The Castle Of Adventure Film, 1990

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
George@Kirrin

The Castle Of Adventure Film, 1990

Post by George@Kirrin »

What do people think of this then, aside from the fact that an extra caracter (Sam - Brian Blessed) was introduced?

Personally for me this is my favourite feature length production, and, although I loved The Island of Adventure film the casting in this I feel is 100% spot on.

Jack and Lucy Ann coud not be better, and the squabbling between Philip and Dinah was fantastic - Dinah being so feisty. The Castle was amazing and the eagles awe inspiring. Mrs Mannering and Bill I also couldn't have placed better..

Any thoughts anyone?
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Great casting - except for Tassie, who wasn't at all the pixie-like sprite I'd envisaged. I loved the eagles and the castle, even though the setting wasn't really "craggy." The changes to the storyline spoilt things and I'd have liked it better if they'd stuck to the book.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

We are actually doing a feature on these two films on the Enid Blyton Day. I agree that Castle was well cast, but even then they had problems as Susan George walked out half way through and there had to be some hasty rewriting, when the producer James Gatwood had to bring his wife Isobel Black in to help out. Round about that time I was actually coaching their daughters, but foolishly failed to make the Blyton connection until a later date.

The man behind Castle, which was a late replacement for Ship, was Ted Francis. He was supposed to be our main speaker at an EB Day two years ago, but he never turned up! He had a video of behind the scenes material which he said he would send me, but that never turned up either!!
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Tony Summerfield wrote:We are actually doing a feature on these two films on the Enid Blyton Day.
*Gets very excited*

Excellent - I'd not reaslised Susan George had walked out half way through - do you know why?
Susie

Post by Susie »

I never seen this film before, is it still in print?
There is always something else new to learn.
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Try Ebay Susie,

I highly recommend it.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I taped this from the television when it was shown. Our two boys simply loved it! I thought the introduction of Sam (Brian Blessed) was great. Although usually a stickler for authenticity, I enjoyed this character.

I love Susan George. I saw her in Salisbury, window shopping. It is my life-long regret that I didn't speak to her. I just chickened out.

That was most interesting, Tony, about Susan walking out. Do you know the reasons behind that?

I didn't take to Tassie or her mother. I hated the start of the film. One of the delights of Enid's writing is that we are slowly introduced to the adventure. Here, we were thrown into it immediately.

I thought the four children were wonderful, Allie was gorgeous, Kiki was a tad annoying, but I didn't like Bill. He looked nothing like him.
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Are you all talking about the "Cloud Nine" series of Adventure? I just borrowed a copy of "Woods of Adventure" from our library, and I must say I was annoyed by it!

Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

No Ming, we're not - as there is no Castle of Adventure in the Cloud 9 series, hence the replacement with woods.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I looked it up on Ebay and it's kinda expensive, and goodness knows if it is working properly. Not sure I want to take the risk. Maybe My library would have it, here's wishful thinking. :(
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Try this Susie

Castle of Adventure
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

I can't remember if I've seen it! LOL that's really bad isn't it? I HAVE seen a lot of the made for TV stuff but I don't always remember names.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Susie

Post by Susie »

George@Kirrin wrote:Try this Susie

Castle of Adventure
Thank You Thank You Zoe! :D 8)
John_1978

Post by John_1978 »

Hi everyone
I'm new here - just discovered the site a couple of weeks ago - although I have been a Blyton fan for over 20 years (I'm 29).

I think a DVD release of Castle of Adventure is well overdue. I have got the VHS release from the early 1990s, but I believe that cuts were made of approximately 30 minutes.

I recorded it off TV at the time of the broadcast - so whenever I watch it I don't bother with the official video. Although my off-air recording is getting a little worse for wear 15 years on!

best wishes
John
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Hi John, and welcome!

I didn't realise the VHS release was edited. I too copied mine directly from television.

To be honest, although the characterisation was excellent, I didn't like the tinkering with the plot. Pirate radio for example, as an excuse for being in the castle.

The stars of the show - the eagles!
Last edited by Moonraker on 20 Feb 2007, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member