. (Old Thatch certainly did not have three floors, being a very long cottage with an upstairs at only one end of it. But there are some larger houses down the lane, I'm sure.)

To get to Larry and Daisy's house, Pip and Bets have to go through the village. They have to pass Mr Goon's house which is on the main street in the middle of the village.

There's a curious bit when Fatty goes to Pip and Bets house, knowing they're at the Daykins place. He's there in time to see Goon run a warm iron over the sheet of paper to reveal a letter from the Find-Outers to Goon. The letter (which Fatty has switched when he was in disguise) is polite, and Mrs Hilton wonders what Goon has got to complain about! I would have to look at the book again to work out why Enid kept the other Find-Outers out of the way for that scene. Or can anyone else suggest the reason for that off the top of their head, Fatty-style?

Fatty's house has a small crowded den. Pip comes in to it excitedly after seeing the secret room in the house on Milton Street, which is descrbed as over the hill, that is to the north of Peterswood/Bourne End.

Near the climax of the book, Pip goes to Milton House, gets the note written by Fatty and takes it back to his house. Bets and he then go to Larry and Daisy's house, upstairs, where they have the bright idea of running a warm iron over the note to reveal what it really says - Fatty is in big, big trouble at Milton House.

For the first time in the Mystery series the locations of all the houses throughout Peterswood is important, with much complicated (and rewarding) moving about within and between the houses of the children, Goon's house, and Milton House up Chestnut Lane.

THE MYSTERY OF THE SPITEFUL LETTERS:
Several times in this book (pages 12, 25 and 54 of the original Methuen) the kids meet at a corner with a church. It's obviously handy for all three houses, but it's not something that's mentioned in subsequent books as far as I'm aware. Perhaps something for Viking Star and David Cook to look out for on their forthcoming visit to Bourne End?

The book is dominated by Fatty running amok as a red-haired delivery/butcher/telegraph boy, cycling here, there and everywhere about Peterswood/Bourne End.

Interesting scene in the Hiltons playroom. There is a call from Mrs Cockles, a servant there, who wants to speak to Mrs Moon, the Hiltons cook, to explain why she won't be along that day. Fatty comes downstairs to take the call (the phone's been ringing for a while) and - on finding out about another spiteful letter - arranges there and then to visit Mrs Cockles sister at 9 Willow Lane. How forward is the fat boy! He goes off, sees the new spiteful letter, humilates Goon when he arrives on the scene, and goes back to the Hiltons playroom where he soon has the others roaring with laughter. Fatty at full throttle!

Another interesting scene from a geographical perspective is the one where Fatty is locked in the box room of Goon's house. The window looks out on the High Street, confirming the location of Goon's house as stated in the previous book.

One more for now: THE MYSTERY OF THE MISSING NECKLACE:
The book starts off, in a really feel-good kind of way, as so many of them do, in the Hiltons house or garden on Haycock (Coldmoorholme) Lane .

The children cross the level-crossing to get to the sideshows (including the Waxworks Hall) by the riverside, confirming all the geography of the west end of Bourne End, as first gone through by Enid in the Burnt Cottage mystery.

Quite a lot goes on in the main village street, with tramp on bench. After being at the river and having walked along 'the village street' and taken in the tramp scenario, the children part and go their different ways 'Pip and Bets down their lane, and Larry and Daisy up theirs.' Down meaning downhill towards the river. Up being uphill away from the river.

By now, generally speaking, Enid is settling down to be consistent in her Peterswood locations. Her mental map is just about finalised. She's not giving too many clues away as to where Fatty lives. (For that I'd still refer to those initial notes I made about the MIssing Man mystery for that.) Also, it's not until Hidden House that she goes up to another level of local referencing, mentioning Marlow and other real or tantalisingly half-real place names much more often.

As I say, I hope these notes are of some use to Viking Star's expedition to Bourne End. And to anyone else who happens to find themselves on those magically transporting streets. Bourne End: The Magic Faraway Village... Bourne End: The Wishing Village...

Right now I'm off for a kip on the tigerskin rug in Fatty's shed. You see, he's invited anyone from the EBS to drop in ANY TIME.

Svery comfy,
Duncan
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Green Hedges wrote: Right now I'm off for a kip on the tigerskin rug in Fatty's shed. You see, he's invited anyone from the EBS to drop in ANY TIME.
Off for a kip after writing a post at 11.09am Duncan? That post must have been exhausting! :lol:

I've arranged with David to visit Bourne End at the end of March. I may go myself before then, as I'm feeling quite excited about the possibilities of some ground-breaking research! :wink: That said, I'm also quite realistic about the possibility of not discovering anything from which one can draw any obvious conclusions.

One of the things I would ideally like to do before I visit is to go through all the books and extract any geographical references. I'm not sure how time consuming such a task will be though! Your latest post is very welcome in that respect.

I also thought it would be useful to see a copy of the 1920 map of Peterswood which you say was replicated in an EBS journal. If anyone wants to send me a copy, feel free (I wasn't a member of the Society when said journal was published). Otherwise I think it's possible to buy old maps for a reasonable price - I looked some up last week. Also if anyone else is aware of geographical clues re. Peterswood/Bourne End, please submit a post!

The Hiltons lived in the Red House. In the unlikely event that there is a big red house on Coldmoorholme lane, that would be very interesting! 8)
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Vic Nicholas
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Vic Nicholas »

This thread has been fantastic reading.

Having grown up and lived my whole life in Melbourne, when I visualize Peterswood, I think of many parts of my own suburb of Kew which has many century old homes on larger than average blocks that form a mental picture in my mind of what "Peterswood" might look like.

One day I (along with my wife who is a FFO convert) want to see Bourne End, Cookham, Marlow and Maidenhead to see the world that I have read much about.

In the meantime, Kew will have to do...and fellow Melbourne Blyton fanatics would know what I am talking about.

Fatty could have lived in this home:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rs ... 1204601709" target="_blank

Maybe Lady Candling lived in this home:

Perhaps the Hiltons lived here:

Walking around here - there are many, many places which spark the imagination.

Keep up the good work guys!

Vic
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

I think I've found Fatty.

Full story to follow later.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Viking Star:] Full story to follow later.
Don't keep us in suspense too long this time! :wink:

*Wonders if a plate of gooey macaroons and sticky gingerbread might entice VS back to the Forums. Starts weighing out sugar and cracking eggs.*

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

My last post was unplanned - see time of! :shock:

I had a very restless night last night, caused mainly by Bourne End/Peterswood and the various possibilities going round and round in my head. :D :roll:

At 4.40am, somewhat out of boredom, I switched on my iphone which I power up beside me each night, and looked to see if any emails or texts had arrived since I had gone to bed (NB. A very good friend is on holiday in Australia at the moment).

The iphone told me I had a notification on the forums for "Looking for Fatty". As this was pretty much what was keeping me awake, I accessed the forums via my iphone.

Vic Nicholas (who lives in Australia) had posted a message about 4 minutes earlier. I thought I would be helpful and post a quick message saying I thought I had found Fatty's house. During the remainder of the restless morning I wondered whether I should delete the post, but I was too tired (and not sure if anyone had read it by then).

This message is posted from work, so I can't spend too much time writing a report, plus I can't load photos from a work computer.

However, I'm reasonably sure I've found Fatty's house. :D :D

I nearly missed it, as I believe Green Hedges did.

I may also have found Pip and Bets house. :D :D

I may also have a picture of the Ivies ('Strange Messages', Viv :wink: ).

And I don't think there's any reasonable doubt that 'Burnt Cottage' is based in and around Coldmoorholme Lane, as Green Hedges has posted. :D

I'll be busy writing tonight - hopefully I won't be too tired after last night's lack of sleep! :roll:
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Well, here I am in Fatty's shed.

I'm lying on the tiger-skin rug, drifting in and out of sleep. This is mostly due to the tin of condensed milk that's on the floorboards nearby. Just one tiny lick of the back of the teaspoon that I periodically lift from that thick creamy-sugary honey-treacley stuff is enough to put me out like a light. I'm trying to stay off such a concentrated treat for a while though. Long enough to write this post.

Of course, when I say I'm 'in Fatty's shed', I'm not trying to steal Viking Star's thunder. Not at all! Because I'm only in the shed in the sense that you can be after reading this thread in the Forums. I suppose I'm in Fatty's shed VIRTUALLY.

One of the good things about being in Fatty's shed in this way is that it's something that can be shared without anyone intruding on anyone else's personal space. An infinite number of Fatty's sheds lie here in this virtual reality world. (one for Anita, one for Ming, one for Tony, one for Moonraker, one for Robert, one for Keith, one for Vic Nicholas, one for Belly, one for Lenoir... well, you get the idea.) Hopefully, more EBS members will make it into Fatty's virtual shed. Scomfiest place in the world.

So where is Fatty's shed? Well, the irony is I don't know. All I can see from the window is a suburban back-garden circa 1930-60, with a mown lawn, some shrubs and a wooden fence that is particularly prominent. The shed has been locked (by Goon, I presume) and will remain so until Viking Star (hopefully: fingers crossed) let's me out of here. Yes, the virtual shed has the potential to become a real shed site. How brilliant is that! :D Damn, in my overexcitement I've shovelled a full spoonful of condensed milk into my gob. :oops: I can feel myself losing consciousness as I type...

Slovely feeling though..

Slippery old head..

I mean shed...
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

I didn't get home from work 'til 9 o' clock tonight, have just had dinner, so am only now settling down to write a report. I also have to load pictures up to be re-sized before I can put them on the forums so it could take a wee while, but will defintely post re. Fatty tonight.

Thanks to Green Hedges for all the info in his posts, and thanks to Anita for the macaroons to keep me going! :D

Back as soon as poss! :wink:
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

I had been planning to visit Bourne End since late summer last year, when I met David Cook at Viv of Ginger Pop’s Enid Blyton Birthday Party at Corfe Castle. David kindly offered to show me around Bourne End and the various places associated with Enid. As it had been David who first made the Bourne End/ Peterswood connection, I was quite thrilled by the offer (well no, “excited” is the word).

However because of other commitments on both our sides, the joint visit still hasn’t happened. That will be rectified at the end of the month, when hopefully there will be new discoveries to be made!

In the meantime Green Hedges recently started this string and shared with us the fact that Enid had been very specific about much of the geography of Peterswood. I got very excited (that word again!) and felt I had to pay a visit to Bourne End soon. After all I don’t live that far away, and I haven’t got commitments that prevent me from doing what I want to with my time!

So this Sunday gone, having slept for far too long (!) I rushed out of my flat to catch the 14.43 from Paddington (to Maidenhead, where I then changed for Bourne End). I made the train at Paddington with seconds remaining (story of my life) and arrived at Bourne End about an hour later. Hardly a timely arrival for in-depth investigating, I realise! Fortunately it doesn’t get dark quite so early now!

I walked out of the station and down towards Bourne End Parade full of excitement. As others have commented, Bourne End has changed a lot from when Enid wrote her books. The first stretch of road consists of fairly new buildings or gaps where something is due to be built. It was only when I reached the Parade and saw the shops/buildings (including Bakery!) along one side that I began to get a bit of an idea of what Bourne End/Peterswood used to look like. At this point I also passed what I believe is the old Police Station, a la PC Goon, which has been boarded up.

I walked along the Marlow Road guided by my trusty iphone, which has the Google maps/satellite facility to which Green Hedges refers in his first post on this string. Green Hedges had identified two houses out of a block of five between Wendover Road and Abbotts Road as strong candidates for where Fatty might have lived. In fact I think three of the five were candidates ie. they were all old enough. As the houses came into view my excitement levels went up still more! Part of me wanted to post a message on the forums (via said iphone) saying that I was in Bourne End/Peterswood and about to search for Fatty’s house! However I thought the better of it.

The first house/building of the five was in fact still in the process of being constructed! I passed behind it and went down the narrow lane behind the houses which Green Hedges had spoken about in his post. Was this really the narrow lane to which Enid had referred in ‘Missing Man’?

The fence was quite high, and I couldn’t see over it into the gardens of the houses. When I had walked through to the end, I took a close look at the other four houses.
Following the house under construction (of which I didn't take a picture) are two big red brick buildings. Today, each of these buildings is actually comprised of two homes. I haven’t yet decided whether this was always the case, or whether like many old houses, the building has since been divided into smaller homes. Either way, neither of these buildings seemed to make a convincing case as to be Fatty’s house. Here they are:

The next house was relatively modern so was ruled out. That left one house!

The last house was old (‘1891’ was carved just below a chimney). Again, the brick appeared to be largely red, but it was difficult to tell too closely, because it was surrounded by a fence at the front as well as the back. Entrance to the house was via a gate on the corner of the Marlow Road and Abbot’s Road. However once again the gate was high (far above my height), and it had what looked like a very expensive alarm fitted to it. Here it is - these are best pictures I could get.

At this point I was mulling over which of the three old houses was likely to be Fatty’s. Green Hedges’ argument about the narrow lane and the five houses had seemed fairly convincing: which was the most likely? The two houses in the middle could be the right size and age. They were made of red brick, but did have white fencing. The last house also seemed to be about the right size and age, although again it seemed to be made of red brick (what you could see of it through the fence) with white fencing.

As I looked at the end house and the narrow lane that ran behind, I inadvertently changed the direction of my sight line. What was that over the other side of the lane?

Could it be.......? :shock:

It was!! :shock: :shock:

The White House! But behind the fence on the other side of the narrow lane! I had been focussing on the five houses mentioned by Green Hedges. Also, as I had walked through the narrow lane from Wendover Road with the five houses on the left side, there had been nothing to look at on the right - until the other end.

Last edited by Viking Star on 07 Mar 2008, 01:53, edited 2 times in total.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Exciting stuff, Viking Star. :D Keep it coming! (I didn't mean to put you under such pressure to get your account written up, though!)

Hopefully next time you and David Cook will manage to make it to Bourne End a bit earlier than the late afternoon! :wink:

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Wow! Quite an adventure! :shock:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

What a great documentary you could make! A video of your investigation would be a great item at this years EBD! :D
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

With my tunnel vision, I was thinking that it might have made a nice article for a future Journal! :lol: We all think in different ways! :lol:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:With my tunnel vision, I was thinking that it might have made a nice article for a future Journal! :lol: We all think in different ways! :lol:
I would say there's room for both! :D
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Excellent stuff VS. I quite agree that there is room for a journal article here. A great many people would be intensly interested in this.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member