The Cherrys by Will Scott

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

The Cherrys by Will Scott

Post by Lenoir »

Published by Brockhampton and illustrated by Lilian Buchanan. (In the fifties and early sixties)
I read a few of these (from the library) as a child. I’ve never seen them in a bookshop as new, only in second hand places. They must be rare now, judging by the prices they go for on the Internet – and only a few seem to be available. I have six of them, bought locally over the years.
I like the style of writing, and he is good at creating a sense of anticipation about what will happen next. The Cherrys have a parrot and a monkey.

Anyone else know these books?
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Re: The Cherrys by Will Scott

Post by lizarfau »

Yes, I remember them. I read three of them as a kid: The Cherrys to the Rescue, The Cherrys' Famous Case and one whose title I can't remember exactly - something like The Cherrys and Company. There were two families, the Cherrys and the Pringles. Can't remember the names of any of the kids, though. But I liked them, even though now I can't recall what they were about!
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

They were about “happenings” in the village of Market Cray. Their father, Captain Cherry, was the instigator of most of these happenings, which were games or activities that became adventures.
I have The Cherrys to the Rescue. I don’t have The Cherrys and Company, but the following book has a reference to it, so I know it is about solving the mystery of the empty house.

The Cherrys are Jimmy, Jane, Roy and Pam (admittedly I had to look in a book to make quite sure). Roy is the clever one. Joe and Betty Pringle are their friends.
The grown-ups were called the 'bigs' and the children the 'littles'!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I have "Cherrys to the rescue" which was handed down to me from my mum. I remember really liking it as a kid, and always thought of it as very Blytonesque... although I seem to remember that adults were quite involved in the story? I must go and read it again now!
Last edited by Fiona1986 on 15 Apr 2013, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

To me, one of the most appealing features of Will Scott's 14-book Cherrys series is the way in which illustrator Lilian Buchanan's maps, line drawings and coloured dustjacket pictures all mesh so consistently with each other and with the text.

One wonders if she had an author's sketchmap to guide her...
Last edited by Aurélien on 08 Apr 2009, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I agree with you entirely about Lilian Buchanan's illustrations, they were what persuaded me to buy my first Cherry's book. I only have four of them as they don't often turn up, and when they do there are in great demand and particularly on ebay they get very expensive. I think it might be easier to find them in New Zealand than it is here in the UK! :roll:
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

For me, one attraction of Will Scott's 'Cherrys' series is the careful detailing shown in top-notch illustrator Lilian Buchanan's accompanying sketches and maps - the unusually close agreement or 'meshing' between all Buchanan's pictures and maps, together with their faithfulness to journalist / cartoonist / playwright Scott's texts.

Also of note is the inclusion in the 'Market Cray' maps of several details which are unlikely to have been featured in an invented map based solely upon author/artist whimsy. What does this suggest?

All told, Will Scott's 14-book 'Cherrys' series, ably supported by Buchanan's maps and illustrations (including her covers), add up to something rather special in the way of children's books. One proof of this is that all these years after they finally went out-of-print the Cherrys Books tend to linger on in the mind, which will help to explain why they are expensive, sought-after items on the web.

The lingering impact of Scott's Cherrys series has also led to occasional web postings at various sites, mostly from middle-aged people who read the books as children. But, interestingly, there are also postings from a few younger folk who seem to have inherited and muchly enjoyed copies of some of the books. And postings from a few oldies like myself - I caught the first few titles as a kid, but was grown-up before the last title [Tne Cherrys and the Blue Balloon] was released in 1965, about the time of Scott's death.

(It was as a young adult in the early '70's, when the books were still being reprinted, that I was able to buy in my copies.)

There are a number of intriguing, unanswered questions about the series, some of which Will Scott's daughters (if still alive) and grandchildren might be able to answer, but:
(a) identifying Scott's descendants and
(b) locating them would probably be quite a task!

Hoping to exchange thoughts about Scott's 14-book 'Cherrys' series with others.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ in New Zealand
Last edited by Aurélien on 08 Apr 2009, 11:24, edited 2 times in total.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Welcome to our community, Aurélien. I'm a little curious as you've joined a Blyton forum, yet all your posts are about another author! This isn't at all meant to be a criticism, I just wonder if you have read many Blyton's, if so what are your favourites?

I must say, I'm not at all familiar with Will Scott's work, but it does look interesting. However, if Tony has difficulty in obtaining copies, maybe I won't bother!
Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Writing about my first posts here, Moonraker commented:
...you've joined a Blyton forum, yet all your posts are about another author!
A fair point, Nigel, and after giving it some thought I'd like to expand on the pm I sent you:
  • Firstly I had to start somewhere, and
    Secondly, it seemed safest *chicken noises from off-stage* :lol: to start on the fringes, where I at least had some idea of what I was writing about.
Several visits made to the public areas of this EBS website, before I registered, showed me how little I really know about EB and her books. :oops: And, during the time that I am learning more from some re-reading and from the public postings here, I plan to post more details about Will Scott's "Cherrys" series 'cos I believe that many devoted readers of EB's books will also enjoy any of the 14 Cherrys books they can lay their hands on.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

I look forward to reading your posts on the Cherrys series, Aurélien.

I remember our local library had several of these books and I read them as a child. That is the last time I saw any, apart from the few I have bought from second-hand shops over the years.

I quote a bit from the back flap of one of my books:
"Will Scott wrote more than 2000 short stories, which is believed to be a record for this country."
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Why you would enjoy reading theCherrysbooks:

As an enthusiastic reader, and a keen Blyton fan, you especially enjoy reading books about kids having adventures in pre-1970s British settings.

As someone always on the lookout for old Blyton books whenever you pass a place where second-hand books are on sale, it’s not too hard for you to keep an eye open for books by a few other writers from her era.

Will Scott’s ‘Cherrys’ books were all published by the Brockhampton Press, so even without dustjackets they are easily spotted by your practiced eyes. With the possible exception of the last 2 titles, they were all reprinted, at least once, (and at least one of them up to 5 times), so while it’s a challenge to find them it’s not impossible. And Blyton readers like challenges……

The 14 titles are:
  • #1 ‘The Cherrys of River House’ (1952)
    #2 ‘The Cherrys and Company’ (1953)
    #3 ‘The Cherrys by the Sea’ (1954)
    #4 ‘The Cherrys and the Pringles’ (1955)
    #5 ‘The Cherrys and the Galleon’ (1956)
    #6 ‘The Cherrys and the Double Arrow’ (1957)
    #7 ‘The Cherrys on Indoor Island’ (1958)
    #8 ‘The Cherrys on Zigzag Trail’ (1959)
    #9 ‘The Cherrys’ Mystery Holiday’ (1960)
    #10 ‘The Cherrys and Silent Sam’ (1961)
    #11 ‘The Cherrys’ Famous Case’ (1962)
    #12 ‘The Cherrys to the Rescue’ (1963)
    #13 ‘The Cherrys in the Snow’ (1964)
    #14 ‘The Cherrys and the Blue Balloon’ (1965)
‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Why you would enjoy reading theCherrysbooks:

As an enthusiastic reader, and a keen Blyton fan, you especially enjoy reading books about kids having adventures in pre-1970s British settings.

H-A-P-P-E-N-I-N-G-S

Lenoir wrote:
They were about “happenings” in the village of Market Cray. Their father, Captain Cherry, was the instigator of most of these happenings, which were games or activities that became adventures.
And Fiona1986 added:
...I seem to remember that adults were quite involved in the story?
So, then, one huge difference between Scott's Cherrys series and EB's books, (and indeed many of the children's books of that era), was *shock, horror* Parental involvement in the children's adventures.

How, you ask could a father of that era - a stuffy adult by definition - possibly be capable of setting up adventures or 'Happenings' for his children and their friends? Well, folks, before I try to answer that one let me tell you the worst - Captain Cherry not only invented many wonderful games but also he and sometimes some of the other adults even :roll: TOOK PART in these games!

You see, Captain Cherry - his first name is never given - was a most unusual adult. Having spent much of his life as part of exploration and survey teams (eg for a mining company in the Australian outback) he drew on this experience to invent intriguing (and cheap) games for his 4 kids.

Of course, he was also training them to 'keep their eyes open' so that they were aware of (tuned into) their environment in the rather special way that John R. Stilgoe calls for in "OUTSIDE LIES MAGIC", but enough of that.

In the ‘Cherrys’ books parental involvement is not only workable, it is actually something rather special.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Why you would enjoy reading theThe Cherrys and the Double Arrow’, #6 in the series:

The Cherrys’ most famous H-A-P-P-E-N-I-N-G started one hot summer* when the Cherry, Wilks and Pringle families set out on a survey of the area to south of ‘Market Cray’.

Arriving at their first goal/checkpoint, the bottom of the tallest tree in Raven’s Wood, they discovered :!: a double arrow pinned to the trunk of the tree.

If you were the intrepid child leader of the 16–strong team of ‘Bigs’ and ‘Littles’ (not forgetting a monkey and a parrot), what would you have done next? :?:

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’

* I’ve no personal experience of British summers, but :) a number of intrepid Kiwi explorers returning from the U. K. have assured me that warm summers do happen there, sometimes.
Last edited by Aurélien on 08 Apr 2009, 11:28, edited 2 times in total.
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

Aurélien wrote:Arriving at their first goal/checkpoint, the bottom of the tallest tree in Raven’s Wood, they discovered :!: a double arrow pinned to the trunk of the tree.
<<<<-------------------------------->>>>
If you were the intrepid child leader of the 16–strong team of ‘Bigs’ and ‘Littles’ (not forgetting a monkey and a parrot), what would you have done next?
I can’t remember if I have read that one or not.
I’ll guess that they split up and one group followed the one arrow, and the other group went off in the direction the other arrow was pointing.
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Lenoir stated:
I’ll guess that they split up and one group followed the one arrow, and the other group went off in the direction the other arrow was pointing.
One possibility, certainly, Lenoir. But *thinking back to all those movie Westerns watched as a kid* I seem to remember :lol: that whenever the Sheriff divided his posse to follow more than one trail 'cos the bandits had split up it always led to disaster!

Can anyone suggest other possible responses?

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Last edited by Aurélien on 08 Apr 2009, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.