Time for Tea

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Favourite brand of tea?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've drunk tea daily all my life (well, from the age of four or so) but I never liked coffee until I was in my thirties. I'm the other way round to you, Rob - I quite like a drink of coffee these days and will usually make myself one every day, but I don't like coffee-flavoured things like coffee cream chocolates or coffee cake.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Same with Anita. I drink coffee everyday but I dislike coffee cake or any coffee-flavoured things. When is the time of day you usually drink your coffee, Anita?
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Usually at breakfast.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Courtenay wrote:Just trying a flavour I hadn't seen before — Twinings China Rose (one of those varieties that's a bit more posh (and expensive) than their "ordinary" teas). Quite a light tea with a delicate flavour and a subtle rose aroma... nice. 8) Have you ever tried it, Floragord? :D
I haven't tried the China Rose, but probably in the same general taste zone, got a fetching caddy of Twinings Royal Wedding Commemorative Blend, "a delicate blend of white tea,the flavour of bergamot and rose petals" - it is delicious but astonishingly dry, worth a glass of water alongside to rehydrate :wink: . I must have a look for the China Rose - alas the nearest Waitrose is at Y Fenni so I'll have to stop on the way to Hay to restock my "tea wardrobe"...
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Haven't checked whether or not China Rose tea is available at Waitrose around here — I bought it at Sainsbury's. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Waitrose is the place where Hyacinth would shop - certainly not Sainsbury's!! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

So you see, this is not the Bouquet Residence after all. :P
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
floragord

Post by floragord »

Courtenay wrote:Haven't checked whether or not China Rose tea is available at Waitrose around here — I bought it at Sainsbury's. :wink:
Alas and alack, not even a Sainsburys, in our fresh fields and pastures new - we've recently joined the National Botanic Gardens of Wales, perhaps they could experiment with growing various teas in their marvellous biodome and selling it to members?, or would that be a frivolous use of research funds :?
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I usually use tea bags to make my tea if I'm in the mood of some. It usually says you have to keep it so many minutes in the hot water to have a secure "Food". I wonder what happens if I keep the bags (much) longer in the water than the adviced time frame they give. Are there ingredients that will dissolve harder than the desired ones but will eventually and are harmful? Or are there other reasons?
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Do you mean will the teabag dissolve like a biscuit if you leave it in the cup too long? If so, no it won't, I've got some horribly weak teabags at the moment that I leave in the cup until I've finished it and their always still intact at the end. Maybe if it was left an hour or more it wouldn't be but if you left it that long the tea will be cold and only fit for throwing anyway :P .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

No, I didn't mean that the bag dissolves. Actually I like cold tea in summer, my mother used to make us a mixture of mint tea, black tea, lemon juice and sugar which tasted wonderful. Unfortunately she no longer has the recipe so I had to try my own one consisting of black tea, mint tea and additionally ginger tea. While I have to remove the black tea pretty soon (after about 4 minutes) I don't mind keeping the other ones longer in it.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I've been wishing for a while that I could find one of my favourite herbal teas, rosehip and hibiscus, in the UK — it doesn't seem to be common here and I haven't found anything like it in any of the major supermarkets. (I used to buy an American brand, Red Zinger, back in Australia, which has a few other herbal ingredients as well as hibiscus and rosehip but still tastes really good — brilliant colour, too. :D ) Probably it was the reference to rosehips in the uncollected Blyton short story in this week's featured page from Teacher's World that made me think of herbal teas again... see, we CAN relate it back to Enid and promote Tony's excellent work in the Cave even while talking about tea. :twisted:

Anyway, I decided to do an online search for rosehip and hibiscus tea and found there's actually a local firm — The Kent & Sussex Tea and Coffee Co., no less — that sells rosehip and hibiscus teabags at a very reasonable price and with good reviews. :D It looks like they only sell online or from their factory shop in Pluckley (between Maidstone and Ashford, here in Kent but not that close to me), but I might have to try them some time.
Society Member

pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I'll drink to that! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks, Pete. 8)
Society Member

floragord

Post by floragord »

I was amused to read Diamine, who produce fountain pen ink, have a new range called
Earl Grey, available in 30ml and 80ml sizes - gives a whole new flavour to letter-writing :D