Toys and Games

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Wolfgang »

Split from another topic.

I received two Civilization board games (completely different games) second hand and I am busy checking out if they're complete. Looks good so far.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: What Are You Doing Now?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I hope they're complete, Wolfgang. We've got the following Civilization game but we've only ever played it once as it takes ages.

http://hiewandboardgames.blogspot.co.uk ... shams.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

It looks as both games are complete Anita :-).
The one you showed I received as a German version, the other one I bought looks like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilizat ... oard_game). Both expansion sets were included.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Gosh - the second one looks even more complex! Those sorts of games are very rewarding once you get into them, although time-consuming!

Society Member
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Would you like to give it a try if you had the chance, Anita?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Re: Toys and Games

I'm always up for trying a new board game, though they're actually more fun once you've played them a few times and have really got to grips with the rules, options and possibilities.

My son went to a friend's house the other day where seven friends from school were gathering to play a board game called Diplomacy. I don't know whether you've come across it but it's a game of strategy set just before the beginning of the First World War. I'm not familiar with it and my son had never played it before either. He said it was excellent and he really enjoyed it, but it took the whole day. Also, he said the game wouldn't work as well with only a handful of players. Having 7 players is best, and 5 or 6 is okay too, but for 2 - 4 players the rules have to be adapted quite considerably.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Hope you enjoy your games Wolfgang. On the subject of long board games, we've got one called 'Fury of Dracula' which I played with some friends who were at university back in the 1980s. I think I've only played it once since though, as I seem to remember it took a long time to set up.

Another game I bought because after encountering it with uni friends was 'Mahjong' - I really like that, but somehow we never seem to get around to playing it any more. Still, it's nice when reading Agatha Christie books where it is mentioned, to actually know what they are talking about when using phrases such as 'Pung'. :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've never been into strategy games...and I dislike games that take too long to play - two or three hours is my maximum! For this reason I also dislike Monopoly - and I think I've only ever played it twice in my life.

We have a whole pile of games which I do like - too many to remember - Cluedo, Carcassonne, Brit Quiz, Game of Life, Game of the Year, Noteability, Mousetrap, Sorry, Treasure Hunt Game, 221b Baker Street game, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire game, Destination - Birmingham edition, The House That Jack Built, Coppit, Scrabble, Upwords, Misfits, perfection, Tour of London, Scooby Doo Haunted House Game, Sour Grapes, Evolutions (not to be confused with 'Evolution' - which is a strategy game!), Headache, Frustration, Enchanted Forest, Ludo and Snakes and Ladders...to name just a few!! :lol: :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Wow, I've never heard of half those games Rob.

I love Cludeo though. Misfits has been great for playing with our children when we wanted a fairly quick games, and we also have a Scooby Doo Haunted House Game, I don't know if it's the same one you have. Ours needs a small torch to light up some figures to see if they are the ones we need.

Snakes and Ladders is always good fun, but sometimes that can go on for ages if we keep landing on the last snake at the top. One of the best games we used to play when the children were little was Matching Pairs. We've had various versions over the years such as Thomas The Tank Engine, and Disney Princesses. We also have several sets of Top Trumps.
Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Well, I just got back from a board game convention a friend of mine organized.

The strategy games that are on the market today do normally only take 2 or 3 hours, especially when played by people who understand the rules (or at least who are used to strategy games).

Monopoly also should only take 2 hours if played by the rules in the box, and played by people who understand the object of the game. Many people keep adding extra rules (like the "free parking jackpot") that only lengthen the game.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Hope you enjoyed the board game convention, KEVP.

I'd forgotten about Perfection until you mentioned it, Rob. In junior school we were allowed to bring in toys and board games on the last day of each term, so I got to play Perfection a few times when someone brought it in. Another game I only ever played in school was Flying Hats.

I played Matching Pairs with my daughter and son when they were little too, Katharine. That reminds me that my children had a few board/card games from Orchard Games as youngsters, all of which were sturdily made and had colourful illustrations. Their favourites were Shopping List and Tummy Ache, though we also had Pop to the Shops and Slug in a Jug. Another favourite was a Postman Pat board game made by Falcon, called Postman Pat Race Game. All these games were given away to friends when my children grew out of them.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Once of the best quality games I have is The Enchanted Forest game made by Ravensburger. So sturdy and beautifully decorated too! I've had it for many years - and I'm sure I was influenced in buying it by Enid Blyton's Enchanted Wood!

'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I only played it once, but I never quite 'got' Cluedo. To be fair, we probably hadn't read the instructions properly because it seemed so easy to cheat! From what I remember, the murderer, weapon and location were on cards in a hidden sleeve, and it was up to the players to establish what these were. If you thought you had it, you checked out the hidden cards. If you were right, you'd won. But if you were wrong, you just put them back and carried on playing.

But if the instructions have just invited you to look at the answer, surely you just say it on your next turn!
:roll: :roll: :?: :?:
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Shame you didn't enjoy Cluedo Stephen. Whenever I've played it, if someone has a wrong guess then they are out of the game, although they still have to show any cards they might have to the rest of the players when asked.
Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

I don't think Stephen is playing it right. When you make an accusation (which is essentially identifying the hidden three cards in the sleeve), any player who holds one or more of those three cards must reveal it (or them) to prove the accusation is wrong. On no account do you look in the sleeve, nor is necessary for anyone to be out of the game.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member