Gets earlier every year?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moonraker

But does it?

Post by Moonraker »

It must be remembered that Christmas arrives every year on the same date: 25th December. Never early.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Gets earlier every year?

Post by Courtenay »

Unless you're Eastern Orthodox, in which case it's 7th January. :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thanks, Courtenay. I hadn’t known that info. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I didn't know that either, Sixret. Courtenay is our oracle. :D
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

The "big" shops in London put their Christmas wares on display (and on sale!) early to capture the American tourist market. Can't say that I blame them. My gripe is with council Christmas decorations that are all white light bulbs. The sodium yellow street light above looks prettier- might as well stay at home and look at my ceiling light and stay in the warm!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh, I don't know — Sevenoaks, near where I live, usually has all-white Christmas lights, in snowflake and star patterns, and they look quite magical. :D Guess it's just a matter of taste. I'm planning to go shopping there in a few days' time and will make it towards the evening so I can see what the lights are like this year.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Christmas decorations have gone up in my workplace and in many shops near me. Grrrrr :evil: :evil: :evil: . I utterly hate this, it spoils Christmas to have it drawn out over such a long period. There should really be nothing Christmassy done until about the 10th of December. Some hope of that nowadays.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Lucky Star wrote: the 10th of December..
I agree.
I shall be half a century old on that date! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

John Pickup wrote:I didn't know that either, Sixret. Courtenay is our oracle. :D
That's one word for her... :D
Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

Lucky Star wrote:Christmas decorations have gone up in my workplace and in many shops near me. Grrrrr :evil: :evil: :evil: . I utterly hate this, it spoils Christmas to have it drawn out over such a long period. There should really be nothing Christmassy done until about the 10th of December. Some hope of that nowadays.
Actually I think that Christmas things should begin when the Advent begins, witch would be on the first of December. If you want a bit more generous on the shops, mid-November but not before.
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I suppose it's all about getting people into the spending mood as early as possible!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

I understand but I don't like it!

And it seems that less and less people know what the holiday really means.
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Some stores, one particular chain, put up the full set of decorations abut 2 weeks ago.
Others will follow soon. I haven't heard any "festive" music yet.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I've posted a Chris Squire/Alan White festive song for you on the last song listened to you thread Lenoir..
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Dinah Cunningham wrote:
Lucky Star wrote:Christmas decorations have gone up in my workplace and in many shops near me. Grrrrr :evil: :evil: :evil: . I utterly hate this, it spoils Christmas to have it drawn out over such a long period. There should really be nothing Christmassy done until about the 10th of December. Some hope of that nowadays.
Actually I think that Christmas things should begin when the Advent begins, witch would be on the first of December. If you want a bit more generous on the shops, mid-November but not before.
I agree completely. Apart from being annoying, it's deeply sad to see it drawn out for about four months. People had enough of it before it's properly arrived because it's brought out way too early, and on top of that, when it does arrive, it's over and gone in a flash and you're left feeling a bit 'was that it?' from weeks worth of hype. If people stuck to it only being for December it wouldn't do that. It's like people who for some bizzare reason put their tree and trimmings up in mid november then take them down around 20th december because their fed up with them! Of course you will be if you've stuck them up weeks too early :roll: !

Even sadder is knowing all those Christmassy things that were put up months too soon will be swept aside come dec 26th, all forgot about as it's on to the next event. I hate that, living from one big thing to the next on the calender, not only does it cheapen the event, it doesn't half push the year on :( .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶