The Secret Of The Old Mill

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Tony Summerfield

Re: The Secret Of The Old Mill

Post by Tony Summerfield »

When Award published the book in 1994 I was unable to find a copy anywhere (no internet then!) and eventually I had to write to Award and buy a copy from them.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Ah, the "good" old days :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Daisy wrote:I think there are a lot of us who would like a copy of that book!
Me, too. I'm searching for more than 2 years. No luck.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

If all you want is the actual story, there is a very easy answer as it is included in this book.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... Collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want it with the Eileen Soper illustrations then you are going to need the original book, as the Award book pictured at the start of this thread does not have them. That Award book seems almost as difficult to find as the original, but at least if you do find it the price would be much more friendly! :D
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Hi Tony,

Because I'm near-sighted paperbacks are no option for me :(.
I'm searching for an older hardcover copy with Soper's illustrations.
BTW did Soper illustrate the other sequels as well?

Cheers,
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Because I'm near-sighted paperbacks are no option for me
:?
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:
:?:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I'm like you Chrissie and have to wear reading glasses which is a shame because I'd love to read this paperback.. :cry:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Secret-Perf ... 1556436777" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Author David De Angelis’s search for a cure for nearsightedness was both professional and personal, since he suffered from the disease himself. An expert in muscular work dynamics, he discovered through extensive testing and an immersion in decades of scientific studies that working the extrinsic ocular muscles could preserve sight and re-educate the eyes toward better vision. He came to understand the importance of retinal defocus for transforming ocular refractive status. In this book, the author shares both the science and the “secret”–progressive retinal defocus technique–of how he was able to reverse his own myopia. The system’s efficacy, he says, comes from the fact that it directly intervenes with the causes that generate myopia onset and development (overaccommodative/near-point stress). When adequately stimulated by the simple exercises presented in the book, ocular refractive capability leads to gradual strengthening of focusing capability and gradual decreasing of refractive error. Written in straightforward language, and featuring an extensive section on the scientific research in this field, The Secret of Perfect Vision offers a proven program of healing to the millions of people afflicted with this condition.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
:?:
Sorry Chrissie - the puzzled smilie isn't that obvious! I was just confused as to why you couldn't read paperbacks because you're short sighted.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I think Nigel means he's confused - so am I, to be honest. I'm also short-sighted (British/Australian term for near-sighted), but I have no trouble reading even quite small print, with or without my glasses. It's things at some distance that I can't see clearly without glasses - books at a "normal" reading distance are fine.

Usually, it's long-sightedness or similar conditions that make it difficult to read small print. But then, why not get reading glasses? 8) Many people find simple magnifying ones work well enough - you can try them out and buy them at the chemist without needing an optician's prescription.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Usually, it's long-sightedness... that makes it difficult to read small print
Yes, that's correct. I was always long-sighted, and used off the peg reading glasses for years. Now, in my advanced years, I wear glasses for all-round vision all the time. In any case, surely the size of print is the same whether the book is hard-backed or paper-backed.
Society Member
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

Oh good, I'm glad it's not just me that was confused then. I didn't like to say anything in case it was something blindingly obvious but I too can't see the difference between reading paperbacks and hardbacks even with poor eyesight. If anything I would have thought it was easier to read paperbacks (especially in bed) as they're lighter and easier to handle.
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

walter raleigh wrote:I didn't like to say anything in case it was something blindingly obvious...
Pun not intended? :lol: 8)

On top of what I said earlier, I too can't quite grasp why paperbacks specifically would make a difference to someone who has difficulty reading. I don't believe I've ever noticed that paperbacks have much smaller print than hardcovers on average, although some probably do. I have a non-fiction paperback here at my elbow, and it has what I would consider slightly larger than average print - even though the book is almost 700 pages long!

Why then should all paperbacks be ruled out instantly as unreadable, especially when one hasn't seen the print size of the book in question? :? And again, why not try glasses? I know if I started to find I couldn't read normal-size print, I wouldn't hesitate to do something about it - I couldn't bear not being able to read!! :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

As they say on TV programmes, "Over to you, Chrissie!"
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:I'm like you Chrissie and have to wear reading glasses which is a shame because I'd love to read this paperback.. :cry:
Author David De Angelis’s search for a cure for nearsightedness was both professional and personal, since he suffered from the disease himself.
That sounds interesting! Thank you, Pete.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock