70s Famous Five on DVD

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
GailRenard

Re: 70s Famous Five on DVD?

Post by GailRenard »

Hi! Can anyone please tell me what the bonus material on the Australian Famous Five DVD is? I'm curious!

all the best,

Gail
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I bet you are, Gail! So am I, could it be you by any chance! :lol:
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

I really have no idea, Tony. Gary, Marcus, Jennifer and I filmed some pieces and did some commentary for the UK DVD set which was supposed to come out but didn't, but who knows what's happened to it? As usual, I'm hoping one of you will tell me!
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

GailRenard wrote:I really have no idea, Tony. Gary, Marcus, Jennifer and I filmed some pieces and did some commentary for the UK DVD set which was supposed to come out but didn't, but who knows what's happened to it? As usual, I'm hoping one of you will tell me!

Did it not get put on the German version, Gail?
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

GailRenard wrote:I really have no idea, Tony. Gary, Marcus, Jennifer and I filmed some pieces and did some commentary for the UK DVD set which was supposed to come out but didn't, but who knows what's happened to it? As usual, I'm hoping one of you will tell me!
I think I can answer your question now Gail. I had an email yesterday from someone in New Zealand who has just bought the new DVD - which I assume is the same as the Australian one. He tells me that there are 4 DVDs but they have no extras on them at all. He bought the German version when it came out and he says that this new version is not of the same quality and has no subtitles. It sounds to me as if it has been taken from the original videos and has not been digitally remastered. So the four of you have yet to make an appearance! :lol:
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Curiouser and curiouser, Tony. We await developments. And as usual, I really appreciate all the info all of you provide.I hope it's not too early to wish everyone a Merry Xmas and a wonderful New Year!
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Tony Summerfield wrote: He tells me that there are 4 DVDs but they have no extras on them at all. He bought the German version when it came out and he says that this new version is not of the same quality and has no subtitles. It sounds to me as if it has been taken from the original videos and has not been digitally remastered.
This sounds to me like the unofficial Australian DVD release that took place a few years ago. Legend has it that the 1970's series mastertapes were used instead those of the 1990's series. Either that or these are bootleg DVD's copied from VHS tapes?

I really hope that the UK release will not be a no frills, no extras version, I may yet have to place an order via amazon.de after all. :wink:
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I just got my Region 4 Famous Five box set today. As has already been said, it's the episodes only with no extras. Disappointing. :( Even more so if it's true they haven't even been remastered! After all the effort that was put into the German version (and it sounds like the UK version will hopefully have some extra interviews etc.), it's quite a let-down. :( If I wanted the episodes in cheap video quality, I could just watch them for free on YouTube. :roll:
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Gail, is there anyone in particular that we Brits can bother the hell out for release of our region 2 sets with all the extras you and the Famous Three filmed?
ingots

Post by ingots »

I assumed as much re the Aus/NZ release. I contacted the German company and they said no one approached them about utilizing their enhanced HD footage.

The packaging states their are extras. Surely this is false advertising as there seems to be none going by comments above.

The cost is def too high for just a dub-set from VHS to DVD.

I recommend watching the German bluray - it's awe inspiring quality!

Marc
"Dick he said"
"He didn't mean YOU!"
--Five On A Hike Together--
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Jamie wrote:Gail, is there anyone in particular that we Brits can bother the hell out for release of our region 2 sets with all the extras you and the Famous Three filmed?
I would have thought that Gail and the team have tried. It does seem quite an anomaly that the UK seems to be the last choice of country to release the DVDs in. Maybe we don't appreciate that the series is only loved by a few of us here? Maybe it just wouldn't sell to to the general public in enough numbers to make it worthwhile?

I see the 90s series Famous Five (sorry to mention this in the 70s series thread) is available as a complete set. Does anyone know if it's dubbed in Danish or has Danish subtitles? I see the Dutch 70s Famous Five has subtitles that can be turned off.
Society Member
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Moonraker wrote: I see the Dutch 70s Famous Five has subtitles that can be turned off.
That's the '90s series there chief...
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Oh there's an audience for the 1970s Famous Five in the UK all right; a considerable one. That's not the problem. It's the rights. As with a lot of telly series, especially co-productions like our series was, it's difficult to trace who owns which rights in what territories. Thanks to the diligence of Karl and others, the German speaking rights have been unravelled; hence the wonderful (or should I say wunderbar) German remastered DVD set. I still remain optimistic we'll get it released in the UK too... but I won't say when!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks, Gail. That does make sense.
Zar Quon wrote:That's the '90s series there chief...
Really? It says:

The Famous Five: Complete Series (6 Disc)
Featuring: Michelle Gallager, Gary Russell & Jennifer Thanisch

Isn't that the 70s series? :?

Has anybody bought this edition? If so, can the subtitles be turned off? The reviewer says they can, but I like to be sure!
Society Member
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Moonraker wrote:
Zar Quon wrote:That's the '90s series there chief...
Really? It says:

The Famous Five: Complete Series (6 Disc)
Featuring: Michelle Gallager, Gary Russell & Jennifer Thanisch

Isn't that the 70s series? :?
Yeah, but the pic is of the '90s series, so I'd be a bit wary about ordering that.
Moonraker wrote:Has anybody bought this edition? If so, can the subtitles be turned off? The reviewer says they can, but I like to be sure!
If it *is* the '90s series, yes they can. It's also missing Smugglers Top.