Valley of Adventure Audio?

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
ablackurn

Valley of Adventure Audio?

Post by ablackurn »

Hi All

Whilst talking to my parents at how much I remember when I was a child the topic of audio books came up. There is a vivid memory of an audio book/story that I used to listen to every night whilst drifting off to sleep around 20 years ago. One end of the tape had the sound of some children going into a cave with the sound of a waterfall, there was a parrot involved as well! Another part had a rotary plane involved. My investigation (I believe) has led me to think that this is THE VALLEY OF ADVENTURE (BOW 105) by Rainbow.

My question is twofold, firstly am I correct in thinking this is the audiobook going on the complete lack of information I have given?

Secondly, does anyone have a digital copy of this so I can listen to it back again purely for nostalgia. I noticed there were original download links in a post (link below) but these have long been removed.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... =30#p81739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you so much for any help you can give me!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Valley of Adventure Audio?

Post by Courtenay »

Hi Ablackurn,

That does sound exactly like the story of The Valley of Adventure (which I've read in the original book, but not heard on tape). Possibly others here will be aware of the audio version.

I suspect the links on the older thread were removed because there was some breach of copyright in the sites that were linked to. I'm guessing that the best way to locate a copy of the recording would be second hand on a site like eBay.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

Hello and welcome to the froums!

Yes from what you've posted, I think Courtenay's right "Valley Of Adventure" seems a pretty likely candidate, (probably the only one if it's definitely a Blyton tale).

There's a link here with some details of the 1983 Rainbow version you mention:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... BOW+105%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It also seems to have been repackaged as part of the "Tempo Children's Classic" series in 1992 (although I'm fairly certain they're the same adaptation, I'm not 100% sure - perhaps Tony could confirm?). As this one's more recent it might be easier to track down, and given the time frame you refer to, might be the actual tape you listened to as a child:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... o+80174%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for getting hold of a copy, if none of the other members on here can help, charity shops or online auction sites like e-bay are probably your best bet. Hope this helps! 8)
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

It's not much help I know,but the audio version of Mountain of Adventure is on youtube.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I have this version on cassette...but not sure it's the same one.

'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Yes, it is the same one as the Rainbow one, Rob.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks Tony! :-)

Actually its a double cassette version I have, of Sea and Valley in the same box. :-). Have no idea how to turn a cassette into a digital recording though - far too technical for me! :shock:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
ablackurn

Post by ablackurn »

Thanks for the responses so far. It does seem sad that there are no digital copies of these as inevitably most of the original tapes will be lost as the years go by. Hopefully someone out there will have digitised the tapes!
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Robert Houghton wrote: Have no idea how to turn a cassette into a digital recording though - far too technical for me! :shock:
1) Connect Headphones connector with "Line-In"-connector of your PC's audio-card/mainboard
2) Sound-Options, Recording, set them on Line-in
3) Open your sound-recording software (e.g. Audacity). Sometimes these programmes offers you the option to do step 2)
4) Click on record
5) Start playing your cassette
6) Keep an eye on the graphic display of volume of sound.
7) After the recording check out if the noisy parts are overmodulatred or not and if the quiet parts are audible or not. If the result is not satisfying, try recording with different settings. You can either increase/lower the volume of your cassette player, or increase/lower the sensibility of your soundcard. You shouldn't go to extremes on either setting though.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Providing one has a cassette player that works? ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
ablackurn

Post by ablackurn »

Robert Houghton wrote:Providing one has a cassette player that works? ;-)
See what I mean! It's only a matter of time :(
Tony Summerfield

I'm glad I am not the only one, Rob. I have all the cassettes that you can see in the Audio section and in order to get a decent picture of them I have had to buy most of them - and like you I have nothing to play them on!
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I think it was about six years ago that I bought a new Cassette-Radio recorder. You can still buy them, at least German Amazon still has them on sale. It also works with a cassette deck of a stereo-receiver, if you call something like this your own.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

Could you tell me how you found the audio version of "Mountain"? I had a quick look and couldn't find it. If you find another Adventure-Series audio please tell me as well.
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Tony Summerfield

This is the only audio version of The Mountain of Adventure.