Monica Dickens

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Billy Farmer

Monica Dickens

Post by Billy Farmer »

I wondered are there any members on this forum, who have read any of the Follyfoot Books, written by Monica Dickens.

I have been enjoying watching the early 1970's children's series Follyfoot, on DVD, only five more episodes to watch, and then I will have seen all 39 episodes of the series.

I know Monica Dickens, also wrote many other Books (apart from the Follyfoot Books).
Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Re: Monica Dickens

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I have read " A Pair of Hands" by Monika Dickens and man! I enjoyed it so much!! It was a really cheerful book, full of humour, wit and reality! :D If anyone wants to give one of her books a try, a thousand times yes!!!!! :wink:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I haven't read any of Monica Dickens' books myself, but I remember when we were at school, my sister really enjoyed her "Messenger" series about a girl and a magical horse. I recall she even wrote a fan letter to Monica and got a personal reply back! :D I was always planning to read those books myself but never got around to it. Maybe they should go on my ever-increasing must-read list too.

Meanwhile, looking Monica Dickens up on Wikipedia, I've just discovered something I didn't know she was involved in... :shock:
In late 1964 Dickens was visiting Australia to promote her works. It was reported in the Sydney Morning Herald on 30 November 1964 that during a book signing session in Sydney she had been approached by a woman who handed her a copy of her book and enquired, presumably in a broad Australian accent, "How much is it?". Dickens reportedly misheard this as an instruction as to the name which she should include in the inscription ("Emma Chisit") and thus was born the phenomenon of "Strine" which filled the newspaper's letter columns and subsequently was the subject of a separate weekly article and, later, a series of humorous books.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

What a strange happening! A funny one too! :lol: Interesting fact Courtenay, thanks for sharing it! :D
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: I can vouch for the fact that we Aussies don't all talk like that, honestly. At least, most people here in England seem to understand me all right... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Machupicchu14

Post by Machupicchu14 »

In my school there's a teacher from Australia and she has a very clear and nice accent, so you are right! :wink:
Lev Tolstoy

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I was interested to learn that Monica Dickens was the great granddaughter of Charles. I didn't realise that. :-D

I get her confused with Monica Edwards - who also wrote pony books. My sister had 'Wish For A Pony' but that was by Monica Edwards. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I do remember the blurbs on the books in the Messenger series said Monica Dickens was Charles Dickens' great-granddaughter, which I thought was impressive even though I hadn't read anything by either her or Charles at the time. I'm also remembering now that when my sister got a letter back from Monica it gave her address as "Lavender Cottage, Pudding Lane", which to us Aussies, sounded so charmingly English! :D

Looks like the four books in the series are still available as e-books — here's the first one — though I'm sure they can be picked up in print second hand easily enough. Reading the blurbs makes me wish I had got around to reading them as a child — they sound really good! I think I was probably put off by the fact that they're about a 13-year-old girl — I must have been only about 8 or so when my sister was reading them — and although they did sound intriguing, knowing me, I would have thought "Oh, nah, that's teenager stuff, too grown-up for me." :roll: (Who knows, that might still be the case. :P )
Society Member

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Just followed one of the links from the Wikipedia page and found this interesting page from a "Pony Books" website that gives a good summary of Monica Dickens' life and a list of all her horse-themed books for young readers. I might have to read the Follyfoot series one day too — and her One Pair of Hands series as well! :D
Society Member

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Courtenay wrote:I haven't read any of Monica Dickens' books myself, but I remember when we were at school, my sister really enjoyed her "Messenger" series about a girl and a magical horse... Looks like the four books in the series are still available as e-books — here's the first one — though I'm sure they can be picked up in print second hand easily enough. Reading the blurbs makes me wish I had got around to reading them as a child — they sound really good!
Yes, they sound most unusual. I read quite a few horse and pony books as a child but I don't think any of them were by Monica Dickens and none of them involved a time travel element.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
mikki
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Find Outers and The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Julian, Fatty and Kit

Post by mikki »

Monica Dickens is one of my favourite authors of all time, I've read all the Follyfoot ones and also particularly enjoyed the set of four World's End books about a family living a hippyish type of lifestyle in the Seventies in a ramshackle house in the country with all their animals.

I also have a good selection of her adult novels - my favourites are Man Overboard and The Fancy.

I second Machupicchu14's recommendation of One Pair of Hands, its a wonderful read, and I liked it best out of that series of life experience titles. Others I've read were One Pair of Feet, and My Turn to Make the Tea.
Society Member