Helen Cresswell

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Billy Farmer

Helen Cresswell

Post by Billy Farmer »

I am sure there must be some members on this forum, who have read some of Helen Cresswell's Books, I have got a copy of Moondial (a Book, which I have yet to read), the 1980's BBC TV version of Moondial, is one of my all time favourite children's Drama series, for a long time, I had a copy (which I have still got) of Moondial, on a DVD-R disc, but last year I bought the official DVD release - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moondial-DVD-S ... s=moondial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;,

Valerie Lush, who played Aunt Mary, in the 1980's BBC TV version of Moondial, sadly died two months ago, at the grand age of 97.

I have also enjoyed watching the 1980's TV version of The Secret World of Polly Flint, on 2 DVD-R discs.
Last edited by Billy Farmer on 19 Jul 2016, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Helen Cresswell

Post by Rob Houghton »

Most of my Helen Cresswell reading has to do with what I saw on TV and then later bought. The Moondial BBC TV series was what started me reading her books, and from there I also read the sequel 'Stone Struck' - which I didn't enjoy so much. I've also read The Secret World of Polly Flint, The Return of the Psammead, plus some of the Lizzie Dripping books, purely because I remembered the TV series as a child, and 'A Gift From Winklesea' which I remember being on Jackanory.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I watched The Secret World of Polly Flint a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. It's poetically-filmed and true to the book. Like Rob, I remember the 1970s Lizzie Dripping adaptation (I read some of the books as a child) and I've also watched and read Moondial and The Return of the Psammead.

When I was a girl I really enjoyed the first four Bagthorpe titles (my favourite being Absolute Zero). Does anyone remember the TV serial based on those books? It was called The Bagthorpe Saga and was broadcast in about 1981. A brilliant array of characters including Mr. Bagthorpe, Mrs. Fosdyke the long-suffering housekeeper, Grandma and precocious young Daisy, to name but a few! My favourite storyline was the one in which everyone went crazy about entering competitions, with hilarious results.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm pleased that a thread devoted to Helen Cresswell has been started, as I have long been an admirer of her books. I posted the following on the "Castles of Interest" thread earlier today, but felt it was worth adding it here:

Chick and I have visited Belton House several times and I actually bought a copy of Helen Cresswell's Moondial in the National Trust gift shop there, which she kindly signed for me at an Enid Blyton Day. The television serialisation was superb and I used it and the book as teaching aids for my English classes in 1988. My pupils loved both the book and the TV adaptation. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Helen Cresswell was born in Kirkby-In-Ashfield in Nottinghamshire, some 3 miles from where I live! She eventually lived in Eakring in Notts & this village is where she based the Lizzie Dripping stories! :D
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Made a start on reading Moondial, this afternoon, read a few pages, thanks to the 1980's BBC TV version of Moondial, I have already got images of Siri Neal (Minty), in my mind, while reading the Book.

In my copy of Moondial, there is an illustration, of the grounds at Belton House, at the start of the Book.
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

The 1970's Lizzie Dripping TV series, starring Tina Heath, in the title role, is now available on DVD - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lizzie-Drippin ... e+dripping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Billy Farmer on 01 Nov 2017, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lizzie Dripping is one of the first children's TV series I remember watching! Used to love it! I've since read the book, but the series was much better, in my imagination anyway! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member