Time for Tea

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
RunrigNutter

Re: The Ultimate Cup of Tea

Post by RunrigNutter »

Yeah; same here.
Know the Lord is Good
It is He who made us, and not we ourselves
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture
Timmylover2
Favourite book/series: Five on Billycock hill, The secret Island, Fami
Favourite character: Julian, Peggy, Jack, Bets

Post by Timmylover2 »

Back on topic.
I recommend Tetley's
has posted this.
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Post by Icecream342 »

Francis wrote:Icey
Sounds like the hokey-cokey in,out,in,out - shake it all about!

Not the hokey-tea? As coke is a drink!!!! :D :D
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Paul Austin

Favourite brand of tea?

Post by Paul Austin »

As suggested, giving this question its' own thread.

So, Lipton, Bushells, Tetley, Twinings...

What do you like to dunk in your tea cup the most?

Merged with an older thread.
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Domino

Re: Favourite brand of tea?

Post by Domino »

I am absolutely opposed to dunking. It makes crunchy things go all soggy. Yeuk! :cry:

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Hi Paul,

I hardly ever drank tea until I moved to the UK 2 1/2 years ago, and soon got so tired of Brits constantly asking me "Would you like a cup of tea? Would you like a cup of tea? Would you like another cup of tea?" - and looking disappointed when I said no, thanks - that I finally gave in and figured, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! :lol: (At about the same time, I also tried Marmite, and was surprised and pleased to find it's just as nice as Vegemite, except not as strong - which means you can put more of it on. :mrgreen: )

I don't like the bog standard English breakfast tea (PG Tips, etc.) - too bitter - but I soon took to Earl Grey, preferably Twinings, and its variants Lady Grey and Lemon Grey. I also like Lapsang Souchong (smoky), and chai (warm spices), also available from Twinings.

For variety, I don't mind rooibos occasionally (though it's an acquired taste), or herbal teas such as lemon and ginger, rosehip and hibiscus, or peppermint. I currently have another very nice herbal that a friend gets imported from the US, called Native American Tea Co. "Chief's Delight" - a whole mix of different ingredients with a very pleasing flavour.

Now I remember the subject of tea came up (off topic) on another thread, and Nigel was expressing a great deal of disgust at people who don't drink "proper" tea, so I expect we'll hear from him soon!! :P
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Its good old Tesco Everyday Value teabags for my normal cuppa - 27p for 80 teabags and they taste really nice actually, been drinking those for years!

I have quite a lot of Twinings herbal teas in my tea-cupboard, as Twinings do quite a lot of nice combinations that you can't get as supermarket own brands, but for things like normal peppermint, I buy Tesco's own, or Sainsbury's own, depending on which supermarket I'm in at the time.
Also Earl Grey and Lady Grey, I buy the supermarket's versions of those too.

I like Lipton's iced teas, the peach one is wonderful, but you don't see it about much now, it used to be in the supermarkets all the time but I haven't seen it for ages so I've been buying Lipton lemon instead, as that's all they seem to have.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Courtenay wrote: Now I remember the subject of tea came up (off topic) on another thread, and Nigel was expressing a great deal of disgust at people who don't drink "proper" tea, so I expect we'll hear from him soon!! :P
Tea is tea - pure from Ceylon or India. All the rest is scented, pretentious rubbish, only liked because it is fashionable to be different. :|
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I must be psychic. :shock:
Moonraker wrote: Tea is tea - pure from Ceylon or India.
Actually, Nigel, tea originated in China at least as far back as the 10th century BC. It wasn't widely known or drunk in most of India until the British started a tea industry there in the 19th century to compete with the Chinese monopoly (and even then, it wasn't popular among Indian people until the mid-20th century). Earl Grey and Lapsang Souchong, among others, are based on Chinese recipes. :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

I agree that some people might be pretentious and know-it-all types who think they're 'cool' for being 'all-natural' etc etc, (quite often the types you see who carry their babies round in long pieces of fabric wrapped round their chests!!) but a lot of people (like myself, hehe) just like the taste of herb teas because they're nice, and that's that! ;) :D

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Carlotta King wrote: but a lot of people (like myself, hehe) just like the taste of herb teas because they're nice, and that's that! ;) :D
Me too. And of course, there could also be pretentious and know-it-all types who only drink pure tea from Ceylon or India. :D
Society Member

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Probably. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Courtenay on 30 Apr 2014, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member

Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

What's wrong with good old Tetley, that's what I say!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I don't like normal tea but I enjoy the occasional herb tea because they taste nice and are nice and warm on a cold day. I don't like many other warm drinks (definitely not coffee - yuck!) but hot chocolate isn't bad, either...
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

I like hot chocolate too! :D

I never used to like coffee when I was your age either, my dad used to drink tons of it and I could never understand what he saw in it, haha, but now I'm older I love it, I can't function unless I've had a cup of coffee in the morning! :lol: The strong ones are my favourites, Kenco Peruvian and Nescafe Alta Rica, although the Peruvian has been discontinued now so recently I was lucky enough to empty Sainsburys of it because they were selling it off at £1 a jar while stocks last, instead of the usual £4 each! So now my tea cupboard is full of jars of Peruvian coffee! :D :D

Society Member