What Are You Doing Now?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Good luck with the roofers. Seems there is no middle ground - either craftsmen are nearly toppling over themselves to do next to any job (and try to persuade you to let them do some more jobs) or they are so busy that they think they will get away with next to everything in the book of bad service.

If you are in the mood... Fawlty Towers, Episode 2 'The Builders' I was once at the point where I considered gifting my local builder with a copy of that specific tape. However, he would probably have identified me as Basil, but not himself as Mr O'Reilly... whereas I would rather ID him as perfectly cast for the role of Mr O'Reilly. Not so sure about me for Basil, though. :lol:

I have been replacing the core in a huge beefy British container padlock. Had a standard core (Zone brand, so not too bad in) and now has a high security one made by Assa. Just some little locksmithing job to find out whether I could do it. And of course, I would think I shouldn't need a locksmith for many routine jobs, which is quite a comfort. Re-roofing, well, quite a different kettle of fish.

All the best for you, Chrissie.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Dick Kirrin wrote: If you are in the mood... Fawlty Towers, Episode 2 'The Builders' I was once at the point where I considered gifting my local builder with a copy of that specific tape. However, he would probably have identified me as Basil, but not himself as Mr O'Reilly... whereas I would rather ID him as perfectly cast for the role of Mr O'Reilly. Not so sure about me for Basil, though. :lol:
You are Orelly men?? :mrgreen: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I am back from my expedition, and yes Rob I was indeed in Aberystwyth, in the Arts Centre, which has some beautiful, but very expensive craft work in there!

Elaine Paige was sublime, I was only a couple of rows back, and in the very middle looking directly at the stage - I was so close I could almost reach out to her!! I've never been star-struck before but I was when she appeared, all I kept thinking was 'I can't believe I'm so near the person I listen to on the radio every weekend!' :mrgreen: . She was utterly marvellous and sounds as good as ever, and because it was only a small hall, it was a lovely intimate, personal feeling concert, where she sang some of her favourite songs from the 60's & 70's (my two favourite music eras) along with the ones from her own shows, which I really had to struggle not to sing along to (it's so hard not to sing along to songs you know and love :P ), and in between chatting and telling little anecdotes. I got a signed tour poster and book, a programme and a pass card, and I bought some signed photos and two cd's off the merchandise table :D . There's only three famous people I've ever wanted to see/meet and two of them are dead so I'm really pleased that I've managed to at least see one of the three!

I did spend the day looking around the town, and most disappointingly, there is only one second-hand bookshop, an Oxfam. They have a tiny 'vintage children's books' section, but the only EB books in it I either already have or were paperback reprints. I wouldn't set your sights on taking away any Blyton bargains if you go to Aber, unless you land very, very lucky with what's in the Oxfam. There are a few other charity shops, including a really awful smelling Red Cross which was too grim to stay in :shock:, but none had any Blyton treasures. A shame, but then that wasn't the reason I was there so I can't say too much about it.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

"Sublime" is exactly the right word for Elaine Paige, IceMaiden. She has such presence and her voice is incredible. I'm glad you had a brilliant time at the concert. :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Dick Kirrin wrote:Good luck with the roofers. Seems there is no middle ground - either craftsmen are nearly toppling over themselves to do next to any job (and try to persuade you to let them do some more jobs) or they are so busy that they think they will get away with next to everything in the book of bad service.

If you are in the mood... Fawlty Towers, Episode 2 'The Builders' I was once at the point where I considered gifting my local builder with a copy of that specific tape. However, he would probably have identified me as Basil, but not himself as Mr O'Reilly... whereas I would rather ID him as perfectly cast for the role of Mr O'Reilly. Not so sure about me for Basil, though. :lol:

I have been replacing the core in a huge beefy British container padlock. Had a standard core (Zone brand, so not too bad in) and now has a high security one made by Assa. Just some little locksmithing job to find out whether I could do it. And of course, I would think I shouldn't need a locksmith for many routine jobs, which is quite a comfort. Re-roofing, well, quite a different kettle of fish.

All the best for you, Chrissie.
Thanks, Dick & good luck with the padlock.
Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Thanks mate. Padlock's done, works like a charm.
Hope the roofers will do the same when they come tomorrow.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Dick Kirrin wrote:All the best for you, Chrissie.
Thank you, Dick :).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Jack400

Post by Jack400 »

Dick Kirrin wrote:Thanks , mate. Padlock's done, works like a charm.
Hope the roofers will do the same when they come tomorrow.
Good to hear about the padlock, Dick.
The roofers... They should have arrived at 10 am. At 10:35 I phoned them to be told that he was just going to phone me but was in the bank and would phone me in 5 minutes. It was quite a while later that he phoned me -they are coming tomorrow. I asked, "what time" he was going to phone back in "5 minutes" (sounded familiar) :roll: to tell me the time . Fortunately I didn't wait- he phoned back ~ an hour later when I was shopping in Tesco! They are (hopefully) coming tomorrow ~11 am.
My days off after night shift seem to be vanishing quickly and unproductively...
Society Member
Jack400

Post by Jack400 »

The roofers arrived and sorted it in approx 30 minutes. Al last! :D
Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Congrats. All's well that ends well, then?
Jack400

Post by Jack400 »

Yes seems to be, thanks.
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Skipping through the two books due for discussion at tonight's book group to brush up my recall, I'd read them some time ago and scrawled some notes - luckily as the previous date was cancelled due to some members not completing their homework!! This evening's is the last meeting of 2017, should be pleasant by a log fire with "coffee and something" to keep out the autumn chills :D
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Being very busy with last preparations for our trip to New Orleans on Sunday.
We'll spend Thanksgiving with my lovely stepdaughter who teaches at Tulane University.
It's a good thing that EBS is very quiet right now as I have no time to participate.
Will catch up again after 25th of November.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Have a good trip and a lovely Thanksgiving, Chrissie! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Chrissie777 wrote: It's a good thing that EBS is very quiet right now as I have no time to participate.
Is it very quiet?! I must say I haven't noticed! :lol: I thought it was quite busy lately! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member