FF Game Book Cards/etc.

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: FF Game Book Cards/etc.

Post by Courtenay »

Just found the original 1950s Famous Five card game on eBay, complete and in reasonable condition, at what I would call a fair enough price — if anyone here is interested! :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-PEPYS ... 1629103976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't worry, I won't be fighting anyone for it — but if they ever have the Find-Outers or Faraway Tree card games in good condition at a similar price, I'd snap them up in seconds!! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

A fair price? £25? It looks as if it has been recued from a landfill site!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've got a set somewhere, but where is a complete mystery!! :roll:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I had the Famous Five game and the Faraway Tree one but when I left home they stayed with my younger sisters and I never knew what happened to them - the cards not my sisters :wink: . Four of the Blyton jigsaws went the same way. Fortunately all my books remained in tact and I still have them.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

A pity about the four jigsaws, complete Famous Fives ones can sell for up to £200 each now! :cry:
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Thanks Tony.. that's cheered me up no end! :lol:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I have all the card games - think I bought them all at EB Days. I love them all for the great artwork. £25 does seem a little steep, given the condition of the box etc. Mine is in much better condition but I paid £35 and that was in about 2005.

I think I like the Find Out! card game best - again - great artwork as can be seen in The Cave, apart from the close up of Goon, who looks like a woman! I think that cost around £30.

I also have The Secret Seven card game, plus the 1970's re-issue of The Famous Five card game, which was based on the TV series, the Faraway Tree card game and Noddy Snap (1950's version) and Noddy Happy Families. The Happy Families game was the most expensive - but I always attended EB Days with generous friends/relations. ;-) It cost £50. So none of these card games are cheap!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Robert Houghton wrote: I think I like the Find Out! card game best - again - great artwork as can be seen in The Cave, apart from the close up of Goon, who looks like a woman!
True. :shock: What also puzzles me is that Inspector Jenks is named as "Inspector Jennings" in the card game. I can't imagine where they got that from — as far as I know, Enid never called him that, not even in Banshee Towers! :wink:

I love the illustrations in that one too, though — they look close to how I would imagine all the characters, other than Mr(s) Goon. I'd willingly pay £30 or so for a complete Find Out! game in decent condition. None at all currently available on eBay or anywhere else I can see online, but I live in hope... 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Courtenay wrote:What also puzzles me is that Inspector Jenks is named as "Inspector Jennings" in the card game. I can't imagine where they got that from — as far as I know, Enid never called him that, not even in Banshee Towers! :wink:
Funnily enough, the real-life inspiration for Inspector Jenks was an Inspector Jennings:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... t=jennings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Fascinating, Anita — thanks! :D Maybe the card designers at Pepys had heard that the "real" Inspector Jenks was an Inspector Jennings and someone got their wires crossed...

PS. Just had a look on eBay and someone from (would you believe) Australia is now flogging off several individual Find Out! cards for $5.00 apiece (+ $3.35 international postage). Hmpf. I'll wait for the entire game to come along, thank you very much. :P
Society Member