Favourite Five Find-Outers book

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

Your favourite Five Find-Outers book

1. Burnt Cottage
4%
2. Disappearing Cat
2%
3. Secret Room
12%
4. Spiteful Letters
13%
5. Missing Necklace
13%
6. Hidden House
6%
7. Pantomime Cat
8%
8. Invisible Thief
12%
9. Vanished Prince
2%
10. Strange Bundle
6%
11. Holly Lane
1%
12. Tally-Ho Cottage
10%
13. Missing Man
3%
14. Strange Messages
9%
15. Banshee Towers
2%

Total votes: 104

Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Favourite Five Find-Outers book

Post by Daisy »

I think they were inspired to put those false clues there because otherwise Luke would have been incriminated and they felt the whistle was put there on purpose. I know they managed to remove it but the idea of laying false clues had been sown.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I don't mind the laying of false clues in any of the books - after all, it was never done maliciously - just by children who felt it was a bit of fun and would cause some amusement (or help their friend Luke in the case of Disappearing Cat). I think too many people are looking at this with adult eyes, rather than as how children would see it! When I was young and I read Pantomime Cat, I thought it was brilliant that they were all tricking the new gullible PC Pippin. Children don't think of the consequences, and anyway, they often think they are being rather clever, rather than troublesome!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I always loved the laying of false clues in various books as it was great fun to see what items the children included and what happened as a result of their actions.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Which thanks God, always had a good outcome so it is fun to read.:D I especially like how the false clues in the Pantomime Cat eventually led to the real mystery.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:I don't mind the laying of false clues in any of the books - after all, it was never done maliciously - just by children who felt it was a bit of fun and would cause some amusement (or help their friend Luke in the case of Disappearing Cat). I think too many people are looking at this with adult eyes, rather than as how children would see it! When I was young and I read Pantomime Cat, I thought it was brilliant that they were all tricking the new gullible PC Pippin. Children don't think of the consequences, and anyway, they often think they are being rather clever, rather than troublesome!
Good point. I found the laying of false clues a bit troubling the first time I tried reading Pantomime Cat (as an adult), but I came back to it some time later in a better frame of mind and appreciated it as an important part of the plot. I don't think it really worried me in Disappearing Cat — the children in that case were deliberately trying to protect Luke and give poor old Goon something to puzzle over, and at least they all took the precaution of keeping a duplicate of each of the "clues" so they could later prove they were false if necessary, which makes for an amusing scene later on!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

Rob Houghton wrote: I think too many people are looking at this with adult eyes, rather than as how children would see it!
Yes, that's a good point. You do read things very differently as an adult. The potential consequences of the children placing false clues would never have come into my head as a child reading the book. Overall though, the children more than make up for this by solving mystery after mystery and beating Mr Goon to the chase all the time! :lol:
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes - as a child, I saw Mr Goon very much as the child characters did - as someone who needed bringing down a peg or two, teaching a lesson, and outsmarting. I never once felt sorry for any of the adults in these circumstances, but was always on the side of the children. 8) As an adult, I do sometimes think the children are being annoying or nasty or disrespectful - but I didn't think this at all as a child!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

Rob Houghton wrote: I never once felt sorry for any of the adults in these circumstances, but was always on the side of the children.
Me too, this was even more the case in the books in which Ern appeared in, as Mr Goon was especially rotten to him and I've always hated the way he forced Ern to spill the beans about the children's mysteries. So it was always good to see the children and especially Ern win over Mr Goon!
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Funnily enough, I'm pretty much the other way round. As a child, I thought it was a bit off that the children were antagonizing a police officer. No matter how much they disliked him, it was his job to uphold the law and they really shouldn't have interfered with that. I always felt rather sorry for him when he would try his hardest, still get upstaged by the kids, and then get belittled by Inspector Jenks at the end.

But now as an adult, Mr Goon reminds me so much of a colleague who's bullish, rude, impatient, pig-ignorant (and rather rotund). The children might still come across as nuisances, but quite frankly Mr Goon is not my idea of a friendly village bobby, and is clearly unfit for the job he's doing!
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

What is your favourite Mystery book?

Post by Yak »

Merged with an older topic.

As mentioned I am rereading the series at the moment and am trying to think of my favourite book. I like the later ones better in general, when the children are a little older. Missing Necklace is a very definite favourite, or the one with Eunice in it .. was that Missing Man?
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Missing Necklace was always one of my favourites in this series but I do like Pantomime Cat which isn't usually so popular.
Society Member
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

I like Pantomime Cat too, although it's one of the earlier ones.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

John Pickup wrote:Missing Necklace was always one of my favourites in this series but I do like Pantomime Cat which isn't usually so popular.
Missing Necklace was the first one I ever read. the second one I read was Pantomime Cat. Both are top favourites, along with Strange Messages, Holly Lane and Tally ho. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I’m with John and Rob where my favourites are concerned:

1 The Mystery of the Missing Necklace
2 The Mystery of the Pantomime Cat
Last edited by Eddie Muir on 29 Nov 2017, 21:19, edited 2 times in total.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I still haven't finished reading them all, so can't give a definitive answer yet!! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)