The Gauntlet by Ronald Welch

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Stephen

The Gauntlet by Ronald Welch

Post by Stephen »

I'm currently re-reading a childhood favourite of mine - The Gauntlet by the late Ronald Welch. It's basically about a boy staying with some friends in mid-Wales who gets transported back to the fourteenth century after trying on an old iron gauntlet he has found. He has turned into a member of the de Blois family who reside at Carreg Cennen Castle (a real place - http://www.castlewales.com/carreg.html) - and spends the next few weeks among the Medieval world of feasts, falconry, hunting, jousting and battle.

Obviously it's more of a fantasy than a typical Blyton, but it was written in 1951 so is something of a contemporary with a child's carefree view of the world at the time. And, as ridiculous as it may sound, it's made me think that I'd loved there to have been a similar book in which George goes back in time to Kirrin Castle's heyday. Or perhaps around the time to witness the ship being wrecked off the island!

Anyway, has anyone read this marvellous book?
Jools
Favourite book/series: The Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Julian

Post by Jools »

No Stephen. But I bet my daughter would be interested so will look out for it for her and let you know what she thinks. Then of course, I'll read it!
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: The Gauntlet by Ronald Welch

Post by pete9012S »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gauntlet-Ronal ... 610&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I liked the sound of this book and have just downloaded a kindle sample to see if I would like to buy the whole book:
The Gauntlet by Ronald Welch 1951

As Peter wanders around the ruined castle of Carreg Cennen he makes an amazing discovery - a rusted metal gauntlet. As he slips it on to his hand he is transported back to the fourteenth century, to a time when his Norman ancestors held the castle. Accepted as the eldest son of Sir Roger de Blois, Peter learns how to hawk, fight, and shoot a longbow. But, when a rebellion arises, it's up to Peter to escape from the besieged castle and fetch help. Ronald Welch is celebrated as one of the best writers of historical fiction for children and this thrilling story has been captivating readers for many years with its combination of fast-paced adventure and authentic historical detail. This edition also features the original black and white illustrations that bring the story and the era vividly to life.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

I read Mr. Felton's 'The Gauntlet' last century, and my personal library - listed online at LibraryThing under AurelArkad - still includes 6 of his titles, ranging in time from 1186-1192 (Knight Crusader) to 1755 1559 (Mohawk Valley). This headmaster-author was a painstakingly thorough craftsman, with a deep life-long interest in history, especially Welsh history, across the centuries.

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' 8)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Since starting this thread (a very long time ago!), I actually visit South Wales several times a year. Carreg Cennen is a bit far from where I stay, but now I've got a more powerful car, I'm seriously tempted to pop over one day soon!