Pamela Cox novels

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Maple Syrup
Favourite book/series: St. Clares; Malory Towers

Pamela Cox novels

Post by Maple Syrup »

I would like to know where in Canada I can purchase the new St. Clare's and Malory Towers novels written by Pamela Cox. I'm ok with either online purchasing or at a store.

Thanks.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Pamela Cox novels

Post by Eddie Muir »

They are available from Amazon.com, Nancy.

Check the following link for details:

http://www.amazon.com/Pamela-Cox/e/B003 ... sr=1-2-ent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Isn't Google wonderful? I often wonder why more people don't use it. :D
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

NSA?
Maple Syrup
Favourite book/series: St. Clares; Malory Towers

Post by Maple Syrup »

Thanks Eddie. I had seen them for sale on Amazon, but wasn't sure if they were still available, as the date I saw was from 2009. This link seems more recent, so hopefully I can get the books I want.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

Good luck obtaining the books, Nancy. I've read and enjoyed all Pamela Cox's novels. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I got a 12 book collection for £13 once at WHSmiths. Otherwise it was going to be £4.99 per book so it was a great deal. Obviously this deal will have long run out but its useful looking for deals in your local bookshops as well as online; you might just spot a bargain! :D

Here's the six you want: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enid-Blyton-M ... 3f26af952c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here's the whole 12 book collection for just a few pounds more in postage!: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENID-BLYTON-M ... 35cb22ab55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have read all the Pamela Cox novels and they are nicely written and entertaining - definately worth a read. Hope you enjoy them when you do get them.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Re: Pamela Cox novels good, but covers pretty awful.

Post by MJE »

Moonraker wrote:Isn't Google wonderful? I often wonder why more people don't use it. :D
     Perhaps this is a joke whose point I miss - but I thought everyone *did* use it.

I think Pamela Cox's books are worth reading, and can be very enjoyable without having to be exactly in Enid Blyton's style. But I think those covers, as shown in those eBay sales, are a bit of a disaster, to be honest, and give a most unflattering presentation of the books - makes them appear to be rather trashy cartoons, almost. Still, I guess if those are the only editions available, you can't let that put you off. A pity Enid Blyton's own original St. Clare's books also have that style of cover now.
     Still, I guess it doesn't worry me personally, since I almost always buy pre-1970 copies of Enid Blyton's books anyway - it's only with newly written add-on books that I buy new copies, wince over the covers in most cases, and just get on and read the book, and try also to ignore the internal illustrations, if those are also present.
     I won't say all or even most current illustrations are rather poor - I haven't seen enough to generalize to that degree; but I have to say I have encountered some that didn't impress me much. For instance, I'm not at all keen on those illustrations in Sue Welford's "Just George" books, which make George look about 4 or 5 years old, and make even the adults look like gigantic versions of toddlers.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Re: Pamela Cox novels - why is E.B.'s name alone on the covers?

Post by MJE »

I also think it is quite a bit less than fully honest and straightforward that Pamela Cox's books have Enid Blyton's name on the cover, as if Blyton had written them, whereas Cox's own name does not appear (so far as I could see) to be on the covers at all. I suppose it is on the title page - but it should be on the cover too.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Shortly before Chorion sold the Enid Blyton copyright they had asked publishers of continuation novels to start putting the name of the real author on the front cover (if they didn't do so already) - though that rule would only apply when the next edition came out. The continuation books had been discussed on The One Show and a trading standards officer had concluded that Enid Blyton's signature was being used not merely as a trademark, but as a way of deceiving readers about who had written the stories:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... t=one+show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know what the position is since Hachette UK/Hodder took over the copyright.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Giving ourselves a bit of a plug here, we will shortly be starting the third Malory Towers sequel by Lisa Newton as our weekly serial. Lisa actually wrote her four books before Pamela Cox and she sent the first one to me to read as she wanted it to go to Chorion as she hoped that Egmont might consider publishing it. I had to break the news to Lisa that although she had not at the time started writing them, Egmont had just signed a contract with Pamela Cox for six new Malory Towers books (she had already done two of the St. Clare's books for them). Lisa was devastated but I told her that I would do my best to get her books onto our website at some stage so at least people would have a chance to read them. Sadly Lisa died before I was able to put the first one up, but her twin sister, Trudi, has been sending them to me, one at a time and we will shortly be starting Felicity's 5th Form at Malory Towers. It is a good read and I hope that our members will enjoy it.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Sorry to hear Lisa was too late with her Malory Towers novels. Personally, I find her novels more accurate and original than Pamela Cox's and I think her stories definitely deserve a lot of recognition. I am reading 'Felicity In the Third Form' so far and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
MJE wrote:I also think it is quite a bit less than fully honest and straightforward that Pamela Cox's books have Enid Blyton's name on the cover, as if Blyton had written them, whereas Cox's own name does not appear (so far as I could see) to be on the covers at all.
I have all of Pamela Cox's sequels and her name is written on the cover in tiny font at the bottom of the page in a yellow rectangle. I don't believe the names are written on the books that are sold individually, but my box set versions do (Don't know why this is...) I also have the St Clares sequels which shows no display of Pamela Cox's name on the front cover, but is written in small font on the back of the book. I think it is important to display Enid's name on the front covers, as the books do consist of her characters, but I think it is important to have the authors name there, too, clearly indicating they are the author. I own the box set of Naughtiest Girl books and sequels by Anne Digby and each of these books state clearly on the front cover the real authors name.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member