Forumites Meet Up in August?

Did you attend the last event? Are you going to the next Day?
Sally H

Re: Forumites Meet Up - 20 August

Post by Sally H »

Just to say I called Salters Steamers this morning to check about their boat trips for 20 August and was advised for us to consider a trip from Henley on Thames that day - they are definitely running two 45 minute trips along the Regatta route to Temple Island (£6.50) at both 2.15 and 3.15 pm. It seems three boats will be used for weddings from Marlow that day and they may have a fourth but can't confirm until later next week.

In Henley, the boats go from Mill Meadows, the landing stage next to the public riverside area close to the River and Rowing Museum - parking available and also at Henley station which is adjacent. Website provides detil - http://www.saltersteamers.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Having had a brief look at potential pubs for lunch, The Anchor in Friday Street (http://www.theanchorhenley.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has recently been completely refurbished and has a covered garden and nice bar area - both welcoming dogs. It is also a 6 minute walk from Mill Meadows.

Appreciate this proposes a change of plan slightly, but wondered if this appeals - Henley is a lovely town and if the weather is good we could also take in a walk. If not, the River and Rowing Museum is definitely worth a visit.

Any interest? This is the list of people who expressed interest before.

Julie 2
Eddie 2
Daisy 2?
Francis2?
Lucky Star
Nigel 2?
Courtney 1?
Katherine
Sally 1

Tony?
Anita?
Pippa-Steff?
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Forumites Meet Up in August?

Post by Eddie Muir »

It all sounds great, Sally, but I'm not sure if Chick and I will be able to make it after all. August is proving to be a far busier month for us than anticipated, and so I'm afraid it will be a last minute decision whether we are able to make it.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I regret to say it doesn't look like I can come. 20th August is right on top of my parents' Golden Wedding Anniversary and I will probably still be in Ireland that weekend. :cry: Why does everything have to always happen at the same time? :roll:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

And I was always doubtful about re-scheduling and we have decided we can't really manage it. So sorry Sally and everyone.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'm really sorry Sally - especially when you have gone to the trouble of contacting the boat firm - but that we are already committed that weekend. Like Eddie, August is jam-packed for us too. In fact, I don;t think we have a free weekend until October. How on earth did I ever find the time to go to work?!

♫♫ We'll meet again,
Don't know where,
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day
♫♫
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Moonraker wrote: How on earth did I ever find the time to go to work?!
My feeling entirely, Nigel. :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Sally H

Post by Sally H »

Sounds like we should cancel this one then - hopefully we will be able to meet up in May next year.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

If it does go ahead, Sally, Izzy and I are both available. I am sorry that your hard work has not been rewarded by a meet-up. I am sure we all appreciate what you have done to set things up this year.
Society Member
Sally H

Post by Sally H »

Thanks Francis but I don't think there is much appetite for this. Exbury Gardens should be a good option - providing it's not raining of course, but that is always the case.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

It's always disappointing when we don't get to meet-up and chat but we've had some great events in the past to remember.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It's sad that the Henley Regatta, was on the weekend when we chose to go in the first place, but these things happen, so let's not worry too much.

We can all meet up next year at Exbury Gardens, and I'm sure we'll have a fab day, regardless of the weather, it's the company that counts.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member