Membership

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Moonraker

Membership

Post by Moonraker »

Certainly for many - myself included - the Forums are the kernel of the nut. However, can I urge those of us who are not members of the Enid Blyton Society to consider joining?

Surely the feeling of belonging to the Society must be the ultimate experience of a lifetime?

I appreciate it costs £8 pa in the UK (slightly more elswhere), but for goodness sake, that's only 3 pints of beer! Think what you can access on the site - think of the Journals - think of belonging!

Come on, you know Tony's address....... :lol:
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Agree totally, Nigel. Belonging to the Society feels a bit like being a member of the Secret Seven or the Five Find-Outers. There are exciting new discoveries to be made in every Journal and treasures to be gleaned too. If they hadn't been reprinted by the Society, I certainly wouldn't own copies of gems like The Wonderful Adventure, Letters From Bobs and The Luck of the Laytons. I even have an Enid Blyton Society badge. It is currently being worn proudly by a little Rupert Bear (McDonald's version) whom I rescued from a charity shop. But I'm sure Rupert will be kind enough to let me have the badge for the Enid Blyton Day in May!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I agree completely. The society is a wonderful thing to belong to. The members only section of this site is fascinating and the journals are a real joy to receive. I joined just over a year ago and that trifling subscription fee was money very well spent.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It is interesting, as Tony mentioned, that this thread has only attracted two replies. Does that tell us something about non-members? I would assume that their presence on the Society web-site is solely for forum posting along the lines of chatting and participating in games and discussions on Malory Towers. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with that, I do all of this myself!

I am just surprised that with such interest in All Things Blyton, joining the Society and becoming a member with all the extra benefits that this brings, plus the feeling that you are now really part of the Society family, that more of our regular contributors don't join.

It would be very interesting to hear from non-members the reasons why they haven't joined.

On am alternative note, there are many Society members who never post, and possibly never look at the web-site. Many, no doubt, have no internet access; others that have.....well, I don't know.

The annual Enid Blyton Day is another must. Obviously if living far away, then it is difficult and costly to attend. However, a day spent with like-minded people, shelves and shelves of originals, talks by our heroes, Enid's daughters (hopefully), meeting each other......wow, how can you not be there?

I am really looking forward to meeting Prabhu, Anita (always a pleasure), Ming and many, many others, that I would feel amputated if I were not part of the family.

Any comments?
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I will definitely subscribe when I am in UK. My father doesn't have a bank account in UK and PayPal had both me and him nearly off our heads so I will have to subscribe directly. And I am very much looking forward to meeting the persuasive and eloquent Nigel! :D Will definitely be joining.

Society Member
Timmy-the-dog
Favourite book/series: Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Me!!

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

totally agree with the above. And, of course, non-members don't receive copies of the wonderful journal - just the best EB info on the planet!!
cheers
Timmy
woof,woof!!
Jools
Favourite book/series: The Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Julian

Post by Jools »

I am really enjoying my membership to the society. There's definitely a sense of family here. Warm fuzzies :lol:
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I was thinking of Miss Grayling's remarks to new girls at Malory Towers:

"You will all get a tremendous lot out of your time at Malory Towers. See that you give a lot back!"

We all get a tremendous lot out of our time on the Society website..........

Maybe, by joining the Society, we can do just that.
Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Ok, Ok, I'll join!

Have to be next month though as my Ebay addiction has somewhat crippled my spending power - I do maintain however they were all necessary and all bargains!
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[George@Kirrin:] "Ok, Ok, I'll join!"

Hurrah! I'll start embroidering EBS on a cloth-covered button for you forthwith!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Hurrah! I'll start embroidering EBS on a cloth-covered button for you forthwith!
Yipeeee, I'll make sure I don't let my brother get it ;)
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Well done, G@K! I could never see how a moderator couldn't be a member! :D
Society Member
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

George@Kirrin wrote:My Ebay addiction has somewhat crippled my spending power - I do maintain however they were all necessary and all bargains!
As are mine. Always. Really. Hey, does anybody have any hints as to how to convince spouses of the necessity of buying books on Ebay? :D
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/
Jools
Favourite book/series: The Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Julian

Post by Jools »

HeatherS wrote:
George@Kirrin wrote:My Ebay addiction has somewhat crippled my spending power - I do maintain however they were all necessary and all bargains!
As are mine. Always. Really. Hey, does anybody have any hints as to how to convince spouses of the necessity of buying books on Ebay? :D
Heather.
Just say that the state of your good mental health is dependent on the amount of books you have in your possession. Or, alternatively lock spouse in cupboard (in an affectionate way of course).
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

HeatherS wrote:
My OH introduced me to ebay, so it's all his fault ;-)