Lost Enid Blyton book 'Mr Tumpy's Caravan' found

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Lost Enid Blyton book 'Mr Tumpy's Caravan' found

Post by Viking Star »

Below is a link to an article on the BBC web site reporting an unpublished and previously unknown Enid Book: Mr Tumpy's Caravan.

The typescript was one of those bought by Seven Stories last year at the auction of Gillian's belongings. I seem to recall discussion at the time as to whether the book was new or a copy of the published picture book. It's new!

Tony and Imogen are quoted in the article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12511512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Lost Enid Blyton book 'Mr Tumpy's Caravan' found

Post by Tony Summerfield »

This story has been in the pipeline for the last week or so as somebody at the BBC noticed it on the Seven Stories blog where it was actually posted a few months ago. It seems it may now be coming to a head as it is supposed to be on the BBC News tonight, but I guess this might depend on problems in Libya and an Earthquake in New Zealand. My phone has been red hot over the last few days and as yet the press haven't got involved. :roll:
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Two people forwarded me the link this afternoon, so it seems to be getting some attention.

Is it definitely true that Chorion own the rights to the book, even though they don't have a copy :lol: and it wasn't published? I guess they own the rights to Mr Tumpy.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

It would be lovely if this book could be printed. I hope it's not left to gather dust on a shelf because of legal red tape. An ideal solution would be for most of the profits from the sale of the book to go to Seven Stories to enable them to keep up their great work.
Society Member
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Post by Timmylover »

This is very exciting news. What an honour for the archivist to be able to read an unpublished manuscript of a Blyton book. I await further news with great interest.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
noddy13

Post by noddy13 »

Ive been off vacationing from the site for such a long time, only to be thrust headlong into exciting times...and of course that means the lost book.

I guess Tony... you are going to be one busy individual over the next few weeks. Just what you need... you thought it was all done and dusted....

Have fun
Tony Summerfield

This link which was sent to me by Ian Youngs at the BBC tells you more about the book than the link above.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12537902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I didn't see it on the news. Was it the radio I should have been listening too, I wonder? :?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

I am a bit confused - it is dated 1930s but Imogen thinks it is from much later??

Either way it is very exciting. Heres hoping that Chorion do the right thing and let Seven Stories keep the ownership. I would much rather see it published in original text and Seven Stories keep any profits than what I dread to think Chorion will do with it in their greedy little mitts.
Tony Summerfield

It is coming on the BBC News on BBC 1 in the very near future!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

It was one of the last articles on the BBC Ten o Clock news. They had a nice little comment from Imogen and some comments from Hannah Green(?) of Seven Stories. They also had some very positive opinions from children. I seem to have heard of Mr Tumpy's Caravan before. Wasn't there a journal article about it some time ago? I'll look it up in the morning. Great to see Enid featuring on the BBC's flagship news programme. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Sophia
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five, Adventure
Favourite character: Fatty, George

Post by Sophia »

My husband saw it on the BBC site and pointed it out to me. I recognized your name immediately, Tony :mrgreen: Lovely news!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Great stuff. I wonder how it compares to The surprising caravan which also has legs?

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... ng+Caravan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

If you did miss it, check out iPlayer! :D
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Take note of Will Gompertz's signing off line - once again the word spiffing is being used as a Blytonian term. :twisted:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017