New Weekly Serial

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Tony Summerfield

New Weekly Serial

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have started a new thread for our next 'continuation novel'. You will notice that I do not use the term 'fanfic' as I have always felt that these full-length books are in a league above most of the short stories that appear. The novels in our Secret Passage are all set in the same period as Enid Blyton's original books, using the same characters in the same manner as Enid.

I have never really understood those who say that they are not prepared to read a book that wasn't written by Enid Blyton. Looking down their noses like this strikes me as being a bit narrow-minded.

Our next book, which will start tomorrow, is set at Malory Towers. I would just like to give a few background details. It was written by Lisa Newton whose name may ring a bell as she contributed articles in some of our earlier Journals. She sent it to me as a printed book just under three years ago. She wanted my opinion on the book as she was intending to send it to Egmont in the hope that they would consider publishing it. Sadly I was aware at the time that Egmont had signed a contract with Pamela Cox to write six sequels, and I had to break this news to Lisa. She was naturally very disappointed, but she hoped that perhaps I might be able to use the book on the website at some stage in the future.

Tragically, before Pamela Cox's first books were even published, Lisa died. Earlier this week I decided it was about time that Lisa's book was seen by a wider audience. I spent four days scanning, editing and proofreading the book and then sent each chapter to Anita, who also added her own magic touch. Yesterday I sent the whole thing to Keith and he has done an amazingly quick job on it so that we can start with the first chapter tomorrow – and you will have to wait until then to see the title! I will repeat that this book was written before Pamela Cox even started writing, and it follows straight on from Last Term at Malory Towers. Darrell has left to go to university and her younger sister, Felicity, has just moved into the third form.

It might also be worth mentioning that I have updated the Secret Passage password, which is now taken from Journal 43!!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: New Weekly Serial

Post by Ming »

Looking forward to the new Serial, Tony. One set at Malory Towers too - that's a different one. It's tragic that Lisa Newton couldn't see her novel up on the website, but I'm sure it'll be excellent. :D

Oh, and could you PM me the password, please, Tony? Thanks.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm also looking forward to reading Lisa Newton's Felicity in the Third Form at Malory Towers. It's very sad indeed that Lisa didn't live long enough to see her book serialised on this website.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

A good start to the serial by Lisa Newton. What a pity that the lady herself is not here to witness her work in print.

It's many a year since I read any of the school stories, so I'm not very familiar with the characters, but that won't stop me reading the serial.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Really enjoying the serial so far. It's been quite a while since I read a book (shock! horror!) and Felicity in the Third Form at Malory Towers is great. :D

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

We have had no comments at all on our Malory Towers serial since the very first chapter last year, but with the final chapter coming up in three days time I do hope that someone has been reading it.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:We have had no comments at all on our Malory Towers serial since the very first chapter last year...I do hope that someone has been reading it.
I never read serials, preferring to wait until the whole story is available to read.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I've been reading it Tony. Actually I have just read the latest 3 chapters in one go, rather than following it each week. It has been quite an enjoyable story. I expect Lisa got a lot of enjoyment from writing it and would have been pleased to know it has reached a wider audience. It's a shame she didn't live to see it here.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I had a phone call from her sister who was delighted to see it on the website and said that Lisa would have been very proud. She also told me that Lisa had actually finished off Felicity's time at Malory Towers before she died and there are three more books to come!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That's good to know Tony. We shall be well supplied for months to come!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I have just finished the last episode of 'Felicity in the Third Form at Malory Towers".

Kate.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

I thought the Malory Towers one was as good as the one Pamela Cox book I have read. Of course, it was a bit different from the usual continuation books because it was about Felicity’s form rather than Darrell and co.
Tony Summerfield

A new serial starts on Monday December 12th - anybody checked out the Home Page!
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

I have just checked it, Tony, and am delighted to see the first chapter of Julie's serial, The Mystery of Hazel Dene Cottage. :D I have just printed it and look forward to reading it at my leisure later today. What a Christmas treat, Julie! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I expect Julie will be too modest to mention it, but she also painted the picture of Hazel Dene Cottage that is featured on the banner. :D

Tony and I read the story a couple of months ago. I was about halfway through it when I realised that a 1980s pop song kept going round in my head: "Searching, looking for love/All the time I can..." I had no idea why it had suddenly popped into my mind as I hadn't heard it for over 25 years, and didn't have a clue who had sung it. In the end I looked it up on Youtube and laughed when I saw that the singer was Hazell Dean. Reading about Julie's "Hazel Dene" had obviously set the cogs turning and dredged up that song from the recesses of my mind!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member