60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1957 -

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: 60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1957 -

Post by John Pickup »

Rob Houghton wrote:That's one of Aunt Betty's better illustrations! :wink:
You could have fooled me, Rob. :D
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Well, when you look at it, the background is quite well filled in and both the characters depicted are drawn completely, apart of course from the hole at the back of Mrs Jones's skirt... :P :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Could it be an air vent?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

:shock: :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I'm going slightly off topic here, but when I saw the image from Five Get Into a Fix that Rob had added I thought it was about time that I started putting these Soper Magazine illustrations into the Cave. I went back to Chapter 1 and added a few, but then took a break and had a look at what lay ahead and I came to Puzzle for the Secret Seven. I remember Rob commenting at some stage that the illustration from a Secret Seven serial in the Magazine was far better than the ones in the book, so I took a further look. Some chapters had just one illustration and some didn't have any at all, but what struck me was that not only were none of the illustrations in the book, but that all the magazine ones were far better than anything in the book.

I felt that this was far too good for Burgess Sharrocks and wondered if it was possibly a different illustrator, but if it was him why did he take far more trouble with the Magazine illustrations than the book ones and why on earth weren't any of them used in the books! Any suggestions?
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I agree that the illustration looks far too good for one of Burgess Sharrocks but looking at my hardback copies of the Secret Seven the nearest likeness I can find is by comparing the illustration that Tony has highlighted with the one on page 73 of Secret Seven Adventure. Peter has that same lock of hair hanging down over his forehead in both drawings but Adventure was illustrated by George Brook who had long departed the scene when Puzzle was published.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks for posting the Secret Seven illustration, Tony - yes - I agree, and have long been puzzled by the fact that the Burgess Sharrocks illustrations seem much better in the magazines than in the books. I wonder why that was? Maybe he produced them one at a time for each issue of the magazine, and worked better that way? Its a pity they didn't reuse the illustrations from the magazines for the books!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I should have said that I am adding the illustrations to the book, not the individual magazines, so that eventually they can all be viewed in Further Illustrations together - along with the chapter headings showing exactly where the illustrations come from.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... Into+a+Fix" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still a work in progress!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks for doing that, Tony! Its interesting to see the differences and similarities! Although I have all the magazines for 'Fix', the illustrations look much better after you've scanned them and cleaned them up. Much appreciated.

I really like the illustration where George is stalking off with Timmy. What a shame that wasn't in the book version!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think that Aily in the last magazine picture where Dick is saying - "What's your name?" Looks just like gypsy girl Jo, in Fall Fall into Adventure.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Those further illustrations are great!
Thank you Tony.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It is interesting to compare the book illustrations with the magazine illustrations. Thanks, Tony!
Tony Summerfield wrote:...I came to Puzzle for the Secret Seven. I remember Rob commenting at some stage that the illustration from a Secret Seven serial in the Magazine was far better than the ones in the book, so I took a further look. Some chapters had just one illustration and some didn't have any at all, but what struck me was that not only were none of the illustrations in the book, but that all the magazine ones were far better than anything in the book.

I felt that this was far too good for Burgess Sharrocks and wondered if it was possibly a different illustrator, but if it was him why did he take far more trouble with the Magazine illustrations than the book ones and why on earth weren't any of them used in the books! Any suggestions?
That is strange! It certainly looks like Burgess Sharrocks' style (he has a distinctive way of drawing faces which I think we can see in the girl's face) but I've no idea why he would have taken more trouble with the magazine illustrations than the book ones. Magazines tend to be regarded as ephemeral so you'd think it would have been the other way round!

Maybe, as Rob suggested, the quantity of pictures required and the timescale of the magazine suited him better. Or maybe the pay from the magazine publisher (Evans Brothers) was better than the pay from the book publisher (Brockhampton Press) so he could justify spending more time on each magazine illustration!

I haven't had time to read Rob's write-up yet this week, or the scanned stories, but I look forward to doing so over the next few days.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Perhaps Burgess Sharrocks was irritated at having to illustrate the same stories twice and the magazine publishers wouldn't allow their illustrations to be used in the book. Good to see these extra pictures though, thank you.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I absolutely agree with Anita. Sharrocks' line drawing faces are very distinctive. Janet's face has the hallmark of Sharrocks' line drawings.

And it may be true that Sharrocks drew the illustrations in the magazines nicely so that he would be chosen to illustrate the books later. But when he got the job...
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!