Rupert Bear

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Rupert Bear

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I remember the song ' Rupert, Rupert the Bear, everyone knows his name! :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:Brilliant! Imagine such a photo being included in a newspaper these days! There would be an outcry, lol! ;-)
It'd depend on which newspaper it was in... :P
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

(I presume) the real Jackie Lee once thanked me when I complimented her singing this song on YouTube!

I said before I had two annuals from the 1970s, but my mum also got me a clearly older one from a school jumble sale. It had a big red cover, minus a dust jacket. I do remember a couple of very lurid stories in there, including one where he's shipwrecked and ends up on an island populated with spear-wielding savages. Anyway, with a bit of research, it seems this could well have been 'Rupert, Algy and the Cannibals' from the very first annual from 1936!

http://www.rupertbear.co.uk/the-1936-annual_P6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The title 'Rupert and the Wonderful Kite' rings a few bells as well. Could this be the story involving a secret garden, and sinister gardener who has a potion to make plants grow to enormous sizes?

Mine fell into a state of disrepair many years ago and has been long since thrown away. I had no idea at the time it was such a piece of historical legacy. Looking around, it seems if I ever wanted to read it again, it would cost me a few hundred pounds!
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

That was indeed a 1936 Rupert Annual Stephen, the only one to have a dust-jacket with red boards underneath. I have a facsimile published in 1985 which cost me £4.95, even these are going for much, much more if they are in mint condition. I wish I'd bought half a dozen.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Stephen wrote:(I presume) the real Jackie Lee once thanked me when I complimented her singing this song on YouTube!

I said before I had two annuals from the 1970s, but my mum also got me a clearly older one from a school jumble sale. It had a big red cover, minus a dust jacket. I do remember a couple of very lurid stories in there, including one where he's shipwrecked and ends up on an island populated with spear-wielding savages. Anyway, with a bit of research, it seems this could well have been 'Rupert, Algy and the Cannibals' from the very first annual from 1936!

http://www.rupertbear.co.uk/the-1936-annual_P6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The title 'Rupert and the Wonderful Kite' rings a few bells as well. Could this be the story involving a secret garden, and sinister gardener who has a potion to make plants grow to enormous sizes?

Mine fell into a state of disrepair many years ago and has been long since thrown away. I had no idea at the time it was such a piece of historical legacy. Looking around, it seems if I ever wanted to read it again, it would cost me a few hundred pounds!
I had that book too, mine had no paper cover either but it had red boards, and thick pages with black n white (and red n white) pictures inside.

The story with the sinister gardener was one of my favourites, I think it had very atmospheric illustrations of the creepy garden and gardener if I remember right?
And also the cannibal story - I loved that too!

And Rupert, Bill and the Pearls, I also had that one in a newer, colour annual, and I just loved the pictures in that, with the attic and the burglar and the black cat! :)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

I am sure there must be some forum members, who have read the following article - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... bilia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; about Rupert Bear collector Doreen James, but I thought it was worth posting the link to the article, on this Thread.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have known Doreen for over 20 years as she is also an avid Blyton Collector and certainly when I visited her a while back she also had a Blyton room as well, but I am not sure if she still has one. Her biggest passion is actually Railwayana (if that word exists!) and she has a huge collection in her garden and goes all over the place to auctions. She has belonged to our Society since we were first formed and also came to almost every Enid Blyton Day. She is not on these forums as she doesn't have a computer!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The Rupert room looks very cheerful and inviting! I spoke to Doreen James at a couple of Enid Blyton Days - she's a lovely lady - so I knew she was nuts about Nutwood as well as Blyton. I hadn't seen the article before, so it's great to see her collection of all things Rupert.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I only ever had one Rupert annual - it was the 1976 one, I think. But I can remember reading through it several times, and it included a board game that I often used to enjoy playing. The stories used to be in prose, but then there would be illustrations with captions telling the story in rhyme as well.

Back when Wellington had an evening newspaper (The Evening Post), it would publish Rupert stories nightly, and I always used to read them in that. However, I didn't really like some of the fantasy elements (that's never been my scene), and got more into things like the Famous Five, Secret Seven, Hardy Boys and Biggles as I got a bit older. I think I continued reading Rupert stories in The Evening Post for as long as they were published, though.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

You can now buy a DVD-ROM, on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rupert-Bear- ... OSwI9JZ1ID~" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which contains 40 Rupert Annuals.

All the episodes of the 1970's Rupert puppet series, are now available on DVD - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Rup ... upert+bear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Billy Farmer wrote: All the episodes of the 1970's Rupert puppet series, are now available on DVD - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Rup ... upert+bear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's great news! :-D I loved that series as a kid!

Trouble is, I now have the song going round my head, lol! "Rupert, Rupert the bear, everyone knows his name..." :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Rob Houghton wrote: Trouble is, I now have the song going round my head, lol! "Rupert, Rupert the bear, everyone knows his name..." :-D
After reading this, so have I. Thanks Rob. :x
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

And it started in my head even before I read your remark, Rob. :roll:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Here we are - its always best to listen to something if its stuck in your head!

https://youtu.be/1wZ6Wt-9Zcc
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Today is Rupert's 100th birthday, he first appeared in the Daily Express on 8th November 1920. My mum who was also born in 1920 was an early fan. Happy Birthday Rupert and many happy returns.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member