60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1957 -

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: 60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1957 -

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I thought of 'April in Paris' for the other song too, Rob.

I agree that the Igor Mikhailusenko who wrote to Enid Blyton might well have been the poet.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's that time of the month again!! The latest Enid Blyton Magazine has arrived -

The cover shows an illustration from the first uncollected short story, Where Are You, Waffles? illustrated by Anne Read - one of my favourite EB illustrators. She always gives her illustrations such great detail, as you can see, if you follow the link and read the story.

This is a good story, but somewhat predictable, and surely aimed at younger children. In fact, I think the more recent magazines are showing a slight dip in quality - as if Enid's dementia is slowly starting to show. The stories are still well written, and of course she was still to write some brilliant books and stories, but somehow, especially evident with this issue, the stories seem a little more simple.

Enids editorial Letter is good as always, although she does go on about birds a bit too much for my liking! Yes, I love watching the birds on our seed feeders and bird table, but its always more fun to watch them than read about them, in my opinion! I would have liked to have heard more about the Famous Five film, but I was disappointed this issue.

Follow the link below to read Enid's letter. Enid does mention watching Peter Scott on Television, when he shows his 'marvellous photographs of birds'. Interesting to hear of Enid watching TV somehow!

Next we have The Birthday Kitten - chapter 4. I'm sure many have already read this story, but if you haven't, then I do recommend it, as its a well-written tale, even if it is rather short and not greatly exciting. It does have its moments of drama though.

Our Letter Page contains some interesting letters. As always Enid chooses letters from children who have earned money for charity with sales etc. Its amazing to think of so many children, encouraged and inspired by Enid Blyton, to do something to help those less fortunate. There are also letters about birds - putting out a bag of hairs from some pet ponies, so that the birds can make them to make nests. I was interested to read that after only three days all the contents of the bag had been taken by the birds! I tried a bag, filled with fluff and moss and all the things Enid recommended...but no birds even looked at it! 8)

Following on from the letters is one of my favourite stories of this issue - and, believe it or not, its a Noddy story. Noddy and Mr. Thomas Cat I felt it was well written and genuinely made you want to read on - unusual for a Noddy story, as it kept the reader guessing. Of course, when I got to the end, I realised the denouement was actually quite obvious, but nevertheless it was an enjoyable Noddy story. You can read it by following the link below.

Puzzle Page

We start with rather a simple one...!
Sunbeams Puzzle -

What am I?

I'm not channels One or Nine
I'm nothing to do with TV
But I'm a channel all the same
From Dover to Calais - that's me!

Next - the Famous Five Puzzle -

There is something green hidden in each of the sentences below -

a) Put the jam in the jar
b) I'd like to live here

Lastly - A Puzzle For My Busy Bees -

Take an animal with four letters away from the group of letters below and leave another animal with seven letters -

L G I I R O A F N F E

Rumble and Chuff continues with the next thrilling episode! So Rumble and Chuff take the little girl who is lost in their train and take her home - but before that, they say a spell to make the train bigger, so that the little girl can ride in it...and they begin on their journey!

Next - the final instalment of Secret Seven Mystery. This was always one of my favourite Secret Seven books as a child. I wonder if I would have enjoyed it just as much reading it as a serial?

The next short story is one that was later republished in Enid Blyton's Bedtime Annual 1980, which is probably where I first read it. Stamp-About and the Stick follows the familiar story line of a characters 'borrowing' (or taking!) an item they find and know they shouldn't take, which then starts singing/talking/telling people the truth when the main character lies or cheats. Its a satisfying story, but I'm sure we've all read similar stories. The one I remember most was (I think) about a singing kettle...

In Our News-sheet Enid tells us something interesting about some Noddy toys she's had produced - 'big soft Noddy toys whose arms, legs and body can be bent easily in any direction - so that Noddy can run,
walk, kneel, sit and so on. Any child playing with this toy has to use his hands to bend it about, and you can guess that any little spastic whose hands are uncontrolled will want to use them to play with this soft, bendy, life-like Noddy - and so may learn to control his hands in an enjoyable way!

Enid also has something interesting to say about children's books, I thought - Although modern children prefer to read modern books, there are plenty of old books that are very interesting indeed. You will see two on page 35. These are by an author who lived some time ago, Mrs Molesworth, and were much loved by the children of her day. I am sure you will like them too! Just in case anyone is wondering, the books Enid recommends are 'The Tapestry Room' and 'The Ruby Ring'.

Right, I'm off to buy one of the instruments advertised in the magazine - The USA Skiffle Calypso and Rock and Roll Uke - for just 22 shillings and 6d!

Here's the link to the stories in The Cave - many thanks again to Tony -http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=913

See you next time! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Great review Rob.I had to check out Mrs Molesworth - someone surely even before Tony's time!

Rob said:

These are by an author who lived some time ago, Mrs Molesworth, and were much loved by the children of her day. I am sure you will like them too! Just in case anyone is wondering, the books Enid recommends are 'The Tapestry Room' and 'The Ruby Ring'.

Books by Molesworth, Mrs.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/ ... =downloads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Great stuff, thanks again Tony and Rob. I haven't read the stories yet but I enjoyed the editorial letter. I wonder if Sugar was Enid's last cat? And did she have any dogs at this time? Anyway I enjoy hearing about the birds visiting Enid's pond. Interesting that she should recommend the books of Mrs Molesworth, perhaps Enid read them as a child. I've read a couple, not the ones mentioned but The Cuckoo Clock and The Carved Lions, they were rather good I thought. I'll see if I can download The Tapestry Room and The Ruby Ring to my e-reader.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Glad you enjoyed it - thanks folks. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Rob and Tony. I enjoy it when Enid talks about the birds in her garden. She really brings the scene to life. Any children who had read The Island of Adventure would have no need to look up "ornithologist" in the dictionary!

Sorry to hear that the birds ignored your bag of fluff and moss, Rob!
Rob Houghton wrote:This ['Where Are You, Woffles?'] is a good story, but somewhat predictable, and surely aimed at younger children.
'Where Are You, Woffles?' does seem to be aimed at younger children but I'm sure I'd have been absorbed by it as a youngster, though I'd have found parts of it unsettling. I don't think I'd have felt too sure about how things were going to turn out in the end because it's customary in Enid Blyton stories for characters to have to pay for their forgetfulness or carelessness.
Rob Houghton wrote:Following on from the letters is one of my favourite stories of this issue - and, believe it or not, its a Noddy story. Noddy and Mr. Thomas Cat I felt it was well written and genuinely made you want to read on - unusual for a Noddy story, as it kept the reader guessing. Of course, when I got to the end, I realised the denouement was actually quite obvious, but nevertheless it was an enjoyable Noddy story.
Mr. Thomas Cat is an interesting character and I like it when Noddy is on a mission and takes the initiative. Much better than the stories in which he mopes and feels sorry for himself! A predictable ending though!
Rob Houghton wrote:Stamp-About and the Stick follows the familiar story line of a characters 'borrowing' (or taking!) an item they find and know they shouldn't take, which then starts singing/talking/telling people the truth when the main character lies or cheats. Its a satisfying story, but I'm sure we've all read similar stories. The one I remember most was (I think) about a singing kettle...
I used to love those kinds of tales but was always slightly alarmed when Enid hinted at the end that the object might one day come to me if I wasn't careful!
Rob Houghton wrote:In Our News-sheet Enid tells us something interesting about some Noddy toys she's had produced - 'big soft Noddy toys whose arms, legs and body can be bent easily in any direction - so that Noddy can run, walk, kneel, sit and so on.
A Noddy that we can enjoy contorting? Let me at it! :twisted:

Like Kate, I've read two Mrs. Molesworth books - though not the ones mentioned by Enid Blyton. I've read Christmas-tree Land and The Cuckoo Clock. Both were pretty good fantasy stories, though not quite on the level of Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree series.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great stuff, as always. Thank you Rob and Tony. Your efforts are much appreciated. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:In Our News-sheet Enid tells us something interesting about some Noddy toys she's had produced - 'big soft Noddy toys whose arms, legs and body can be bent easily in any direction - so that Noddy can run, walk, kneel, sit and so on.
A Noddy that we can enjoy contorting? Let me at it! :twisted:
:shock: I could see that one coming... :wink: Haven't had time to read the stories myself yet, but thanks so much as always, Rob and Tony, for posting them. I look forward to reading them and posting some thoughts when I can.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Where Are You, Woffles was rather spoilt by having a picture of the dog and rabbit together in the kennel before we learnt what had happened.
I don't mind reading about the birds, I like them myself. This interest was stimulated by Jack in the Adventure books as I started taking note of different birds after reading of Jack's enthusiasm for them.
Thanks to Rob and Tony for the review and link.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Another fortnight has passed, and so here's another issue of Enid Blyton's Magazine!

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=914

Its another great issue, but somehow a little more 'thin' than usual. The Secret Seven serial has finished, there's no new Famous Five serial yet, and so it is made up of short stories, and a Noddy story and the only serial is The Birthday Kitten - which isn't exactly gripping.

The cover shows an illustration from the uncollected short story What Happened After School. Its a really enjoyable story about a bully and how the two main children manage to trick him and avoid being bullied. I really like it - it has a great atmosphere - and is a very cosy and gentle tale. The illustrations are also superb - by an uncredited artist.

Enid Blytons editorial Letter tells us all about her fish and the pond and the birds that visit it. She is writing outside a lot now as the weather is so good. She tells how the goldfish in her pond are now all hatched out from their eggs and are slowly turning gold. I didn't realise that baby goldfish weren't gold - but apparently when they're born they're just grey - harder for the visiting heron to spot!

Enid also tells us about her next Magazine Annual - which is currently being printed. This was to sadly be the last Magazine Annual. I have them all with dust jackets and they are lovely books, crammed full of great stories and puzzles etc, and also some great board games!

After the first story, What Happened After School, we have Our Letter Page with three interesting letters from Blyton readers. One tells of a teddy bear a little girl saved up for and sends to Enid for the children in her Home. Enid is very pleased, calling it a magnificent teddy bear! She tells us how fond the children in the little Children's Home are...but I wonder if there were ever any 'scraps' over who cuddled it most or took it to bed!? Another little girl called Angela Rummins tells how she has a baby cuckoo visiting her garden, with its 'mother' - a starling. This must be very rare, as I have certainly never been lucky enough to see a cuckoo being fed by its foster-mother!

The last letter tells of how Pauline Bowey (a Famous Five Club member) did some dusting and tied the duster around her head, then spent ages searching for the duster when she wanted to use it. Pauline reminds Enid that she wrote a story about this in a magazine, called 'Where's That Duster?' - and Enid thinks Pauline's letter is very amusing...but I must be a real cynic, because I can't help wondering if it really happened, or if Pauline just hit on a good subject for a letter! ;-)

Puzzle Page follows. Here are this weeks puzzles -

Sunbeams Puzzle -

Can you find the countries hidden in the following sentences?

a) Please can Ada come to the party?
b) Those eggs will hatch in a minute

Famous Five Puzzle -

"Whoever is this letter for?" asked the postman as he looked at the letter on the top of the pile. This is how it was addressed -

TTILEL DONYD
SOHEU - ROF - NEO
YANTLDO GEIVLAL

The postman soon found out who the letter was addressed to. Can you?

Busy Bee's Puzzle -

Can you find the name of a fish hidden in the following sentence?

"Did you like her ring, Mary?"

Following on from this is a Noddy story After The Party. No - it's not about Noddy walking home drunk, falling into the fish pond and then having a massive hangover - its a typical Noddy story where Noddy behaves very stupidly, and this time, Tessie Bear isn't much better! This is the sort of Noddy story that I find tiresome, as you know the outcome almost from the beginning. Its a tale that must have sufficed for a Noddy story time and again!

Rumble and Chuff continues with another four picture-strip frames, telling us how Chuff makes himself bigger so he can drive the train (Rumble) which was made bigger in the last episode, so he can take the little girl they found lost in a previous episode, back to her garden. Thankfully they arrive safely at the garden, and then are invited to tea in the summerhouse...

The Teddy Bear's Tale is a story that was printed in Enid Blyton's Bedtime Annual 1971 and can be read there if you have a copy. Its a story that reminds me a bit of an Amelia Jane story, but this time the naughty doll is replaced by a naughty Imp. Its an entertaining story for younger children - I quite enjoyed it - but nothing exceptional. Just an amusing diversion!

The Birthday Kitten follows this (after an advert again about being a 'Cadbury Taster' and also the Painting Competition - which someone has painted very neatly in my copy but never actually sent. The Birthday Kitten is now on chapter 5 - "Please tell us what to do." As I said previously, I find it mildly intriguing that this book is the only EB book I know of where every chapter heading is a sentence of speech! I wonder if there are any other Enid Blyton books that employ this technique? I don't think there are.

Considering that The Birthday Kitten is aimed at younger children, and so is the Teddy Bear story, and the Noddy story, slightly older children must have been wondering why they weren't being catered for!

To end this issue, there's an interesting page of adverts - including an offer for the Free SPRATT'S BADGE for dog owners! Also, an air bed for 16 shillings, a waterproof tent for 34 shillings and 9d and a radio for 20 shillings. One thing I always wanted as a child and never got was a Real Microscope! - at only 7 shillings and 6d that sounds like a real bargain! Wonder if it worked?!

Until next time - when we will begin the first chapter of the new Famous Five serial - Five Get Into A Fix - cheerio! ! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Another great review, Rob. I liked the story What Happened After School, thanks to Tony for the link.
I've been looking at the magazine annuals on ebay recently debating whether to collect them. I quite like the wrappers.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks as always, Rob and Tony. That Noddy story was a bit tiresome (now I'm sounding like Anita! :wink: ), but What Happened After School! was a good one. Well, in a way I prefer Enid's stories where bullies get their comeuppances more directly — "Mrs Shouty" certainly served to ward Derek off, but we're not really told that he was taught a lesson and became a better person. It's more satisfying somehow when Enid's bullies get a nasty shock in return that makes them genuinely try to be better. But it was still an enjoyable story and quite heartwarming in the way two children learn not to judge an apparently scary elderly lady too harshly and eventually they become family to each other.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

John Pickup wrote:Another great review, Rob. I liked the story What Happened After School, thanks to Tony for the link.
I've been looking at the magazine annuals on ebay recently debating whether to collect them. I quite like the wrappers.
Well worth collecting them all, John!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Rob - and Tony!

I also like the cosy atmosphere and the "family" element of 'What Happened After School'. In giving Mrs. Willis a lovely garden, a goldfish pond and a cat, Enid Blyton was probably recalling how much children loved to see her own goldfish ponds and her cats and other pets when they came to the house. It's interesting to hear about her own ponds in her editorial letter.

The Noddy story, 'After the Party', certainly isn't one of Enid's best. It seems that people (or toys!) can only be recognised by their hat and not by their size, figure, voice, etc!
Rob Houghton wrote:...we have Our Letter Page with three interesting letters from Blyton readers. One tells of a teddy bear a little girl saved up for and sends to Enid for the children in her Home. Enid is very pleased, calling it a magnificent teddy bear! She tells us how fond the children in the little Children's Home are...but I wonder if there were ever any 'scraps' over who cuddled it most or took it to bed!? Another little girl called Angela Rummins tells how she has a baby cuckoo visiting her garden, with its 'mother' - a starling. This must be very rare, as I have certainly never been lucky enough to see a cuckoo being fed by its foster-mother!

The last letter tells of how Pauline Bowey (a Famous Five Club member) did some dusting and tied the duster around her head, then spent ages searching for the duster when she wanted to use it. Pauline reminds Enid that she wrote a story about this in a magazine, called 'Where's That Duster?' - and Enid thinks Pauline's letter is very amusing...but I must be a real cynic, because I can't help wondering if it really happened, or if Pauline just hit on a good subject for a letter! ;-)
Fascinating stuff. I suppose the people who ran the children's home could have put donated toys to one side until they had enough to give the children a toy each.
Rob Houghton wrote:To end this issue, there's an interesting page of adverts - including an offer for the Free SPRATT'S BADGE for dog owners! Also, an air bed for 16 shillings, a waterproof tent for 34 shillings and 9d and a radio for 20 shillings. One thing I always wanted as a child and never got was a Real Microscope! - at only 7 shillings and 6d that sounds like a real bargain! Wonder if it worked?!
I always wanted a microscope too, but never got one. It sounds much more exciting than the air bed which is more than twice the price!

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I very much look forward to Rob's review every fortnight and thanks to Tony for letting us read the stories. I like the first story very much and I'm even warming to Noddy too. I have the four Magazine Annuals but only the second with a dustjacket, still I can always see the gorgeous cover art in the Cave.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member