Bekonscot Model Village

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Mrhinuk

Bekonscot Model Village

Post by Mrhinuk »

Bekonscot Model Village in Beconsfield forms the basis of Enid Blyton's story "The Enchanted Village" and is believed to be the inspiration for the Noddy in Toyland stories. A model of Enid's house "Green Hedges " is a feature of the village, the original house having been only a short walk from the village itself. I am currently trying to identify the various booklets and pamphlets issued by Bekonscot both before and after the Enchanted Village booklet issued in 1953 and I would be interested to hear from members who have any such documents. Thanking you in advance for your interest.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Bekonscot Model Village

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

You can still buy this booklet of the model village, Mrhinuk, so I'm not sure reading your posting, if you're asking has anyone got a copy to sell.

I've visited this village, and personally I wouldn't say that it is only a short walk from where Enid's house, Green Hedges on Penn Road, once stood.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Doesn't look miles away on the map,but I've never walked between the two:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Bek ... 7e942870e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Google maps say it's 0.4 miles from Blyton Close to the model village, an 8 minute walk. I'd call that fairly short myself, but I guess distance is a matter of personal opinion.

Mrhinuk, there's a review of the booklet here:-

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... el+Village" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My copy was printed in 1997 and has a different cover to the one shown in The Cave. Have you tried contacting the model village to ask them how many different versions they have produced?
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The walk must have seemed a bit longer for me, then. Penn Road just seemed so long. Maybe I was flagging at bit. I thought it was about 15mins or so. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Mrhinuk

Post by Mrhinuk »

Since the publication of "The Enchanted Village" in 1951 and the unveiling of the model of Green Hedges in 1997, Bekonscot have been something of a pilgramage for Enid Blyton devotees. I have a large collection of booklets and pamphlets issued by Bekonscot, but without a definite list of publications being available from either Bekonscot themselves or the publishers, I have no idea of what might constitute a "complete" set. If you have visited Bekonscot over the years and have a booklet (guide, leaflet or pamphlet) from your visit, please let me know. Between us, we could establish a definite list. I would also be more than pleased to purchase any that I do not have. :)
Mrhinuk

Post by Mrhinuk »

Katherine,

The copy of The Enchanted Village shown in The Cave reference is that which was published in 1951. It has the same cover as the general guide to Bekonscot published in 1953. The Enchanted Village was reprinted in a somewhat different format in 1997 as per your copy, which was subsequently reprinted again in 2008. The later edition can be purchased in the Bekonscot shop (I guess while stocks last) for less than £1.

I have been in contact with Bekonscot regarding the number of Bekonscot guides which have been produced. I am yet to receive a reply. My own collection now totals 34 between the years 1938 and 2014. :)

Katharine wrote:Google maps say it's 0.4 miles from Blyton Close to the model village, an 8 minute walk. I'd call that fairly short myself, but I guess distance is a matter of personal opinion.

Mrhinuk, there's a review of the booklet here:-

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... el+Village" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My copy was printed in 1997 and has a different cover to the one shown in The Cave. Have you tried contacting the model village to ask them how many different versions they have produced?
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

The Red Lion is further away though.... so walking from there to Blyton Close and then on to the Village looks like quite a step.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

A copy of the story The Enchanted Village also appears in this book, which I have, illustrated in full colour by Norman Meredith.

I believe this was the first time the story was published (1952), according to the Cave. :-)

'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I visited Bekonscot this morning for the first time since about 2004. Absolutely charming little place! There's naturally quite a bit of reference to Enid Blyton, such as the model of Green Hedges, and the actual sundial that stood in its grounds.

Some of the information is a bit sanctimonious when addressing 21st Century children (Enid was controversial and might not have even written all the books claimed, Gollies are offensive, the children of the Faraway Tree have always ever been Joe, Frannie and Beth), but generally it's positive and show she was extremely popular.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

And Shakespeare wrote a play called 'A Midsummer Night's Disco' ... :roll: :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

One thing the display pointed out that I'd never really considered before is that the Secret Seven aren't actually all that well characterised or defined, and the advantage of this is that it shows pretty much any child reading it that they too could belong in a similar group. When I was a child, I think I most identified with Jack - not because my sister's annoying (if she's reading this!!) - but because he generally used to get intimidated by the one in charge, even if it wasn't his fault.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

huh! They've pinched my idea, lol! That's something I've said about The Secret Seven on numerous occasions on here and in Journal articles. I see the fact that the Secret Seven characters aren't well drawn as quite a strength, as a child reader can put themselves more easily into any of the characters, and 'become' the member they choose. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

So pleased to see the model village has been able to open again, and that visitors were booking in to visit it.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

That's good news. Hopefully things will pick up and get back to normal for them.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member