What other author are you reading at the moment?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I love Susan Cooper's 'The Dark is Rising' series but the other titles (particularly the last two - The Grey King and Silver on the Tree) are far more mysterious and mystical than Over Sea, Under Stone, which is more like a typical children's adventure story with a sprinkling of myth and fantasy. The series as a whole harks back to John Masefield's The Box of Delights as well as to ancient legends.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I love The Dark is Rising series too! Very entertaining and enjoyable read. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

I'm hugely enjoying a re-read of an old favourite, Barbara Erksine's MIDNIGHT IS A LONELY PLACE, I had it for Christmas 1994 and still remember reading avidly at midnight and beyond! The atmosphere and chilling sense of place make it an unputdownable read.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Floragord, "Midnight" is my favorite Erskine novel and at least as thrilling as the best books by Stephen King.
Because of "Midnight" we went to Colchester/Essex in November 2008 to visit the Roman Museum which is harbored inside Colchester Castle and mentioned in the novel.
I'm planning to re-read "Lady of Hay" by Erskine in English and in German parallel. For Christmas I received the new hardcover version of "Lady of Hay" in English with the unseen chapter and the family tree (both is not included in the old German translation).

Last night I finished reading "The Winter Sea" by Susanna Kearsley which is in parts related to "Lady of Hay" and has a gorgeous setting: New Slains Castle in Scotland. We'll visit it in May when we'll be in Scotland.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ary_08.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have just started Stephen King's The Stand. At over 1,300 pages - and only reading in bed - that's my whole year's reading sorted in one book. :shock:
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

It’s a great story. Possibly his best ever.

I am reading Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens and making slow progress too. I can’t seem to get into it as I have with his other works.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I am enjoying it, John; in fact I have reached P170. The trouble is, I am put off by the thickness of the book (Oh, that I was reading it on my Kindle!). It seems like a massive pile of homework to get through!

As for Dickens, some of his work is a real slog. I stuck with Nicholas Nickleby last year, and bitterly regretted doing so.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I started to read Mark Stichler's "Hanni und Nanni in New York" today. I had it for quite some time, but I decided to read it today.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

Nigel - The Stand is fantastic! His best book I think. I reread it every three years or so
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I don't think I could cope with that! On p290 now!
Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

"Snap" on that, Chrissie, just as gripping as a re-read as the first time round. How nice you were able to visit the museum at Colchester, I hope to do that next time I visit a cousin in Ipswich - I can imagine its very atmospheric, with the remains of the Roman temple far below the Castle. Suggestions for this year's books for our discussion group are due next month and I think I'll choose MIDNIGHT. Speaking of chilling atmospheres I walked down the lane last night to the meeting, I had a torch but the complete darkness, no street lights in this rural area, moaning of the cold wind in the trees and the sound of running water from the nearby stream were quite shivery, I was glad to sip tea by the fire and enjoy the group's company!
Chrissie777 wrote:Floragord, "Midnight" is my favorite Erskine novel and at least as thrilling as the best books by Stephen King.
Because of "Midnight" we went to Colchester/Essex in November 2008 to visit the Roman Museum which is harbored inside Colchester Castle and mentioned in the novel.
I'm planning to re-read "Lady of Hay" by Erskine in English and in German parallel. For Christmas I received the new hardcover version of "Lady of Hay" in English with the unseen chapter and the family tree (both is not included in the old German translation).

Last night I finished reading "The Winter Sea" by Susanna Kearsley which is in parts related to "Lady of Hay" and has a gorgeous setting: New Slains Castle in Scotland. We'll visit it in May when we'll be in Scotland.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ary_08.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

floragord wrote:Speaking of chilling atmospheres I walked down the lane last night to the meeting, I had a torch but the complete darkness, no street lights in this rural area, moaning of the cold wind in the trees and the sound of running water from the nearby stream were quite shivery, I was glad to sip tea by the fire and enjoy the group's company!
Floragord, we had a very long power breakdown on Sunday. Usually it never lasts longer than 30 to 60 minutes. This time it started at 2:25 p.m. (I was just in the middle of watching a DVD) and lasted until 8:10 p.m.. No house in the neighborhood had light except one which used a generator. The street lights were all out/off.

As my husband escapes the winter to play golf in Florida right now like every year, I was all by myself, so around 4 p.m. when the daylight was no longer sufficient for reading by the window, I finally went to a neighbour to ask her if she had called the electricity provider? She had and told me that they were working on it.
As my cell phone was in my car as always I couldn't get to it, because the garage doesn't open without a remote which didn't work due to the power breakdown. :roll:
That's why I couldn't call my husband who started to worry about me from 6 p.m. on when he usually calls me.

As long as I still had some daylight, I gathered all flashlights/torches in the house plus my Barnes & Noble book reading lamp which can be clipped on to books and used that for reading until 8:10 p.m. when the power came back. Candle light is not strong enough for reading (at least not for me) plus it only turns on the fire alarm system in each room.

The funny thing with power breakdowns: each time our robot vacuum cleaner starts to run and I need to catch him, so he doesn't fall down the stairs. :D
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Chrissie - you're the first person I know who has a robot vacuum! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob, I was waiting to get one since 2007! It was a VERY LONG wait. :roll:
Finally in 2016 my husband gave in as the white dog hair everywhere in our house became too much to handle and I refuse to vacuum clean with the heavy Hoover vacuum cleaner which gives me back pain (I have back trouble).
In 2007 the reviews were still rather mixed, but obviously technology has been improved since then. :D
BTW they cost less than $180, so it's really no big deal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ILIFE-Robotic- ... m+cleaners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, people need to make sure that their robots cannot fall down staircases and that no cables are laying on the ground as they tend to swallow up the cables.
They even have robot vacuum cleaners which can wipe kitchens wet (I wish we would have known that before).
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
floragord

Post by floragord »

Chrissie777 wrote:
floragord wrote:Speaking of chilling atmospheres I walked down the lane last night to the meeting, I had a torch but the complete darkness, no street lights in this rural area, moaning of the cold wind in the trees and the sound of running water from the nearby stream were quite shivery, I was glad to sip tea by the fire and enjoy the group's company!
Floragord, we had a very long power breakdown on Sunday. Usually it never lasts longer than 30 to 60 minutes. This time it started at 2:25 p.m. (I was just in the middle of watching a DVD) and lasted until 8:10 p.m.. No house in the neighborhood had light except one which used a generator. The street lights were all out/off.

As my husband escapes the winter to play golf in Florida right now like every year, I was all by myself, so around 4 p.m. when the daylight was no longer sufficient for reading by the window, I finally went to a neighbour to ask her if she had called the electricity provider? She had and told me that they were working on it.
As my cell phone was in my car as always I couldn't get to it, because the garage doesn't open without a remote which didn't work due to the power breakdown. :roll:
That's why I couldn't call my husband who started to worry about me from 6 p.m. on when he usually calls me.

As long as I still had some daylight, I gathered all flashlights/torches in the house plus my Barnes & Noble book reading lamp which can be clipped on to books and used that for reading until 8:10 p.m. when the power came back. Candle light is not strong enough for reading (at least not for me) plus it only turns on the fire alarm system in each room.

The funny thing with power breakdowns: each time our robot vacuum cleaner starts to run and I need to catch him, so he doesn't fall down the stairs. :D
Bet you were pleased when the power came on again!, we have a few candles to light for 'dinner atmosphere' but just acquired a torch the other day when I knew I'd be out after dark, guess we're all used to the huge blessings of light, heating and the kettle at the touch of a switch! Its years since I used to read under the bedclothes by flashlight in the dormitory at school, enjoyed many an Enid Blyton tale that way :D