RIP Jack Good (1931-2017)

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

RIP Jack Good (1931-2017)

Post by Eddie Muir »

Jack Good is not a name that will be familiar to everyone, but he was an important figure in the promotion of British rock ‘n’ roll in the late 1950s/early 1960s. The following is an excerpt from his Wikipedia entry:

Jack Good (7 August 1931 – 24 September 2017) was a British television producer, musical theatre producer, record producer, musician and painter of icons. As a television producer, he was responsible for the early popular music shows Six-Five Special, Oh Boy!, Wham! and Boy Meets Girls TV series, the first UK teenage music programmes. Good managed some of the UK's first rock and roll stars, including Tommy Steele, Marty Wilde, Billy Fury, Jess Conrad and Cliff Richard.

RIP Jack Good
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: RIP Jack Good (1931-2017)

Post by number 6 »

Sorry to hear of his passing, Eddie. I do know of him. My Dad mentioned his name on the odd occasion when I was growing up & explained who he was. Ive remembered his name ever since! To be honest, though, I actually thought he passed away some years ago! R.I.P. Jack. :cry:
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Jack Good hasn’t been in the news much in recent years, Number 6, and so it’s not really surprising that you thought he had passed away some years ago. In fact, I haven’t seen any reports of his death in any of the newspapers. I only learned of it from a friend of mine in the music business. For people of my generation, he was a very important figure where rock and roll was concerned. For instance, it was Jack who first brought Gene Vincent to Britain in December 1959 and was responsible for dressing him in the black leathers that became his trade mark.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Interesting stuff, Eddie! My Dad always talked to me about the folk in the music industry, so that's where I first picked up the name 'Jack Good'. He had a vast collection of records (inc those by Gene Vincent), but his favourite ones he'd listen to often were Lonnie Donegan. :D
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Lonnie Donegan was great, Number 6. I have seen many artists live on stage but, sadly, I never saw Lonnie. Chick went to see him at the Brighton Hippodrome in 1960: four years before I met her. I can’t think why I didn’t go that show. Our daughter, Lynne, also saw Lonnie perform many years later at the Glastonbury Festival. He appeared late in the evening and Lynne phoned us while he was singing so that we could hear him on the end of the telephone. Wonderful! :D

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

What a shame, Eddie! Seeing Lonnie live would've been the icing on the cake for you! I'm quite surprised Chick & your daughter haven't rubbed it in your face that they've seen him live & you haven't!! :lol:
I think I've mentioned it before, that my Dad sang on stage with Lonnie on a few occasions in the late 60's/early 70's. They were both mates for a short while, before they lost contact. I think it had something to do with Lonnie's busy schedule. Unfortunately, I never got to find out much about my Dad's singing exploits with Lonnie, as both my Parents separated & then divorced when I was 9. I've not seen him for 40 odd years! Water under the bridge, as they say. :?
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

It’s very interesting to hear about your Dad’s friendship with Lonnie Donegan, Number 6. What a great experience to have sung with the great man on stage. It’s sad that you are no longer in contact with your Dad. I’m sure he’d have some great stories to tell about the early days of rock and roll.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

The name was vaguely familiar to me but I had no idea he had done so much. What a life and legacy. RIP Jack Good.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Eddie Muir wrote: I’m sure he’d have some great stories to tell about the early days of rock and roll.
Absolutely, Eddie! Yes, I would've loved to have learnt all about my Dads times with Lonnie Donegan, but fate dealt a different hand. That's life, though, isn't it? I'm not bitter at all. Things happen for a reason. We live & learn! :D