New Audio Section

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Tony Summerfield

New Audio Section

Post by Tony Summerfield »

The new Audio Section for records, cassettes and CDs is now fully functional in the Cave. There are already over 300 items listed, but I am sure that there are probably a number of others that aren't yet there. I am also missing quite a bit of information and a number of images from things that are listed. I am a bit disappointed that so far all my appeals for help have fallen on stony ground and nobody has come forward with anything at all!

In order to get decent images and information I have had to buy about a hundred cassettes myself, I haven't dared work out how much this has cost me!! :oops: I have done this entirely for the website as sadly I haven't even got a cassette player, so I can't actually listen to anything! :roll: :roll:

So please help if you can as I would like to make this a really good reference section - there is nothing similar on the internet at all. I know from various posts that there are people who could help, so fingers crossed perhaps they will come forward with a few images. :wink:
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: New Audio Section

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks for all the hard work Tony!.....

On the cassette issue,I have a Yamaha KX393 hi-fi separates cassette player you are welcome to have,still with its original box -if you felt you wanted to have a cassette player to listen to your tapes-providing you could connect it to your existing hi-fi through a set of phono leads.

You are welcome to it on the house-just cover the postage costs to get it to you.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews41.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

That is a very generous offer, Pete, many thanks for it but regrettably I don't have an existing hi-fi. I play CDs through my computer but the speakers aren't actually all that great anyway!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I had to replace my hi-fi about five years ago and I purposely chose one with a tape deck as I knew they were getting harder to find (though you can still get them). I only own 3 tapes - 2 of kids stories and one mix tape from the early 90s but I really didn't want to risk not having one!

Until I got a flat screen TV last Christmas, I still had my VCR hooked up! It's now in a cupboard as I almost never use it despite having about 50 videos I haven't yet replaced on DVD.

I'm the only person in my house to be able to listen to cassettes or watch videos!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

You and Keith have been hard at work! I love the new section. I wish I could help, but I have very few Enid Blyton audio books apart from some digital ones that I posted on another thread.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I have a few tapes I bought from a charity shop last year. If I can remember where I put them I'll check them against the cave to see if they are there. If not, I'll happily share any info I have.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've got a couple of the double cassette tapes,(Famous Five) but I think I've mentioned this before, and it wasn't the ones you were after, Tony.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Thanks, Julie, but you are right that the Famous Five all came out as single tapes first and I have followed the same principle as with the books that I don't load the double ones unless they are unavailable as singles. I have actually just loaded a series of Collins double tapes as the Adventure and Mystery Stories weren't issued as single tapes by them (although the School Stories which I don't have were issued as single tapes first). There is still quite a bit to do on the new Button links as much of the Audio isn't on there yet, but I am working on it and will pass it across to Keith to load when I have done so.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Tony Summerfield wrote: I am a bit disappointed that so far all my appeals for help have fallen on stony ground and nobody has come forward with anything at all!
Hi Tony, I can't offer any English audioplays and -books (I already asked you), but I could provide information and images of German audioplays and -books :-).
Tony Summerfield wrote: In order to get decent images and information I have had to buy about a hundred cassettes myself, I haven't dared work out how much this has cost me!! :oops: I have done this entirely for the website as sadly I haven't even got a cassette player, so I can't actually listen to anything! :roll: :roll:
I happen to own an old Cassette player (no cassette deck, 10-15 years old) which I no longer use. If you want to have it, let me know. Some years ago I was able to get a Radio-Recorder in department stores for about 30 or 40€, they usually had a CD-player as well. Maybe there are still some of those devices available in electronic markets if you are really looking for one.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

I think you can get a reasonably priced portable tape recorder on ebay that will play these cassettes, if shops don't sell them anymore.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Argos are still selling hi-fis with cassette players though the cheapest is £50 so they are still out there!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Here's a link to the new audio section:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/audio-section.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It amazes me to see how many audio adaptations there have been (I think it amazed Tony too when he started adding to his collection only to come across set after set after set of cassettes and CDs! :wink: ) and it's great to have everything together and be able to compare the different cover images used over the years. What a pity there doesn't appear to have been an audio version of the Six Cousins books (unless I've missed it) - they're such dramatic stories.

I hope a few people are able to provide missing images or further information.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Thanks for the kind suggestions of how I can get something to actually play my cassettes on. I think what I am probably going to look for is something that can turn a cassette into a CD, when I have the time I may look into this.

I have added the four-cassette version of The Enchanted Wood to the Audio section. As I already had a copy of this I didn't have to buy it which is lucky as it is quite costly and my copy is also signed by Kate Winslet which is nice. I know that Kate Winslet also recorded the other two Faraway Tree books, but I don't think they were ever released, perhaps someone can help me out on this. I believe versions of these were released in Australia, but I am unsure about the UK.

I would still appreciate any help with info and images, not much (nothing!!) has come so far! :roll: There are discussions on another audio thread, but they seem oblivious of the three or four months that I have spent working on this section as it hasn't produced any comments so far!
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Thanks for the kind suggestions of how I can get something to actually play my cassettes on. I think what I am probably going to look for is something that can turn a cassette into a CD, when I have the time I may look into this.
Tony, the way I do it is connecting the headphone connector of my tape-deck or receiver with the line-in connector of my sound-card and create a wave(sound)-file on my PC. I could edit this wave-file (cleaning it from background noises and the like with the right software) and edit it, and with a burning software I'm able to burn an audio-CD. I personally prefer MP3-files though, you can get many more cassettes on one CD, and many CD- or DVD-Player support MP3 as well today.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I very nearly bought a Kate Winslet Audio Set last year from a charity shop. However just as I was about to take it to the counter I reaslied that the book was missing from inside. I can't remember how much they were charging, but I felt it too much without the book. I'm now wondering if I should have either made them an offer, or paid up anyway. I hope it was the same one that Tony has listed, and not a different book.
Society Member