Blyton defended on Oz TV 4/06/06

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Vic Nicholas
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Blyton defended on Oz TV 4/06/06

Post by Vic Nicholas »

Dear Blyton fans,

This is my first post here, so forgive me for ploughing straight into something without any introduction.

Last night on current affair program "Today Tonight" there was a report on Enid Blyton books being re-written to make them more politically correct.

Here is the link:

http://seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=29118

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Popular children's books written by author Enid Blyton are set to be re-written in the latest example of political correctness gone mad.

The characters of Dick, Fanny and Bessie from The Faraway Tree and The Famous Five are apparently now offensive and need to be changed.

Despite the obvious sexual connotations Fanny and Dick have in these modern times, Bessie is apparently offensive because it was a common name for slaves and the character Bessie at one time had dark skin.

Primary School principal Peter Paul believes it is ridiculous and unnecessary.

"The enjoyment I was getting from Enid Blyton is the same kids are getting today," he said.

Storyteller and president of the Victorian Children's Book Association, Graham Davey, said the publishers are missing the point.

"Those books were written at a time and those were the names of the time," Graham said.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ofcourse the report was longer, with interviews with children on their thoughts. The Principal and the children love the books as they are.

I sincerely hope publishing houses take note and stop tampering with Blytons work.
Katie

Post by Katie »

I have to agree with you .

At 6 I read my son a famous five and he giggled and laughed at the names, then we had a talk about old fashioned names, and at 8 he is beginning to devour her books on his own. No more giggles just an understanding of different times now.

Children don't have adult thoughts. They have their own, it's adults who maybe never loved reading as a child or have hang up's over their own who complain. Not the children.

The children are busy being children, reading for the story line, adventure and enjoyment.

I devoured every Enid Blyton book I could get my hands on as a child onwards, and I have grown in to a non racist, balanced, non sexist, equal intelligent woman who takes joy in and has a genuine love for reading and writing.

I know my children are growing in the same way

It is because of Enid Blyton I love to read !!!!!
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Katie wrote:I have to agree with you .

At 6 I read my son a famous five and he giggled and laughed at the names, then we had a talk about old fashioned names, and at 8 he is beginning to devour her books on his own. No more giggles just an understanding of different times now.

Children don't have adult thoughts. They have their own, it's adults who maybe never loved reading as a child or have hang up's over their own who complain. Not the children.

The children are busy being children, reading for the story line, adventure and enjoyment.

I devoured every Enid Blyton book I could get my hands on as a child onwards, and I have grown in to a non racist, balanced, non sexist, equal intelligent woman who takes joy in and has a genuine love for reading and writing.

I know my children are growing in the same way

It is because of Enid Blyton I love to read !!!!!
I know I have Most of the famous five books myself and I would hate having to hide them and then purchasing the politicaly correct ones.
tkurbjuhn

Post by tkurbjuhn »

The political correctness has to change the Blyton books, because the values in it are dangerous for a world only governed short-sighted by the rush for money. So, if you don't like the changes in Blyton books, you should think about the reasons. This is hard, it leads to political conclusions which are absolute not correct( revival of nationalism or, in my opinion more probable, the islam governing europe like the religions in the middle age). Perhaps this goes a bit too far for this forum, but on the other hand it irritates me that there are many complaints about pc in Blyton books but no one tries to dug deeper for the reasons.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

tkurbjuhn wrote:The political correctness has to change the Blyton books, because the values in it are dangerous for a world only governed short-sighted by the rush for money. So, if you don't like the changes in Blyton books, you should think about the reasons. This is hard, it leads to political conclusions which are absolute not correct( revival of nationalism or, in my opinion more probable, the islam governing europe like the religions in the middle age). Perhaps this goes a bit too far for this forum, but on the other hand it irritates me that there are many complaints about pc in Blyton books but no one tries to dug deeper for the reasons.
That while being a very good point does not explain why they have to change the names Dick and Fanny thought.