FF Game Book Cards/etc.

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

FF Game Book Cards/etc.

Post by Poppy »

Hello everyone!
Bought a 'Famous Five Game Book' today from the charity shop - I already had one, but never thought much about it. Apparently, there is a set of cards, a map and a dice to go with the book - (this is the set below):

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... IMBJODrwkQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was wondering if anyone had a spare set I could buy, please? Also, is it the same set of things needed for every book, does anyone know? Thanks!

Poppy.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: FF Game Book Cards/etc.

Post by Wolfgang »

Poppy,

are you talking by chance about these?
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/cont ... =fivegames
As it seems the items for every book are different, e.g. you can't use the torch that you got for one book with another one (successfully).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I have quite a few of the books, but unfortunately I don't think I have any spare cards etc. Some of mine are missing a few bits, but some pieces like the dice can be used between the different games. It's really frustrating when I see them in charity shops for about 50p and then realise they have half the pieces missing. Full sets can be bought, but aren't as cheap.

Hopefully you'll be able to track down the bits you need Poppy.
Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Thanks Katharine and Wolfgang - I only have the book (I have two) The Wreckers Way and The Secret Airfield books, and they didn't come with the cards. Does anyone know how they were sold with the cards/dice/etc? I might have a quick look on eBay to see what I can find. Anyway, thanks for your help!
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Buying second hand without seeing the items is gambling. If you buy on ebay you can always ask the seller if the set is complete - Tony listed the accessories so you can make sure. I bought all 8 books, unfortunately only 2 had the equipment.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Most of the pieces shown in the cave could probably be printed off, though the code-breaker with the holes in it probably wouldn't work.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

I'm not so sure about that - I checked my complete sets with the ones in the cave, and they seem to be identical. I trust Tony to be as authentic as can be. If you can print out things with the right dimension, it should work.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Thanks Wolfgang and Fiona. Nobody on eBay seems to be selling the cards, but some of the books are selling. I might have a go at printing them out, but of course the code breaker wouldn't work, as you said, Fiona. I'm sure I could try and cut the holes out as close as I can to the original card. Thanks for your ideas. I will have a quick look on amazon just before I do go printing out, just in case, though something tells me this will be the cheapest and quickest way around things! :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Poppy, I think printing them off is your best option. I think it's unlikely that the accessories will be sold separately, as they are more likely to get lost or spoilt than the books. As I mentioned before, I've seen quite a few of the books over the past few years, but many of them are incomplete as games.
Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Thanks for your advice, Katharine. I can't seem to find anything on amazon either - only the books. I think I will just print them out. Have you completed any of the books as a game - if so, are they good? Thanks! :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Poppy, I did play a couple of the games with my children when I first got them. So actually, I've probably had them about 3 or 4 years thinking about it, as I doubt they'd have played them if I only got them a year or so ago as I originally thought. I think my 7 year old would probably enjoy them now, so next time we can't think of a game to play I'll dig one of them out.

As it was a few years ago now, I can't remember much about them, I think they were ok. I'll let you know if I play one this weekend, what we thought of it. I'll definitely make the effort, as it will encourage her reading skills and be fun at the same time - she does like the FF.
Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Thanks Katharine, so is it a game you can play with someone, as well as on your own? It sounds very interesting, perhaps I should have a read through of the instuctions! :D :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

From what I remember you could play it by yourself, but like a lot of things, it's more fun with someone else.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Well, I dug out my box of the games, and discovered to my delight that I actually have the whole set of books, complete with dice and accessories. Picked one at random - The Whispering Island. Got to a point where we needed to use the Code Breaker, and couldn't make head nor tail of it. Discovered that this particular game has all the cards for another game. I hunted through all the others thinking they had been accidently swapped with another, but no, I don't have any cards for that game, just two sets for Wrecker's Tower. :cry:

Thankfully, because of Poppy's earlier link I found all the necessary information in The Cave, so was able to continue the game. So a huge big THANK YOU TONY for scanning the parts and sharing them with us.
Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Sorry to hear your game didn't go to well, Katharine. Good job you had the society so close at hand! :D
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member