60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1957 -

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Moonraker

Re: 60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1957 -

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Moonraker wrote: Maybe I should put a link to your EB Magazine thread, too, Rob!
Rob Houghton wrote:I just love teasing and making fun of Nigel - but he should know by now that this is my way, and I enjoy the banter between us!
You'll have to stop the banter now then, Rob, and start licking his boots.
Followers of the Society on Facebook and Twitter will see that I have 'plugged' Rob's thread - in spite of my boots still being dry. :D
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I came across this:
In 1953, children’s author Enid Blyton visited Dorton House to judge the school’s Braille reading competition.
In January 2017, RSBC merged with the Royal London Society for Blind People (RLSB). Although we are now called RSBC, there may be some references to RLSB in the following article.
In 1953, children’s author Enid Blyton visited Dorton House to judge the school’s Braille reading competition.

She wrote a letter about for her fans and the readers of Enid Blyton magazine – this particular edition was published 60 years ago today – an extract of which is published below!

Green Hedges

Dear boys and girls,

I have some really interesting news for you this time – news which will especially interest our Coronation competition prize-winner Janet Miller. You will remember that she won 30 guineas, and asked me to keep 10 guineas to give a party to blind children.

As I was going to judge the Braille-reading at Dorton House School for Blind Children, I thought it would be a marvellous idea to spend Janet’s 10 guineas on a wonderful tea for all the children there, after the judging had taken place.

I went to Dorton House on fine sunny afternoon. It is a most beautiful place, set in the heart of the country in Bucks. The main hall was full of children, and althought I was delighted to see them, not one of them could see me, but all merry, listening faces were turned towards me as I came in.

I listened to the Braille reading by four groups of children, from under 10s, to over 16s. But how can they read, if they cannot see?

Blind children read through the sensitive tips of their fingers – the words are not letters but are raised dots. They run their fingers along these dots, and read from them.

Children, those boys and girls were marvellous readers, even the ones under 10. Simply marvellous. I could hardly believe it. There was one nine-year-old who read through her fingers as quickly as I could, and with as much expression and understanding as any really good-sighted reader.

I only wish you could have been there with me. we would have looked at one another and said “How truly wonderful!”

Well, after the reading I told them a story, and then we had tea. I went into the rooms where the children were having theirs, and what a wonderful tea they were having. Just the kind you like – all kinds of sandwiches, buns, cakes, biscuits, jelly, ice-creams – and heaps of crackers of course! They were so happy and merry, so pleased to hear my voice when I spoke, and altogether it was a lovely afternoon for all of us.

Janet Miller, I hope you are reading this. It was your generous gift and kind heart that helped to make that afternoon a memorable one for those boys and girls.

All the children there had heard about you, and they sent their love and warm thanks. I am proud that our magazine has so many readers like you – warm of heart and quick to help.

…. True stories can be just as interesting as made up ones, can’t they?

Love to you all, from

Enid Blyton
http://www.rsbc.org.uk/history/a-letter ... id-blyton/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by pete9012S on 27 Feb 2017, 19:10, edited 2 times in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Wonderful Pete. Thanks for posting.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks for posting that, Pete - and thanks also for plugging my thread, Nigel! :-D Much appreciated! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I didn't much care for the story A Rush About Afternoon as none of the children seemed to have any redeeming qualities. Even the postman was surly and unhelpful. I do like Alice Bush's illustrations though.
The blackbirds are very busy around here as well. As Enid says in her editorial, as the weather has been quite mild this year, it is possible that some birds will already be sitting on eggs.
Another great review, Rob. Thanks to you and Tony.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks John! Yes - as I said earlier, A Rush About Afternoon must be one of the few EB stories I've read where no character seems to have any good qualities at all! It struck me that all the children were cross, selfish and greedy! I'd have stuck them all on a far-away island in The Sea Of Adventure and wouldn't have bothered to rescue them!! :twisted:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for posting the letter, Pete. How lovely that Enid Blyton's visit to Dorton House is mentioned on the RSBC website.

It's good to hear of the plugging, Nigel!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: It's good to hear of the plugging, Nigel!
Makes me sound like a plumber!
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

The new write up is coming today?
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=906

It's that time again, to take a look at what was happening in Enid Blyton's Magazine for this coming fortnight sixty years ago - March 13 - 26 1957. :-)

As always, follow the link to read the two uncollected short stories, and also Enid's Editorial, which Tony has kindly loaded into place in The Cave. :-D

The cover illustration this issue comes from the first uncollected short story, Mr Twiddle's Ladder. Whenever I read a Mr Twiddle story, I realise how good they are. I'm not sure if I've ever read them all, despite having all the Dean editions, as well as a couple of original editions and some other stories in the Enid Blyton's Magazine annuals. They're always amusing, though often predictable, a bit like The Three Golliwogs stories. I do enjoy the feel of these stories though, giving us a glimpse into a world that was simpler and very homely - how things were in the past - which always shines through in these tales. As a character, I find Mr Twiddle a bit aggravating - how does his wife put up with him?! You can read this uncollected short story, with lovely illustrations by Hilda McGavin, by following the link.

In her Editorial this issue, Enid tells us about penpals and I had to smile a bit because she comes across as very indignant and school-teacherly - telling her readers I have been overwhelmed with letters from magazine readers who want American pen-friends, or pen friends from countries such as Germany or France. Well, unless you can understand foreign languages it is no use trying to get foreign pen-friends for you! It made me smile because it almost seems that Enid is becoming a victim of her own success! She suggested people write asking to be paired with pen-friends, and one gets the impression she's now regretting it because of all the requests she's received! I guess it also shows us just how busy Enid was kept with jobs like this - no wonder, really, that she finally gave up the Magazine altogether in 1959.

The other half of teh Editorial offers us an interesting story about some children in New Zealand who stumbled upon a real-life adventure involving thieves - although sadly there isn't any outcome to tie it all up. You can read it for yourself by following the link. :-D

Following on from Mr Twiddle's Ladder we have this fortnight's Puzzle Page - entertaining as always. here's a good one for the Sunbeam club -

There were four donkeys in a race. Neddy finished in front of laddy; Laddy finished behind Roddy; Roddy finished behind Neddy; Biddy finished in front of Neddy.

In which order did they finish?

The Famous Five Puzzle -

There is something green hidden in each of the sentences below. Can you find them all?

1. There is somebody in the street.
2. "Can you stop easily?"
3. "Make me a down payment please"

The next short story is Mr Stamp-About Goes Shopping my favourite story in this issue. If you don't have this particular EB Magazine, you might find the story in The Three Strange Travellers and Other Stories (Award, 2000) It's a really entertaining and amusing story. In fact, I love all the stories about Mr Stamp-About and its a shame they weren't ever collected into one volume. I think there are quite a few. Its a good comeuppance story - Mr Stamp-About certainly gets what he deserves by the end! Great illustrations too - pity they are uncredited.

Following on from this, we have an advert for some children's books not written by Enid Blyton, which Enid actually plugs in her 'News sheet' at the end of the magazine. Interesting to see she is keen for readers to try other books! These are The Golden Shore - by Elinor Lyon, The Nameless Boat - by M Pardoe, The Golden Stallion's Victory - by Rutherford G Montgomery and Ballet For Drina by Jean Estoril I've never read any of them, I must admit!

In Noddy Went Too Fast! this time around, Noddy is very apologetic to Mr Tinny, who he now realises wasn't trying to steal his house or business, but was actually helping him. Noddy invites Mr Tinny to stay the night at his house - something I'm sure would be frowned upon in this day and age!! :shock: The story concludes in the next issue - which I'm sure Anita will be pleased about! Its replaced by a strip story about Rumble and Chuff the issue after - so no more Noddy for a while at least!!

Our Letters Page is next - with three entertaining letters from children all around the world. One is from a little girl called Senta Mary Stevens - what an unusual name - who is eight years old and tells us of the birds that visit her garden - a magpie and jay, a rook and green finch and a tree sparrow and house sparrow. There are chaffinches, starlings, who come down in a flash, pied wagtail and grey wagtail, tree creeper and nuthatch, great-tit, coal-tit, blue-tit and thrush. Blackbird, hedge sparrow, wren and robin' I didn't even know there was a tree sparrow and hedge sparrow - I thought they were all hedge sparrows! ;-)

Another letter describes how Helen Janovsky's dog is a member of The Enid Blyton Magazine - with his own badge, fixed to his basket, and the third letter suggests making a plant pot out of what Margaret Martin calls a really useless gramophone record' which you heat in the oven until its soft, then pull up the sides to make a bowl! I wonder how well this would work? I have a few old 78's but would these really melt in the oven enough to be pliable? Or maybe it was a long player or 45rpm which were quite new in 1957...

Following on from the letters, we have the third story - again, available to read in The Cave - The Little Highwayman. It's an entertaining enough story, but it got me a bit annoyed in a way, as its a perfect example of typical EB at her worst - when she blames a child for being bullied or robbed rather than placing the blame on the bully or thief! Also, Tim's family must be exceptionally lazy and have plenty of money to spare. Even his mother would rather her son be 'mugged' for the things she asks him to get from the shops than send someone else to get them - or maybe suggest that all her children go together. She simply tells Tim to run faster, or find a way to outwit the 'little highwayman' of the title. Many items become destroyed on the journey home, and mother doesn't seem to be very bothered. Also, Tim's brother and sister are so lazy that they wouldn't dream of running errands in Tim's place! An interesting story - with hints at the snake idea used in The River of Adventure at the end.

In Club News Enid tells us of the winner of the EB Magazine Birthday Cake this month, who is Rachael Groves of Malvern. Always interesting to hear of a winner who is fairly near to where I live. How thrilling to win such a prize!

Secret Seven Mystery continues with Chapter 12 'How Very Annoying!'. I must say the Magazine feels different with only this serial running and no Famous Five or other well-known series. Its nice to have an extra short story, but children must have missed not having an on-going plot to savour - except for The Secret Seven of course. Enid tells us that so far more children have written requesting another Famous Five than any other series.

Once again, I find the illustration accompanying the Secret Seven story quite interesting and refreshing. It's not a particularly great illustration, but again is one that doesn't feature in the book version, showing the children looking at the suitcase, which has been left as a trick by Susie. I found it interesting because Enid describes this staircase as being 'a broken stone stairway' that 'went up from one corner of the room above it' whilst the illustrations clearly shows a stone set of steps going up the outside of the building to a door set in the wall of the first floor, more like what might be found on the outside of a barn or outhouse than a cottage.

lastly, in the News sheet section, Enid tells us of a boy who belongs to The Sunbeams, named Neville Edmondson who is a top money-raiser. It made me wonder how he's earning such vast amounts, as Enid doesn't tell us...maybe he was robbing old ladies. ;-) Enid writes - He joined in 1954, worked hard and raised £1 5s. 6d. his first year. He worked harder still the next year and sent me £6 3s. 6d. He did even better the third time and has sent me £8 6s. 0d.! And will you believe it, he says that for 1957 he and his friends mean to send us £10 ! Well done indeed, Neville!

Another great issue. Always good to open a magazine each fortnight and sample its delights! Happy reading! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

It's a pleasure to read a Mr Twiddle story that I've never read before. I am rather fond of the old boy, exasperating though he is. I have great sympathy for Mrs Twiddle and the cat. I don't have a copy of The Three Strange Travellers so I can't read the Mr Stamp-About story, which is a pity. I saw a copy of this in a charity shop recently but it was in too bad a condition, but I'll keep my eyes open, you never know. The Little Highwayman is a peculiar story - not Enid's finest. These reviews and stories are a fortnightly treat. Thank you Tony and Rob.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Another great review, Rob. I agree with you about the story, The Little Highwayman. Everyone expected Tim to run their errands and didn't seem to care that he was constantly been bullied by the thief. The end of the story was a bit of a damp squib, I was expecting something more exciting.
I found the green items in the sentences easily enough which is unusual for me.
I know there are different sparrows although the house sparrow is by far the commonest.
I agree with Kate Mary, these reviews are something to look forward to every fortnight.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thank you, Kate Mary and John! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

It's always a pleasure to read your posts on this thread, Rob.

A big THANK YOU for your latest contribution. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

As always I have also enjoyed your account of the Magazine, Rob, but I must admit although I scanned the stories I haven't yet read them - I am a bit under the work cosh at the moment as everything seems to be ganging up on me at once. Great stuff, I hope it will get a few more comments!