Eric Leyland

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Eric Leyland

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

We've talked about Eric Leyland now and again when discussing various illustrators but I thought I'd give him a thread of his own.

About a year ago I borrowed and read three of his 'Max and Scrap' books (The Mystery of Pig's Nose, All Hands on Deck and Village Under the Water). They're mystery/adventure books aimed at about the same age group as Enid Blyton's Secret Seven series - great on characterisation and atmosphere, reasonably good on plot and attractively illustrated. I know two or three others here have read some of them too.

I'd heard that Eric Leyland was a versatile author who also wrote adventure stories for teenagers, Westerns and school stories (including ones about girls' schools for which he used the pseudonym Sylvia Little). However, it wasn't until yesterday that I realised he'd also written nature/information books. A little book caught my eye in a charity shop as it was an old-fashioned hardback with the title Seabirds, and seabirds have always interested me. I picked it up and was surprised to see that the author was Eric Leyland. It's a fairly short information book, written in the form of a story (rather like Enid Blyton's stories in which children learn about nature with Uncle Nat or Uncle Merry, etc., though in this case the children learn only about seabirds). It takes place on the West coast of Scotland in May and features children recovering from measles, puffins (and lots of other birds, of course), a motor-boat and an island. A great companion to The Sea of Adventure! There's even a chapter on the Great Auk! It's part of the 'Truth in a Tale' series published by Edmund Ward, some of the other titles in the series being written by Sylvia Little! My book says 'First Edition, 1956' but the dustwrapper is in poor condition. Never mind, as it has lovely internal illustrations by John T. Kenney who illustrated a number of Ladybird books. As it was only 50p, I couldn't resist taking it home with me!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Eric Leyland

Post by John Pickup »

I've got several adventure and mystery books by Eric Leyland and a couple by him writing as Sylvia Little. Mystery At Mardale is one of my favourites. I believe there are about eight Max and Scrap books, none of which I've read-yet. Quite a lot of his books can be found on ebay for reasonable prices.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

The only one I have is The Mystery of Pig's Nose. I quite enjoyed it - although I felt it was a little short - not in length, but in the fact that the mystery only really happened over one or two days at most. I tend to prefer mysteries that take place over a week or more. But well written and very readable even so!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I have been collecting his books. He has written using two pseudonyms Elizabeth Tarrant(I found it out three days ago) and Sylvia Little.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

That's interesting. Eric Leyland appears to have had quite a few pseudonyms, Nesta Grant being another:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2 ... ic_Leyland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

sixret wrote:I have been collecting his books. He has written using two pseudonyms Elizabeth Tarrant(I found it out three days ago) and Sylvia Little.
that's interesting - I didn't realise that. :-) I have 'The Amazing Affair At Highlands' by Elizabeth Tarrant , but didn't realise it was actually written by Eric Leyland! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I received a personal e-mail from Les, the manager of World of Rare Books asking me if I was interested in buying the most obscure, scarce and rare book that I have known, from my experience. Even more scarce than Mystery At Styles by Agatha Christie!

Dear xxxxx,

I hope all is well with you?

I have noticed from your recent orders that you are a keen purchaser of children's books and in your latest order you bought many titles by Eric Leyland.

We have just had a copy of the extremely rare, Flame of the Sierras by Eric Leyland, come in to our office. There is only one other copy available in the market place and as a loyal and regular customer, wondered if this is something you would be interested in buying before we put it on to our website. This copy is a first edition from 1949 but without the dustjacket.

Please let me know if you would be interested in making an offer for this book before we take it to market.

KInd Regards,

Les Phipps
Business Development Manager, World of Rare Books
Tel: 07973 873452
09:00-17:00 (GMT) Mon-Fri

WORLD OF RARE BOOKS LIMITED
UNIT 4
HOLM OAK
MARTLETS WAY
GORING-BY-SEA
WORTHING
WEST SUSSEX
BN12 4QY
Company No. 07465049
VAT no: 127 6707 03
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

There are 3 more titles in Highlands series, Rob.

sixret

Post by sixret »

I had totally forgotten Nesta Grant, Anita. He had only written 3 books under this pseudonym.

Just bought all three of them last week!

Sent: 07 August 2017 16:26
To: ROWENA CHILDS
Subject: AbeBooks Customer Inquiry: Title:The Strange Affair At Abbot's

AbeBooks has received the following inquiry.

The following inquiry was provided by this customer: Hello Gary & Rowena,

I would like to buy this book. Please send me the revised invoice to my paypal account i.e. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will make the payment immediately.

Best wishes,
xxxxx

Buyer Information:
Name: xxxxx
Email: xxxxx@gmail.com

Title: The Strange Affair At Abbot's
Author: Nesta Grant
Publisher: Burke
Book ID: QP-9HKU-4782
Price: GBP 4.5
Description: Hardback published by Burke 1959, foxing to fep and page edges, VG in VG Dustwrapper

Please respond to the buyer's inquiry within two business days.
Thank you,
Your AbeBooks Team

Hi xxxxx,

The cost of airmail shipping for this book to Malaysia will be £8.05, making a total of £15.55. I will send you a PayPal request for this amount and we will get the book in the post to you as soon as we can once payment has cleared.

Very best wishes

Catrin
at Ripping Yarns

On 07/08/2017 15:33, AbeBooks wrote:
AbeBooks has received the following inquiry.

The following inquiry was provided by this customer: Dear Catrin,

I would like to buy this book. Is it possible for you to post it using standard airmail for £7.50 to Malaysia, please? If yes, please send me the revised invoice of £15 to my paypal account i.e. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will make the payment immediately.

Best wishes,
xxxxx

Buyer Information:
Name: xxxxx
Email: xxxxx@gmail.com

Title: Jill - Riding Mistress
Author: GRANT, Nesta
Publisher: Ward Lock and Co.
Book ID: 51791
Price: GBP 7.5
Description: Mustard yellow boards, corners and spine bumped. Small white mark to front board. Previous owner's name neatly to FFEP. 153pp. All tight. Size: 7 x 5 Inches

Please respond to the buyer's inquiry within two business days.
Thank you,
Your AbeBooks Team

--
Ripping Yarns Bookshop
14 Brookfield Park
London, NW5 1ER
only open by appointment
0207 485 8219

On The Run by Nesta Grant. I had bought the only copy available in online market.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362008289651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by sixret on 14 Aug 2017, 20:57, edited 2 times in total.

sixret

Post by sixret »

A short study of his books:

http://www.booksmonthly.co.uk/jmackb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Interestingly, as Elizabeth Tarrant he wrote 'The Amazing Affair At Highlands' and as Nesta Grant he wrote 'The Strange Affair At Abbot's' !
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Like you, I am a huge fan of birds, Anita. Although I prefer birds in jungle. I have been collecting books about birds too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Second-Book ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My recent purchase.

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Ah yes - I've got the three 'British Birds and Their Nests' titles (Ladybird). Beautiful books. I love watching birds but I don't sit for hours in a hide or anything - I just take long walks and stand still and observe whenever I see or hear signs of birdlife.

Society Member